PDA

View Full Version : going soft?

cresshead
01-20-2004, 07:56 PM
seems that some other 3d apps are lowering their price for a special period...i may take a look at them via the "experience" route but i doubt that i'll move over to them "EVER" as they will re price back upto $8000...and their upgrades structure is out of my league anyhow...still we're in interesting times for 3d software for sure.

the only one not having sales or special promotions is max...
they must have their reasons but NOT to enter into a price war could cut them off..i'm sure there's plenty of artists who'll now go to Lightwave, maya and soft rather than max...

and just to note that many of my students that i teach 3ds max and lightwave are looking at lightwave maya and cinema rather than max due to the pricing and lack of a demo version that doesn't timeout after 30 days...

Zach
01-20-2004, 09:45 PM
they dropped there price by 500 bux's.

cresshead
01-21-2004, 04:44 AM
if "they" means discreet and max 6.0 then they havn't in thre u.k it's still the same price as max 1.0....not a penny difference in the whole life of 3ds max pricing!

http://www.jigsaw24.com/cats/3d_animation/modelling_animation_discreet.asp

though their student pricing has dropped from 125.00 and 15 months to 75.00 and 24 months usage.

retinajoy
01-21-2004, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by Zach
they dropped there price by 500 bux's.
I think that is only in Canada. I think long term MAX will loose the 3D app battle (unless it lowers the price). Maya has its rep and Cinema 4D these days is looking pretty good and inc Lightwave they have versions on the MAC. LW8 is looking great and am pleased I pre-ordered it. The XSI trade in looked tempting but the cheaper version (essentials) does not have softbodies and hair (but LW8 has), but does have expensive maintenace upgrades.

Paul_Boland
01-21-2004, 11:59 AM
I wouldn't buy the student version of 3D Studio. The student version of 3D Studio will set you back Euro200+ to get it and then, after a peroid of time, it stops working :eek: !!! Euro200+ gone down the drain!!

Where as Newtek will give you the student version of Lightwave 3D for Euro400 and it's the full package, the only limitation being it is not a commercial license.
Go Newtek :D !!

Elmar Moelzer
01-21-2004, 12:07 PM
Yeah Paul, this is true!
I still have a student- version of LW5.6 here, was my first LW license and somehow I jsut never got to updating it, LOL.
Have to admit though that at the time I bought it it was almost as much as the commercial version of LW is now...
CU
Elmar

Nemoid
01-21-2004, 12:45 PM
IMO Lw still remains a great choice for students , solo users and little studios ( wich can do astonishing works with it ) other apps like - cough XSI -cough are certainly very good and powerful,no doubt, but when things come to build a renderfarm or buy some more licences their upgrade and node rendering policy can be a huge obstacle.

Yog
01-21-2004, 12:49 PM
Now that MAX has radically improved it's renderer and poly tools, the price is the main draw back for many.

Depending on what you want there are certainly better priced/featured products out there. Until reciently MAX could rest on it's laurels somewhat, LW was not widely known in some places in the world (UK) and Maya's modelling tools were even more restricive than MAX's. Now LW is much more widely known and Maya's become a much more rounded program as far as modelling foes.

meshmaster
01-21-2004, 02:36 PM
THEY isn't xsi?