PDA

View Full Version : Trajectory modeling and rendering

mbrost
03-10-2003, 11:47 AM
I am a new user trying to show a missile trajectory over the earth using a globe view. I have accomplished this by using a multiple particle emitters, but rendering time is extremely slow and the particles do not follow the exact shape of the path. Is there a way to accomplish this by using morphs or extrusions? Or, does anybody have any other suggestions to make this easier?

Please either post on here or you can email me at [email protected]

Simon
03-10-2003, 01:23 PM
Hi,

Sorry not too sure if I understand this (post a picture to clarify the problem) ... do you mean you want the particles to stream behind your moving missile and stay together in a stationary tight path? Most of the settings will make them deviate from this path, like explosion, vibration, weight, gravity, winds, motion settings, so having all those set to zero (or close to zero) and have the emitter generate by 'speed' should be quite easy to get them to stay together like that. Or if you wanted the particles to move away from a stationary emitter along a fixed path use a wind set to 'path' and just move the wind around? Hope I'm going in the right direction there (no pun intended) ....

Simon.

mbrost
03-10-2003, 02:15 PM
Simon,

Thanks for your response. I hope the attached pic helps. What is shows is a "rough" trajectory with multiple colors. What I am trying to do is create this trajectory in LW and grow it over time (meaning: at t=0 there is no trajectory shown and at t=x the full trajectory is shown). My first question is what is the best way to accomplish this? I have figured out how to do this by using a particle emitter (however the emmiter puts a couple kinks in the trajectory, which I do not want to appear). I was just wondering if there might be an easier way to do this.

My second question is: Is it possible to create the multiple colors I have shown in the picture? I created a color envelope for the particle emitter under the hypervoxels tab. Unfortunately, this changed the entire color of the trajectory instead of just a segment like I have shown in the pic. The only solution I have come up with is to add in 2 more particle emitters and have the emitters turn on and off at the specified times and create the multiple colors this way. I hope this clarifies my issue for you and thanks for your help.

Mike

toonafish
03-10-2003, 04:42 PM
I think wat would work is to create a partcle trail with the Spray Points Tool in Modeler, then add some bones to the object in Layout. Make the bones very small and parent them all to the trail object. Place them with an equal distance from eachother. So if your object is facing the -Z axis, place the first bone at 0.0.0, the second at 0.0.1 and so on. Rest all the bones and add follower with a time or path offset to the second bone, and make it follow the first bone. Add Follower to the first bone and make it follow your missile. Check if the offset is okay for the second bone, if ou're happy with it copy and paste follower to the rest of the bones and multiply the offset one by one for every bone. This might be a bit tedious but it works. If you have access to Relativity this is a breeze. If all went well, the trail object follows your missile and you can adust the shape to your liking. If you get a strange deformation from your bones use limited range and tweak it untill the deformation looks right.

grtz,

Fish
http://www.toonafish.nl

pauland
03-10-2003, 05:20 PM
In case your doing this for Bush Jr., perhaps you should point out that IRAQ is in the other direction...

(does the U.S. have secret 'wobbly' missiles?) ;-)

Paul

Ralph Keyser
03-10-2003, 05:50 PM
The wobbly ones are much harder to shoot down :)

Seriously though, does the trail have to be done with particles?
Just building a "pipe" and then revealing it a bit at a time might do the trick (and it makes the various colors bit easy).

mbrost
03-10-2003, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the help all of you!

Is it possible to build a pipe along a motion path so as to keep the trajectory correct instead of having to bend it "perfectly" in modeler to fit the desired motion path?

If I can do this with the pipe, is it possible to make it grow over time? If so, how would I do this? This would definitely make the coloring much easier.

Thanks again for the help!

Mike

Simon
03-11-2003, 08:18 AM
Hi,

"The only solution I have come up with is to add in 2 more particle emitters and have the emitters turn on and off at the specified times and create the multiple colors this way."

You'd only need 1 emitter to do this, just put a stepped gradient on the colour based on particle age.

"Is it possible to build a pipe along a motion path so as to keep the trajectory correct instead of having to bend it "perfectly" in modeler to fit the desired motion path?"

Well I know you can do it the other way round, rail extrude along a curve, then convert the modeller curve to a motion file which you can use in layout, there's various scripts that do this, I think LW comes with one called path2motion or something like that (sorry not got LW here).

"If I can do this with the pipe, is it possible to make it grow over time? If so, how would I do this? This would definitely make the coloring much easier."

There was thread recently about animated extrusions but I'm not sure where it was, try a quick search.

Simon.

mbrost
03-11-2003, 08:59 AM
Thanks Simon!

Epita
03-11-2003, 12:34 PM
Yeah, use an emmiter with colour as a texture. Then set that to a gradient, go down a bit then set that to particle age. have a note of your age allready. set the bottom of the grad to what your age is, then click where colours change, and pick your colour, they will fade but mess around to see what you like!

Epita -who was beating you-