PDA

View Full Version : textures and texture cd's...

fabmedia
03-10-2003, 01:49 PM
I'm curious, but does anybody know of any good texture CD's and/or whether they are worth getting. I noticed that there are a couple at 3D total, but I'm not sure if I should sink any money into items like these.

Any thoughts?

Arlen

lyndze11
03-10-2003, 02:29 PM
I just make my own in Photoshop. That way, I can customize it just they way I want it. It's the best way in my opinion.

mE

fabmedia
03-10-2003, 03:04 PM
I have thought about that. I know it's a lot cheaper, but sometimes, my schedule doesn't allow me to be so generous with my time. Do you use film or a digital camera?

Arlen

lyndze11
03-10-2003, 10:03 PM
for textures, like skin and such, I just mess around with colours and effects. I'm pretty decent with PS7, so it doesn't take me long at all. It's not hard, and frankly, you do feel more fulfilled knowing you made it yourself; I'm like that anyways, heh.

mE

dmg3d
03-11-2003, 09:40 AM
Arlen-

The selections at 3D Total look pretty nice... and a pretty decent price. Another company you might want to check out is Marlin Studios:

http://www.marlinstudios.com/home/home.htm

I have a few CD's from them. Excellent quality. Not only color and bump but some clip maps as well.

I've also gone the DIY route at times... especially when looking for something specific. But, like you said, there's the time factor. Using digital would definately save steps (vs. film). But for me, it came down to spending more time on the modeling.

One advantage of using the CD's is, after browsing through the textures on a CD, finding something you never thought to try.

-Dave