PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 8 Immenent Release

cresshead
01-22-2004, 05:04 PM
in computer arts this month [out now] is a full review of lightwave 8 so lightwave 8 must be extreemly close to relase otherwise it would be a "preview" not a full review and not a half finished beta build.

great news!

http://www.computerarts.co.uk/magazine/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=28216&subsectionid=853&subsubsectionid=770

IN THE MAGAZINE:
TUTORIALS Design duo Identikal creates this month cover with Photoshop and Illustrator, combining textures and vectors to superb effect.
Photoshop retouching tips - turn video footage into high quality stills.
The Flash timeline – in-depth guidance for your animation.
InDesign type tips – take control of your typography.
Contemporary art in Painter – become a natural media expert.
EXCLUSIVE 3D REVIEWS! LightWave 3D 8, Silo and character animations apps on group test
PLUS creative inspiration and insight from Cuban Council in profile, La Graphica showcased and our review of the year.

Jaffro
01-22-2004, 05:12 PM
Will have to pop down the library, i mean newsagents tommrow take a looky :) If the review is good i might even buy it! hehe thanks cresshead

cresshead
01-22-2004, 05:16 PM
yeah me too..i just saw it on the web today and a friend says it's in the newsagents now..so i'll pop open the oply bag and take a look..but it being a exlusive review means that it must be out of beta and now awaiting for the docs to be finished....

Jaffro
01-22-2004, 05:19 PM
Fingers crossed!
I feel a nightmare coming on - i walk into a newsagents, pick it up, nice and shiny with big lw8 logo on the front.. quickly flick to the first page of the review only to see the first line saying "In this preview we'll be.." by which point the lw8 logo jumps out and eats me! ahh

Hmm, i need to get out more.

badllarma
01-22-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Jaffro
Will have to pop down the library, i mean newsagents tommrow take a looky :) If the review is good i might even buy it! hehe thanks cresshead

I'll go down there as well have a good read and see what is what no dout it will reappear in 3D World next month :)

cresshead
01-22-2004, 05:29 PM
nope it def says EXCLUSIVE REVIEW of lightwave 8...on the mag it's self...that's what a freind said when he called me at college..no sign of "PREVIEW" on the actual cover of the mag.....

let's hope it's a 3-4 page reveiw with a good ending!

mkiii
01-22-2004, 05:46 PM
If it's in the shops now, then it was submitted ages ago - so I don't see that anything you don't already know is going to be in there.

I'd take a look myself, but future publishing have screwed up my subscription & It currently consists of me paying them for 13 issues of which I have recieved the sum total of zero. Reminds me of the Keyframe debacle of old - except that I probably will eventually get *these* magazines.

retinajoy
01-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Looking forward to reading the review and seeing what they think. I am off to my whsmith library as soon as poss tomorrow.

cresshead
01-22-2004, 05:56 PM
i wouldn't expect anything NEW to come to light in the review the interesting thing here for me is that lightwave 8 has finally reached a "review stage " so that all feaures are set in stone and working and lightwave 8 should be "non beta" to enable a fair assesment of the new product in the review..previews are for beat software reviews are of a shipping or immenently shipping product....i'd fully expect that the next 3d world mag will carry the demo version of lightwave 8 as a world exclusive like they did for max 6 last year and maybe have a 3dbuzz tutorial for it too.

we're in the home straight here and won't ve seeing lightwave 8 comming out in april or august after all!

retinajoy
01-22-2004, 06:03 PM
Yep. I do think Lightwave 8 is very very soon going to be released. Got an email this evening from Newtek telling us again about the dfx+ deal and implying it is soon to end.

KOlson
01-22-2004, 06:06 PM
I hope its very soon! I am dying :D

cresshead
01-22-2004, 06:20 PM
one of my other main reasons for posting here is for a "wake up call" for all of those who are still hovering on when to get the upgrade and get digital fusion +....i'd say you really better get going or you'll miss it.

all of this though will really depend on what's in the review....no one's read it yet who's posting here.....i'll update you tomorrow on what it says if no one beats me to it!

