PDA

View Full Version : 7.5b installer deleted lightwave?

MarkG
03-10-2003, 02:28 PM
Ok, so I download the 7.5b installer, unzip it, run it. For some reason it's installing in c:/lightwave when my lightwave 7.5 installation is actually c:/lightwave_3d_7.0, so no problem, I delete the lightwave directory, rename lightwave_3d_7.0 to lightwave, re-run the installer, select 'repair', assuming it will just install the files again.

Wait for it to finish, go to the desktop shortcut and change the path from c:/lightwave_3d_7.0 to c:/lightwave so it will find the files in the new path. 'That path does not exist' (or words to that effect). Indeed not: to my surprise, after reinstalling, the c:/lightwave directory is _gone_.

Not a big deal since I don't keep any important files in the main lightwave directory so I can reinstall from scratch (and having recently reinstalled Win98 I should probably do so anyway) but otherwise I'd be a bit upset.

I'm assuming, of course, that it hasn't done something really bizarre like move everything to a completely different directory? A file find can't see anything that looks like a lightwave install on the c: drive.

jbw
03-11-2003, 03:33 AM
I don't think renaming your Lightwave directory is a good way to go. Correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought programs added registry keys and cfg. files containing paths to the original install location. Which although changing your shortcuts would allow you to run the program from the desktop I think it's likely to screw up a whole load of other stuff? When I loaded it the installer asked me to select the directory Lightwave was originally installed to - c:/lightwave_3d_7.0. I have no idea why it would have deleted your Lightwave folder? Is Lightwave still shown in the add/remove programs tab?

MarkG
03-11-2003, 06:41 AM
Depends on the program: many, if not most, don't care, some are so registry-bound that they can't even run without a few dozen variables set up there... certainly Lightwave was running perfectly happily after I reinstalled Windows from scratch and completely rebuilt the registry, and even now I've reinstalled Lightwave there seems to be very little that it's added.

I'm 90% sure that I didn't get asked which directory to install to when the installer ran, whereas I did get asked when I re-ran it after I reinstalled Lightwave. My guess would be that if there's no magic registry entry then the installer gets very, very confused.

Needless to say, I consider the whole idea of storing all your configuration information in one file where it can easily be corrupted or where it gets wiped by a fresh install of the OS as one of the worst design decisions Microsoft have made. And I still have fond memories of the day that my old NT 3.51 machine booted up with a blue screen message along the lines of 'oh dear, I just deleted the registry. whoops, please reinstall the operating system'...

Wade
03-11-2003, 06:31 PM
Mark,

Had the same thing happen to me at work, but at home no problem. I know I did something not quiet right like having the HUB still running while trying to upgrade. I had copied all my 7.5 files into a folder so was able to get back up and running quickly. However I have tried to install 7.5b a few more times, and it deleats the 7.5 folder each time. Hope that a clean install of 7.5 then patching to 7.5b will work next time. Have not had time to try but 7.5 does all I need so no hurry for me.

Wade

MarkG
03-11-2003, 07:04 PM
Yeah, it didn't seem to have any problem after I reinstalled 7.5 from scratch (I put it in c:/lightwave that time for safety): but it still seems like a rather major bug if it randomly decides to delete everything.

Epita
03-12-2003, 03:14 PM
its because you are using the hacked version (why would i know) happend to me all the time going from 7 to 7.5 i hope it doesnt happen with 7.5b get some money (if you can) and get LW full legal version

Epita

MarkG
03-13-2003, 06:09 AM
its because you are using the hacked version

Uh, it's a full, legitimate copy of Lightwave with dongle.

Skonk
03-13-2003, 02:32 PM
Are u 100% sure u didn't select "remove" by mistake? Im sure u didn't but i thought id ask anyway :)

The other thing im wondering is, did u have any files in the lightwave folder that arn't put there by the installation? usually if an uninstall program finds files that the installer didn't put there, it wont delete them, if this did delete files not put there by the installer (not the 7.5b installer, i mean 7.0/7.5) then it would have to be a bug, if it does leave them there then i would think it was running an uninstall for some reason. Thats the only reason i ask if u may of hit remove.

