01-21-2004, 07:14 AM
Scene Editor Selection Sets in LightWave Eight: 5 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/selectionsets.avi

Steve McRae
01-21-2004, 07:17 AM
nice workflow enhancement . . .

ufo3d
01-21-2004, 07:38 AM
what is the difference between selection set and Favourite set??

Kvaalen
01-21-2004, 07:38 AM
Sure that is a great feature but it already exists now. I don't see why you call it a LightWave 8 demo. Can we please see new things?

Jaffro
01-21-2004, 07:43 AM
Isn't this the same as the favorites in the current scene editor?
Or can we now select camera, lights, objects, bones to be in the same set?

WilliamVaughan
01-21-2004, 07:51 AM
It's new new and improved.....

-can we now select camera, lights, objects, bones to be in the same set?

YES you can...I'm just the idiot that didn't show enuff in the demo :P I'll do better next time...I promise

Jaffro
01-21-2004, 07:53 AM
hehe no problem proton :)
Thanks for the clip :)

MrWyatt
cool
:D

CB_3D
LOL;)

MrWyatt
01-21-2004, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by CB_3D
:confused:
:rolleyes:

Kvaalen
01-21-2004, 08:03 AM
Could you please explain how it was improved?
If I remember correctly with the favriot sets there was a limit to the amount you could have. I hope with these you don't.

I'm also wondering if a new one is really needed when it just needs a little modifying.

I'm not complaining that it was redone, but that the time spent on that could (IMO) have been spent better.

Will some plugins that use favorite sets still work with this or will we have to use the origional scene editor for them to work? Please don't ignore this question.

PaQ
01-21-2004, 08:03 AM
will the group list be accessible somewhere in the interface (under items tabs for ex.) so we don't have to open the scene editor everytime we just want to select a group >???

Matt
01-21-2004, 08:10 AM
Nice! :)

I'm wondering, would access to selection sets (and the ability to create them) be useful on the main window too, next to the current item popup menu (see below).

That way if you were wanting to mass edit stuff _without_ using the scene editor (so you could see the effects without the scene editor window being in the way) it would save having to open it up, load a selection set, close it down, it would be right there.

(edit: PaQ can't believe you posted that while I was posting mine! Great minds an all that! :) )

MrWyatt
01-21-2004, 08:13 AM
wow. that would be so cool. can we have that proton?
:rolleyes:

PaQ
01-21-2004, 08:19 AM
:cool:

wiremuse
01-21-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Matt
Nice! :)

I'm wondering, would access to selection sets (and the ability to create them) be useful on the main window too, next to the current item popup menu (see below).

That way if you were wanting to mass edit stuff _without_ using the scene editor (so you could see the effects without the scene editor window being in the way) it would save having to open it up, load a selection set, close it down, it would be right there.

(edit: PaQ can't believe you posted that while I was posting mine! Great minds an all that! :) )

Now that would be a very useful enhancement.

I melt at the idea alone.. *soaks into the carpet*

WilliamVaughan
01-21-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Kvaalen
Could you please explain how it was improved?
If I remember correctly with the favriot sets there was a limit to the amount you could have. I hope with these you don't.

I'm also wondering if a new one is really needed when it just needs a little modifying.

I'm not complaining that it was redone, but that the time spent on that could (IMO) have been spent better.

Will some plugins that use favorite sets still work with this or will we have to use the origional scene editor for them to work? Please don't ignore this question.

The Scene Editor is a complete rewrite....The list of things changed/improved/added/etc. is very long....more demos will be online in teh future showing it off.

KOlson
01-21-2004, 08:34 AM
More.. more.. more :D

Karmacop
01-21-2004, 08:44 AM
Matt: great idea as normal! :)

I think what alot of people don't understand is that the new dev team is removing alot of the old design problems LW had. So sure it's just a rewritten Scene editor, but the internals are completely different.

I mean, if what Proton said is true, wont this mean we'll be able to have cameras, objects, lights and bones all selected at the one time? That is a massive change in LW.