Dodgy
01-22-2004, 06:35 PM
Oh I had some fun with future magazines last month :)

I have SFX and Total film on subscription, but because I subscribed separately, they come delivered separately...

Now last month I got my SFX, and it came with free Playstation 2 official mag, and a free TOTAL FILM mag....

Then I got my Total film subscription (the same magazine!), and that came with a free PS2 (the same magazine!)!

Now this month, I got my SFX today, and another free PS2 mag.

My housemate is subscribed to PS2 mag. He got a free Total film mag last month...
So we ended up with 3 total film mags and 3 PS2 mags in the house, each type exactly the same!

Mental!

KillMe
01-22-2004, 08:30 PM
argh no bouncing smily face :D :D :D

ohhhhhhhh let this not be a typo or the printer messing up the letter p =)

oh cant wait =)

KOlson
01-22-2004, 08:39 PM
cant wait is right :)

badllarma
01-23-2004, 12:17 AM
Well not as bad as Dodgy but my brothers Christmas present arrived yesterday (I subscribed him to Mountain Bike mag by future) which also came with the PS2 mag must enjoy throwing money away there, it made it to the bin in record time :rolleyes:

mkiii

try contacting them they are usually pretty good at Customer Service there, I speak through personal experience.

<snip>
EXCLUSIVE 3D REVIEWS! LightWave 3D 8, Silo and character animations apps on group test
</snip>
how can this be true when Keyframe mag are also reviewing it :rolleyes:

mkiii
01-23-2004, 07:04 AM
Yeah. I did email them a few days ago - no reply. I suppose I'm gonna have to phone them up. & this is supposed to save me the effort of going to WH Smiths innit.... grrr.

Having met some of the guys from Future publishing, I'm not surprised tho... they are all nutcases. :/

jr_sunshine
01-23-2004, 08:36 AM
It would certainly be a welcome and very very very pleasant suprise if LW [8] is ready to go by the end of this month. I certainly hope this thread is indeed true and LW [8] is just around the corner.

But really... there would be no need to speculate if we had a tangible and certain release date.

retinajoy
01-24-2004, 06:57 AM
The magazine was wrapped in plastic so I had to buy. It is a preview (but a favourable one) rather than a review. The interesting thing I found was that they say the price will be 700 which is a lot cheaper than before. It is quite an aggressive pricing against Cinema 4d and Maya.

Jaffro
01-24-2004, 07:03 AM
wow thats very cheap! Shame that its only a preview. But still nice to see hit hitting the mags. Thanks retinajoy

retinajoy
01-24-2004, 07:07 AM
and I almost forgot. The article said that Lightwave 8 will ship with 1.2gb of content.

Now that's a lot of stuff to play and learn with. I can see why maybe a download from Newtek servers could be problematic.

Jaffro
01-24-2004, 07:34 AM
yea, at the preview we were told content would have its own cd, but if its over a gb then maybe it'll be a dvd instead!

cresshead
01-27-2004, 09:42 AM
just been reading the world exclusive review of lightwave 8 in computer arts mag...well actually it's printed as REVIEW on the cover of the mag but PREVIEW in the actual article...

didn't buy the mag..just popped open the poly bag for a read...
it it was a full review spread over several pages rather than 2 i'd buy it.

still it's a pretty good writeup of lightwave 8 syaing that it takes lightwave forward and it looks pretty good and is great value with adding decent character tools and new ik plus bone dynamics and cloth/soft dynamics etc..
it does say that there's no ground breaking technology in the new release so there's little point for those that have maya,xsi or max to swithch or add lightwave to their toolset which is about right but it also adds in that lightwave has a 196bit renderer and that's one reason that the renders from lightwave always outshine others..plus they say that lightwave is the only renderer out ther that can do 196bits... at the end of the article that also make the point that you culd get lightwave 8, the video toaster and aura 2 for the price of maya..makes you think!

Jaffro
01-27-2004, 11:06 AM
Yea that is one hell of a thort! Thanks for the update