to your shell's startup file. for example, the BASH
shell uses ~/.bashrc as the startup file, so you would
add:
. /usr/share/lwsn-7.5b/.lwsnrc
somewhere in that file.

Then, you can enter:
$SNHOME/programs/lwsn ...
to launch the renderer.

You have to give the proper command line arguments, of course. However, you can use the $SNHOME environment variable to point to things in the installation directory.

Lemme know if this helps or not.

kevman3d
03-11-2003, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the tip, Deuce!

Now another question for any LightWave Linux Guru's out there - Anybody know a good guide/tutorial to getting Samba running so our 2K workstations can start using the current non-operational Linux File Server? (and also so our current Windows Render Nodes can talk to it as well?)

We've got Suse 8.0 - But we're not major Linux-heads, so please excuse our slack knowledge in this area! :(

Hiraghm
03-11-2003, 09:54 PM
I just installed Mandrake 8.2 on a machine... installing samba and getting it running was done through a wizard, worked the first time, took only a few moments.

I had to specify the name of the machine, the "workgroup" it was going to be part of, and the share directory.

Strangely, my Win2k machine does not see it or my Win98 machine on the network. It will access shares I specifically make, but they don't show up in the network explorer window. On the other hand, my Win98 box did recognize the Linux box right off the bat.

Where can I get the Linux lwsn network render node software?

kevman3d
03-12-2003, 02:57 AM
A Wizard! That sounds like the kinda tool we need - No mind required! :)

As for the LWSN for Linux, it ships with the 7.5b download... Just pop onto Lightwave3d.com and grab a copy...

Hiraghm
03-12-2003, 10:53 PM
Thanks, I grabbed 7.5b, installed it, transferred the rpm over to the Linux box, double clicked on it in Konqueror, it de-archived it, and now I'm looking at the lwsn file in the browser window...

I don't imagine just double clicking will make it work right.... need to do the bash shell thingy up above. At least until I can get some kind of launch icon created :D

One thing I'm wondering about... now that lwsn for Linux is out... would it be terribly difficult for Newtek to compile a version for Irix?

MikeFrHoweTx
03-14-2003, 09:23 AM
Samba can be installed on most Linux distributors, however to function you must:
1. Make sure you TCP/IP and workgroup settings are correct (you can ping every computer)
2. Configure the smb.conf for shares, proper workgroups, disk write/run permissions (you will need that level to run LW)
3. Run smbpasswd **YourUsername** etc that your sign in on each Windoze machine.(after you set up a password file i.e. cat /etc/passwd | mksmbpasswd.sh > /etc/samba/smbpasswd )
4. Setup your Linux to Start Samba on bootup if needed. I use KDE>start>system>Service configuration (Yes it is actually a GUI interface!)

Links to help you learn.
http://us2.samba.org/samba/GUI/
http://www.samba.netfirms.com/sambconf.htm
http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/tips/Samba-Tips/Samba-Tips-3.html
I have LW6 and I will probably wait to 8 to see this render node (if I Ever really need it).
Newtek won’t need a Irix node since most people are dropping it for Linux.
Good Luck Mike

Hiraghm
03-14-2003, 12:51 PM
Thanks, Mike. Sounds complicated.

I'm interested in an Irix rendernode cause I got this sad-looking little O2 sitting in the corner that I'd like to use more often.