View Full Version : LightWave Eight - Arbitrary and Exclude Light Demo

WilliamVaughan
01-22-2004, 07:14 AM
Exclude Lights Enhancement: 5 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/excludelights.avi

Range Type: Arbitrary: 4 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/arbitrary.avi

***Attention***
You will need the codec below to view these videos. When installing a new Codec it is sometimes necessary to restart your machine.

PC Codec:
http://www.techsmith.com/products/studio/codec.asp

Mac Codec:
http://www.techsmith.com/download/ensharpendecoder.asp

Mac Codec( Direct Link):
http://wcarchive.cdrom.com/pub/bws/bws_48/ensharpen_macosx.dmg

RiGLEY
01-22-2004, 07:15 AM
Thanks Proton ! :)

Jaffro
01-22-2004, 07:34 AM
proton, it would be realllllllllllly useful (within the exclude lights menu) to have an option to incorporate lights in a selection set. So you can choose a selection set of lights (or that includes lights perhaps) to include/exclude. :)

Exper
01-22-2004, 07:36 AM
Proton...
I'd add a filter-text-box (with wildcards support) for complex include/exclude selections!
It should be the standard behaviour for every include/exclude lists!

Bye.

WilliamVaughan
01-22-2004, 07:41 AM
be sure to submit those ideas to [email protected] for future releases.

Karmacop
01-22-2004, 08:07 AM
Proton, do the frames have to increment? eg, could you do "0-16, 32-17" ?

Matt
01-22-2004, 08:10 AM
Excellent! These were two requests I made some time ago (obviously along with other users too!)

Good to see them in there!!! :)

Keep 'em coming Proton, even though they're small features they shouldn't be under-estimated how useful they will be!

Matt
01-22-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Karmacop
Proton, do the frames have to increment? eg, could you do "0-16, 32-17" ?

I can answer that, any combo is possible!!! :)

Karmacop
01-22-2004, 08:24 AM
Cool, thanks Matt :)

Now what'd be really cool is being able to do something like this "camera01:0-60, 30-60,camera02:60-0" ;)

Matt
01-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Now that would be cool! :)

Jaffro
01-22-2004, 08:39 AM
even though they're small features they shouldn't be under-estimated how useful they will be!

This is soooooooooo true! I think probably the best thing in lightwave is being able to switch between rgb and hsv by right clickin on the ermm, well look at the pic. hehe And the ability to drag adjust these values is just soo cool. I need to chill about this, been using it for years and still get over excited by this little feature! haha More things like this the better! :)

Exper
01-22-2004, 08:39 AM
I vote for "Cool"! :D

Bye.

lede
01-22-2004, 08:41 AM
Karmacop, that would definatly be cool. Switching our camera during render would save lots of time.

-Lede

CB_3D
01-22-2004, 09:31 AM
Indeed Selectionsets and "Shift" multi-selection capabilities would be a welcome, logical and usefull addition.

trick
01-22-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by CB_3D
Indeed Selectionsets and "Shift" multi-selection capabilities would be a welcome, logical and usefull addition.

Yeah: what if I want to exclude 200 of the 400 lights !!!!! :confused: :confused:

Kvaalen
01-22-2004, 11:39 AM
Great new features!

Originally posted by trick
Yeah: what if I want to exclude 200 of the 400 lights !!!!! :confused: :confused:

Then you check the 200 you don't want excluded and then right click at the top and choose "invert selected". J/K. :)

For those who want to be able to switch cameras, There is a plugin that does that. It has some disadvantages so it would be very nice if this was added in a much more convenient way. If it does get added, please make sure that you can render the same frame with different cameras one after another. The plugin I mentioned can't do this and it would be very usefull for bullet time shots and stuff of the sort.

CB_3D
01-22-2004, 12:03 PM
one thing i always liked was Photoshops way of multi-selecting layers.

As for the Multiple Camera plug, i never quite understood how to set it up :confused:

trick
01-22-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Kvaalen
...Then you check the 200 you don't want excluded and then right click at the top and choose "invert selected". J/K. :)

...now at least I don't have to read the manual...:D

Kvaalen
01-22-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by CB_3D
one thing i always liked was Photoshops way of multi-selecting layers.

As for the Multiple Camera plug, i never quite understood how to set it up :confused:

I only tried it once a long time ago but it didn't suite my needs so I dropped it.

I think (but I could be wrong) that you have to apply the plugin from the motion panel, and then there it adds a channel that you can edit using the graph editor. You set it to the number camera you want at the frame you want. Something like that. As you can see it isn't very practical, I'd really like to see this intergrated.

Bytehawk
01-22-2004, 12:19 PM
I'd like to see steps in there too

like :

"camera01:0-60/2, 30-60,camera02:60-0/3"

meaning

camera01 render 0 to 60 every 2 frames
and
camera02 render 60 to 0 every 3 frames

badllarma
01-22-2004, 12:20 PM
Ok looks pretty useful love the render selection idea (be nice to switch cameras as well as other have mentioned though) but I have couple of questions (directed at Proton)

1. As we see a Network Render button under the Render tab is it going to be easyer to setup network rendering in 8?

2. What the hell is the extra drop down in Layout next to the texture tab in the view windows for? Noticed it's not in Modeler view ports?

