PDA

View Full Version : natural lighting

a_chisholm
01-22-2004, 07:05 AM
Hi, iv'e created a scene with a few small hills and a bridge (roughly 200 square metres).
I am trying to light the scene as naturally as possible but i'm finding it quite difficult.

I have set up a distant light high in the sky to imitate sunlight and iv'e taken down the global illumination to 5%. This looks fine but the shadowed areas are too dark.

I'm trying to create the feeling of a bright summer day. any advice?

thanks,
Alistair

munky
01-22-2004, 07:35 AM
Hi there Alistair

One good trick to get rid of your dark shadows is to clone the light that is your sun and turn of it's shadowing reduce its intensity to half. Then go to the original light and reduce its intensity to half. The result is the two lights giving you the same amount of "sunshine " but half the amount of shadow.

If you want soft shadows you will have to use shadow maps

hope this helps

regards

paul

ingo
01-22-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by munky
Hi there Alistair

One good trick to get rid of your dark shadows is to clone the light that is your sun and turn of it's shadowing reduce its intensity to half. Then go to the original light and reduce its intensity to half. The result is the two lights giving you the same amount of "sunshine " but half the amount of shadow.

If you want soft shadows you will have to use shadow maps

Hmmm, why not make the shadow simply brighter ?

munky
01-22-2004, 09:51 AM
Excellent suggestion ingo I hadn't thought of that one.

Not that it's relevant here but does it work for coloured shadows?

regards

paul

ingo
01-22-2004, 12:27 PM
Sure

a_chisholm
01-22-2004, 02:16 PM
i thought munky's idea was genius, but ingo, have you got a better method? I am at home right now so i don't have access to LW or manual. Can you tell me how i can brighten shadows. This would be better as i guess it would cut down my render time.

thanks alot!
Alistair