James..

MarkG
03-14-2003, 06:47 AM
I'm about 99% sure I didn't hit uninstall; plus there were a couple of files in there which should have been left behind in that case... nothing important, just modified versions of some sample scenes that I'd played around with.

Skonk
03-15-2003, 05:36 AM
In that case id report it to newtek, a lot of ppl do save there work in the lightwave folder and if it wipes the whole thing regardless of what files are there then it could be disastrous for some ppl.

James..

zapper1998
03-15-2003, 10:35 AM
ouch
I bet that hurt

I installed the LW7.5b patch upgrade, and have had no crashes yet, or problems, just really carefull every time I do something with any Lscript's that are old.

I save all the time, so if i have a crash, well then my VB6 opens up and asks if I want to Debug, thats the most annoying thing when i have crash and VB6 opens and wants to Debug

;)

I hope ya get it all fixed

John Fornasar
03-15-2003, 09:52 PM
MarkG,

I loaded 7.5b in three separate work locations having no hassle with the upgrade.

I'd imagine you hit the Enter key too fast and missed the "new directory" browse button - it comes just after the license agreement stuff that I usually blow through.

I realized this because of my 3rd installation - I always rename my directories to get rid of spaces and version numbers .
Anyhow, I was a little suprised to find the 7.5b directory when I moved too fast.

I just took a fast look at the LW registry entries, nothing special in them. You may have had a problem when you renamed directories if you didn't delete your older configuration files.

As far as the missing directory, can't help you there - just commiserate - that definitely sucks.

zapper1998
03-16-2003, 07:52 AM
well the only problem now is my favorite plug Truss2 wont work no more

waaaaaaaaaa :(

Judas_Childman
03-16-2003, 02:59 PM
Actually running the repair probably killed everything. Through trial and error I have noticed that the installer deletes items that are not selected where you do custom installs. So anytime you are given a menu of options on items to install you need to select both what you want to add and what you want to keep. Since the name of the directories is subject to change from update to update it is best to do a TYPICAL install from the patch and simply BROWSE for your existing LightWave folder when the option comes up. In conclusion:
TYPICAL = good
Custom = bad
Repair = asking for trouble

CGPlanet
03-20-2003, 09:42 PM
I believe that when you install the patch you must select where lightwave is already installed. Then the installation can add files to the already setup directories. However when I did I was having lots of crashing during rendering.

hrgiger
03-21-2003, 08:32 AM
MarkG,

The same thing happened to me. I installed the Lightwave 7.5b patch and all of a sudden, the path to Lightwave was gone. Couldn't find it in Windows Explorer. Alrighty then.
I had to re-install everything from LW7 on the disc and up. I'm not using a hacked version either. Anyway, it worked for me the second time.
Luckily, I have a seperate directory on my desktop as my Lightwave project folder so I didn't lose any work when that happened. No big deal but annoying, yes.
I'm assuming 'uninstall Lightwave' is NOT a new feature?:rolleyes:

mastermesh
03-26-2003, 09:31 AM
yes, you need to change the path in the installer from c:/lightwave to whever it is located in the first place. I did that on first install of 7.5b, and all is well (except for all [email protected]#%@%@#$^@!%&#!#$% bugs in lw like the one that keeps crashing one certain lwo file when I rotate around it in perspective view a certain way - hopefully getting rid of some memory hogging services in xp will help me resolve this problem)

jb_gfx
06-27-2003, 08:51 AM
MarkG: The problem is when you installed the update you didn't unistalled it before you renamed your old lightwave folder then ran the installer again.

So the setup program was 'lost' because of different files versions.

Lamont
06-27-2003, 10:50 AM
Why didn't you just change the install to the directory where Lightwave is located on your machine? It's not like it's forcing you to install on C:\Lightwave.

I can't see why you didn't do this in the first place.

What's the deal with users quickly assuming someone has a hacked version as soon as they run into problems?

Lamont
06-27-2003, 10:52 AM
And when you un-install Lightwave, it will remove only the plug-ins and files that came with it (that version).

Besides.. who stores files within the Lightwave install directory? That's asking for trouble with any application.:D