3. When is it out :D ok I know just had to ask :D

Matt
01-22-2004, 12:44 PM

hopefully NT will implement a 'click - scroll down - shift click' (selects all items in-between) function, otherwise as you've pointed out it won't aid having to click, click, click 200 entries!!!

Originally posted by badllarma
2. What the hell is the extra drop down in Layout next to the texture tab in the view windows for? Noticed it's not in Modeler view ports?

I'm guessing but I think this is what's happened:

thekho
01-22-2004, 01:12 PM
Arbitrary demo looks cool but i agree with Karmacop about switching our camera renders. That would definatly be cool!

Karmacop
01-22-2004, 05:26 PM
Bytehawk, that's a great idea too! I'd also like to be abe to have the frame rate as say 0.1 or something .. ie, not whole numbers.

Oliver, "camera01:0-60,30-60,camera02:60-0" would mean it'd render frames 0-60 with camera01, then frames 30-60 with camera01, then frames 60-0 with camera02.

As everyone has been saying, there needs to be either a multiselection thing like photoshop or shift and alt clicking to multiselect.

hrgiger
01-22-2004, 06:01 PM

Then make a selection set of those 200 lights.

KOlson
01-22-2004, 07:28 PM
Two more awesome improvments Proton.. thanks for posting these :D

Karmacop
01-22-2004, 08:20 PM
I just sent this to [email protected]

William previewed the new way to set arbitrary frame numbers, but I'd like to see this improved.

Instead of just using "0-60,72,74,80-110" for example, I'd like to be able to do something like this

"Camera01:0-60/1,72,Camera02:110-80/3, 111-140/0.1,74"

Where the syntax is <camera>:<frames>/<frame step>

This would allow you to change cameras, render frames in reverse order, have a frame step as not being a whole number etc.

There should be an option for a "master camera" so when rendering out an avi it'd use the master camera's resolution for each camera, but when rendering out as still images it could render out at each of the camera's different resolution.

Maybe a bit advanced, but I'd sure some people would use it. frame step as 0.1 would be good for changing to bullet time halfway through an animation for example ...

KOlson
01-22-2004, 08:21 PM
NICE idea :)

ikaruz
01-22-2004, 09:36 PM
I think everybody agrees arbitrary rendering to different cameras is an excellent idea. My only concern is that most people I know rename their "cameras"(ie: stationary, moving, top, etc.), and having a scene with lots of cameras only adds to human error when specifing the cameras in the render box(Camera01:0-60/1,72,Camera02:110-80/3, ), specially the chance of making speeling errors!

I think if rendering arbitrary cameras and frames is incorporated in the "Spread Sheet" editor somehow, then you can edit multiple camera renderings and multiple frames in a matter of seconds without the chance of errors.

It would also be kool to select wich camera renders first and so on and so on, etc.:)

By the way did anybody notice when Proton selected "Arbitrary" from the pull down menu that there was also a menu for "Keyframe"???

Karmacop
01-22-2004, 11:05 PM
Yeah, when i was writting it out I thought a spreadsheet type thing would be nice, but maybe a bit complex for such a simple thing? I think spelling errors could be fixed by having a right click dropdown that lists all avaliable cameras .. and maybe will prompt you if there's a spelling mistake?

Hmm, I didn't pick up on that keyframe thing, very interesting ....

trick
01-23-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by hrgiger
Then make a selection set of those 200 lights.

Select All
Clear All
--------------------
Invert Selection
--------------------
Selection Set

:D

Karmacop
01-23-2004, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by Oliver
I understood. Just thought it sounded like a tennis score... ;)

ROFLMAO!!!! :)

Kvaalen
01-23-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by ikaruz
I think everybody agrees arbitrary rendering to different cameras is an excellent idea. My only concern is that most people I know rename their "cameras"(ie: stationary, moving, top, etc.), and having a scene with lots of cameras only adds to human error when specifing the cameras in the render box(Camera01:0-60/1,72,Camera02:110-80/3, ), specially the chance of making speeling errors!

I think if rendering arbitrary cameras and frames is incorporated in the "Spread Sheet" editor somehow, then you can edit multiple camera renderings and multiple frames in a matter of seconds without the chance of errors.

It would also be kool to select wich camera renders first and so on and so on, etc.:)

By the way did anybody notice when Proton selected "Arbitrary" from the pull down menu that there was also a menu for "Keyframe"???

I was thinking the same thing about a spread sheet type way to do this. If lets say you have 400 cameras that each render one frame, it would be pritty annoying having to type all those names.
At least have a button next to the text input which launchs a simple spread sheet where you can automise the creation of those strings. If they do have this it would be important that the settings get set according to what the string currently is when you click on the button.

BTW, I did notice the "Keyframe" option. I think there is a program out there (possibly Cinema 4D) where you can keyframe what cameras render when. I'm not saying it is this, I'm just trying to guess what it might mean.