PDA

View Full Version : Newbie getting killed by bevels, news at 11

adamnldt
03-10-2003, 01:11 PM
okay, i don't know what i'm doing wrong here, but this is driving me nuts. i'm a complete newbie to the realm of 3d modeling, but i'm sitting here armed with 7.5 and mark alban's inside lightwave 7 book trying to make some sense of this here program.

through 7 chapters i was just cooking, then i got to this tutorial where i'm making a skyscraper originally designed from some points. i extrude it, and it looks fine. when i try to do a bevel on the top of the building though, everything goes haywire. points shoot out everywhere, parts of the poly become invisible...i don't know what the problem is. i've had no trouble beveling anything else, but after about 10 tries i'm getting nowhere. i'm sure it's just something simple, but simple minds need simple answers...so someone please help!

thanks,
adam

mbaldwin
03-10-2003, 02:36 PM
sounds like the polyfaces become non-planar--that at least explains the dissappearing faces(cause open gl doesn't know how to render them--?).

I'd say ditch the skyscraper tutorial for an hour and play with some simple primatives. get to know the bevel tool, both in terms of it's interactivity AND the accompanying numerics pallette. it takes a little getting used to.

You'll probably get occasional cases of faulty bevel calculations the more complex your object is--points becoming unwelded, or mangled polys as the bevel calculation overlaps itself. These are repairable, but it helps to know, of the faulty stuff you see in modeler, which of it is your limitiations and which of it is lightwaves. good luck!