PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to edit lwo files?

oDDity
01-21-2004, 01:30 PM
I have one that won't open, and contains at least 4 hours of work which I'll have to do again if I can't get it open.
It isn't giving an error message, it seems to load fine right up to 99% then is stops and the HD starts to grind way like mad until I have to ctrl/alt/del to stop it.
The annoying thing is that I have the LW hub set to save every five minutes, but when I looked in the Lwhub folder it hadn't been saving at all.
I heard that it could be an endomorph issue, and I did indeed make a few morphs just before that last fatal save, so does anyone know how to edit the object file to remove them?

mkiii
01-21-2004, 06:06 PM
I have to say, that LW modeler is by far, the best app to use if you want to try & load a lwo file.

The lwo format is binary. It's not likely that you will be able to do much if your file is corrupted & won't load into modeler.

Can you access the file properly? If so, try copying it onto another drive, or folder. Do you have a copy of Deep Exploration, Cinema4d or any other app that can load a lwo file? It may be possible that they might do a partial load successfully.

As for the hub. I'm pretty sure that the autosave feature only works when the hub is communicating with Layout. A way to make sure this happens is to load an object into modeler, and send a copy to Layout. Then the hub springs into action, and the autosave does it's bit.

This is not a substitute for a good incremental, preferably numbered file saving regime. You need to save a damn sight more than once every 4 hours if you want to keep your hair.

Matt
01-21-2004, 06:20 PM
does it hang layout and modeler?

pixelinfected
01-21-2004, 10:04 PM
a good solution is that plugin http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1844

you can assign it at "s" key instead of common save, and every time you hit "s" it save a new obj in a folder called incremental saver, with a progressive suffix.

i never say that incremental saver is a time saver, you understand it only when is too later... ;-)
good work.

pooby
01-22-2004, 08:15 AM
I have had this problem many a time when adding endomorphs to a character. If it still loads into modeller, then save a new copy of the object and delete the endomorphs.. then it should work ok.