PS I could be completely wrong :p

Kvaalen
01-21-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by proton
The Scene Editor is a complete rewrite....The list of things changed/improved/added/etc. is very long....more demos will be online in teh future showing it off.

OK, thanks for the answer, it's what I wanted to know.

For all those who think that there should be a menu in the interface, well there currently is a plugin that does that in a way called Select Favorites. You just have a list open as a floating window and when ever you want to choose a favorite set you just click on the favorite set you want. You can get it here:

http://thespread.ghostoutpost.com/

I know it isn't as great, but I don't use favorite sets all the time, and to me it looks like it might bother sometimes where it is. I wouldn't mind a dropt down menu from the side menu though.

Proton, any chance we can see things that currently aren't possible or are very hard to create in LightWave?

CB_3D
01-21-2004, 09:25 AM
I remember that "Load from Scene" didnīt see Favourites, hopefully that has been fixed.

And Mattīs idea is fantastic, as usual!!!

WilliamVaughan
01-21-2004, 09:25 AM
quick grab of set:

VWTornado
01-21-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Kvaalen
I know it isn't as great, but I don't use favorite sets all the time, and to me it looks like it might bother sometimes where it is. I wouldn't mind a dropt down menu from the side menu though.

Actually just a floating menu that we could have up for selecting sets when we need them is a great idea. I think features like this should be a no brainer.

Karmacop
01-21-2004, 09:33 AM
Is no one else excited by the fact Proton has selected lights, cameras and objects in that screenshot? Can you select these all at once in the layout window Proton? Can you move/rotate them all at the same time too?

Jaffro
01-21-2004, 09:38 AM
Not excited now, was when he first said it could be done near the start of the thread :) Its good to see it too.
I think everyone, including me! :D, would love to see that button matt's suggesting or some easy access to selection sets in the main layout interface.

KOlson
01-21-2004, 09:42 AM
Would love to see that selection set button on the main interface as Matt suggested. :)

PHilly[Dee]
01-21-2004, 09:43 AM
Nice work on the new Scene Editor Selection Sets features!!
quick question: will the new Scene editor selection sets have the ability to pass from one scene to the next? Right now, if I use Load From Scene my selection sets will dissapear--will the new Scene editor give you the ability or the option to either retain your selection sets, or export/import them like the .RIG files?

Dodgy
01-21-2004, 09:49 AM
Ummm, I get an error in Windows media play, cannot get class... Anyone know what this means? I have installed the codec for the other anims. Is this something new?

Yeah, selection sets would be really nice if they migrated between scenes unlike favourites at the mo :P

WilliamVaughan
01-21-2004, 09:50 AM
Updated Movie....Hope this helps :)

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/selectionsets_new.avi

Jaffro
01-21-2004, 09:54 AM
lol nice name for the set proton :) hehe
Looking forward to seeing more...

badllarma
01-21-2004, 10:08 AM
:D second one makes the point much better! :)

Matt
01-21-2004, 10:25 AM
Even better Proton! :)

Exper
01-21-2004, 11:08 AM
Good in listening NT is starting to rewrite LW for a more modern app style! :)

Bye.

Kvaalen
01-21-2004, 12:52 PM
Well I must admit that this time Proton did do it right. Great job, well explained. (Even though I understood it from what you wrote in this thread.) :)

papou
01-21-2004, 03:12 PM
Thanks Proton for all videos!

Matt: great idea !!!!!!

Actually i have to scroll along my hundred and more objects...pff, If Matt idea will become real...what a workflow improvement

Philipp
01-21-2004, 03:22 PM
proton, I especially like your subtile sense of humour :p
and you'll surely need alot of it ...

Matt: superb idea, it's those little enhancements that help optimizing the workflow, and as I've seen until now, NT does a good job adding workflow enhancements.

bye
philipp

ToonShady
01-21-2004, 08:55 PM
well i wish proton would remove the scene editor out of the way at the end of the second video so we can see for sure that items of different types can indeed be selected in layout.