PDA

View Full Version : iPod - finished?

Blubone
03-10-2003, 01:27 PM
Well, I think this one is just about finished really, there are a few artifacts on the remote but I reckon its pretty good.....

Comments/crit?

Cheers,
Aaron

Blubone
03-10-2003, 01:31 PM
Thought I got the pic to load... ah well, try again. :(

Abigor
03-10-2003, 01:55 PM
its a good start, but i think the surfacing could use some work. now iv never actauly seen an iPod in real life, but from what i can see in ur render, there are a few things u can work on. it seems there a plastic case the covers the face of the iPod? if this is the case, its almost impossible to notice in its current state. for good reflections, use the Imageworld plugin to add and HDR image to ur scene. not only will it give u nice reflections, u can also use it to light ur scene threw radiosity. so add some reflection to ur metals, and plastics. also, the cord seems to specular in the distance. maybe its how the light is hittin it back there. but try and make it more matte like the plastic around the jack.

on the relfections on the floor (and u can use this anywhere else u have reflections), turn on the reflection blurrin option in the advanced tab of the surface panel.

and it looks like ur just lighting the scene with a few spots or distant lights. if u dont wanna use radiosity, try using area lights sized up to give nice soft shadows.

hope that helps.

pawn707
03-10-2003, 05:23 PM
I think it's a nice start, however something about it makes it look flat ... I'm thinking there needs to be a few pinches of specularity, especially on the remote unit. Make it a little shiny and give it something to reflect---I think that'd really push the realism.

Oh and if you want to get really picky ;) there are parts of the cord that look like their floating when I would imagine if it were real it would be flush on the table surface.

anieves
03-10-2003, 06:11 PM
as pawn707 said, needs specular highlights on the remote edges. The edges look sharp and the polygons are visible. Also the back of the ipod is very reflective but it is not very clear on your image.

Avenger
03-10-2003, 08:39 PM
Its lookin good but i think you might need to fix up the surfaces. And about the screen. I think that you shud put a glass layer infront of it so it doesnt look like its written on the thing. Lookin good tho :)

Blubone
03-11-2003, 02:37 AM
Hi all. thanks for the input...

There is a glass/perspex front in front of the screen. I agree about the specularity of it though, I have put quite a lot of reflection and specular in the texture properties, but as there is no real environment for it to reflect they dont show up so well...

Thanks for the tip about Imageworld Abigor, I'll try that and also about the blurred reflections on the floor, I did have that already, but I think the floor plane is too large for my settings to show (again)..

Many thanks, I'm still experimenting... :)

Aaron