PDA

View Full Version : Motion Designer, slows to a halt.

bwerf2
01-21-2004, 02:30 PM
Hi,
I just recently decided to try out motion designer for a short animation with a dice rolling on a floor. I did the hard body tutorial with three spheres and all worked fine.

Then I modelled the dice and was gonna animate it, set up everything, properties and so and moved everything to it's starting place. I hit Start in MD, the first two frames calculate very quickly, just a dice falling, not even close to the table.
Then Bam! everything skids to a halt, calculations take 5 minute/frame. Still farm from collision. Considering this dice having less polygons than either of the balls in the hardbody tutorial and same with the table this seems very weird. I fiddle with some properties, but everything behaves the same.

I load up the hard body tutorial scene again and it works well. Back to the dice scene, still the same. Tutorial again, now it too stops after 2 frames.

I reboot the computer, still both scenes behave weird and get horrendous calculation time after 2 frames.

Anyone had a similar problem? Know what the issue can be?

//Thanks in advance

wingwalker
01-21-2004, 05:17 PM
Have you sub-patched the dice??? Thats always a sure fire way to slow things down.

I always have a hard time with MD..had one file that took over 15 hours calculation time per frame.

Wheres the hard body tutorial...been looking at realflow for hard body dynamics.

bwerf2
01-21-2004, 11:13 PM
Actually I have tried both with a subpatched dice(that I set to subpatch last) and one that wasn't subpatched. The really weird part is that the scene I modelled from the tutorial stopped behaving reasonably too.

the tutorial I used:
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/animation/m-designer/index.html
some info about simulating hardbodies on this thread too:
http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/27478.html?

bwerf2
01-22-2004, 02:36 AM
Fixed it partly, seems it only works well with one thread, so I have to use just half my P4. That only fixed the tutorial scene though, but I guess it's probably just settings now.