PDA

View Full Version : Out to switcher action

quantumvista
01-21-2004, 01:36 PM
Why is it, when I click the "out to switcher" check box in TCG, that the current CG page is sent directly to program? IT doesn't fade in nicely either, it juts cuts in abruptly.

Then, if I check the VT Vision box everything goes direct to program out.

The manual kindof says this is how it works, but I'm asking why DOES it work this way.

It seems a more practical approach would be to have the out to switcher send the output to the switcher and wait for the command to fade the CG in.

Moreover, why would I want my screwing around with title alignment with PGM out showing up at pgm out?

ted
01-21-2004, 05:37 PM
In most cases, all I want to do is see it on the Program monitor. If it only got ready to send it to program, then I'd have to go to the Switcher, hit Take/Fade, then go back to CG and make my changes. That would be a pain every time I wanted to see what I was doing on Program.

I do want to see my "screwing around with alignment" over the selected item on Program, i.e., TED's clip so I can set things the way I want them.

It really comes down to how you use the interface. I think NewTek looked at sending to Program, as a "feature" more then an On Air Switch.

I can see your point though. But I'd rather it be the way it is, unless they add an option.

Jim Capillo
01-21-2004, 09:24 PM
Yeah, it's kind of useless for live work - mainly designed for post. CG is still lacking in a lot of areas. :(

ted
01-21-2004, 10:27 PM
Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm not defending the CG. I doubt I've done a single money making GFX on it because it's so inept, (in my opinion).

I was just answering the "Why does it work this way" question. This was the one thing I could understand why it was done this way. As for the rest of the CG....;)

SBowie
01-22-2004, 08:02 AM
All of the above having been said, note that this function (Out to Switcher) is just a standard utility feature found in many of the modules, and is not the way one would normally use the CG output - it's more for viewing on an NTSC screen while tweaking than use in a live setting.

In a live setting, one is likely going to use the completed CG files using the DSK, which does (of course) permit them to be introduced into the live stream with a little more finesse....

Jim Capillo
01-22-2004, 08:10 AM
Don't worry Ted, I was agreeing with you ;) :D

quantumvista
01-22-2004, 09:16 AM
The goal is to use the CG in a Studio environment. Bring up a CG page, take it to program when needed, pull it from program when needed, change the CG, lather, rinse repeat.

Seems to be just the thing for sporting events too. leave the score CG up and update the score when a goal is made. ,

Plus, this exact function is described IN THE MANUAL!! No use debating the usefulness of the feature, they say it can do this, so I think they need to make it work.

You listening Newtek?

:D

Paul Lara
01-26-2004, 08:38 AM
Yes.
Yes, we are.

SBowie
01-26-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by quantumvista
The goal is to use the CG in a Studio environment. Bring up a CG page, take it to program when needed, pull it from program when needed, change the CG, lather, rinse repeat.
:D Of course you realize you can do exactly that now by placing making the CG the active DSK channel, right?

quantumvista
01-26-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by SBowie
Of course you realize you can do exactly that now by placing making the CG the active DSK channel, right?

That's what thae manual SAYS i should be able to do. BUt it doesn't fade in.

Wait, are you saying that by not setting the CGs "out to switcher checkbox" that I'll be able to select the CG as the source on the DSK Channel on the switcher, and then fade it in and out with "hidden" revisions as well.

If that's true then I was confuse by what was in the manual. Wait, that's not a good thing.

Anyway, Off to try it.

SBowie
01-26-2004, 11:04 AM
Exactly - set the DSK to the CG, and then you can use the keyboard shortcut f to fade the DSK up and down at will. Also, if you use the shortcut a instead, you will fade the DSK up while simultaneously performing the current wipe. You can then use f to fade it out at an appropriate time. Of course htis also works with Aura, DDR's, etc.

Hope this helps...

quantumvista
01-27-2004, 11:41 AM
Exactly - set the DSK to the CG, and then you can use the keyboard shortcut f to fade the DSK up and down at will. Also, if you use the shortcut a instead, you will fade the DSK up while simultaneously performing the current wipe. You can then use f to fade it out at an appropriate time. Of course htis also works with Aura, DDR's, etc.

I must be off my hobby horse. :confused:

I just launched TCG into Screen two and typed "Test this!" I also verified that neither "out to switcher" nor "VT- Vision" checkboxes were flagged.

Then I flipped to Screen one and opened a VT-Vision and the switcher. I then skinned down the switcher to 8inputs and verified that CG was active in the DSK source select field. I hit "F" while gawkling in awe at the cool animation on the switcher, I saw no telltale sign of success at program out. all I saw was a black screen. No "test this!" to be found.

Have I erred in some way?

JB

SBowie
01-27-2004, 12:14 PM
Hmm - this is odd, but it works - instead of Out to Switcher, turn on the VT-Vision switch next to that, then carry on as before. I'm not sure if this is a bug or new(er) feature. I don't use the CG much, being an Aura guy 'n all .. :)

quantumvista
01-27-2004, 02:49 PM
Hmm - this is odd, but it works - instead of Out to Switcher, turn on the VT-Vision switch next to that, then carry on as before. I'm not sure if this is a bug or new(er) feature. I don't use the CG much, being an Aura guy 'n all .. :)

VT - Vision behaves the same way as "out to switcher."

SBowie
01-28-2004, 06:23 AM
If I have VT-Vision in the CG checked, it behaves exactly as it should. With the DSK set to the CG, I can fade the current CG fage up and down over the Program Out either using the Fade DSK button or the f key. If I press the a key, the DSK is superimposed over the current wipe.

This works flawlessly, though I'm surprised that VT-Vision has to be enabled. I'm sure that didn't used to be so.