PDA

View Full Version : LW and Camera Matching

HM1X
01-20-2004, 07:45 PM
hello all,

I've been trying to expand my skills in LW by doing some compositing work.
I was wondering if anyone might know of some good books or tutorials that deal
primarily with camera matching/tracking, and also importing video into LW to be used
as bg footage to composite against.

What I'm mainly dealing with is shooting some scene of characters or objects in the
green room (at various camera angles a heights) and then having them match up with
the walls, floors and/or models that I create in LW. From what I've been reading thus
far, it's obviously something of a science, and something that would take a long time
to trial-and-error. Any suggestions? Thanks.

cornbreadandham
01-20-2004, 08:01 PM
Hello, just scroll down to the tutorials section CG Talk Compositing Links (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101533)

koots
01-20-2004, 08:14 PM
I don't have it but i know DFX+ can do camera tracking. I know there is someone on this forum that does this type of stuff, i forgot his name but you can check the forum for topics simular to this and ask him. Lw can not do this alone. you can use adobe premeire but the camera can't move, on either side real and LW . Sorry i can't be more of a help but i can't do this yet myself.
good luck!
-jonn

HM1X
01-20-2004, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the info.

It seems like it shouldn't be too hard to do assuming one keeps the camera in one place. I also once heard someone talking about putting flags, or markers, in different corners of the room to have consistent reference points. But there's also the issue of camera focus and zoom.

I know much of this stuff (compositing) can be achieved in After Effects which I use a lot (I use Premiere for NLE). But when it comes to the modeling work, LW is necessary and the only program for me.

Well I'm off to check those tutorials.

sire
01-21-2004, 08:39 AM
As far as I know neither DFX+ nor AE can really do camera tracking/matching. They have motion tracker modules, but these track patterns in a sequence, not the camera itself. Regarding camera stuff the only thing they can do is to stabilize a shot by relocating the images so that a tracked pattern in the result stays at the same place.

Of course, as long as the camera stood fixed, the tools DFX+ and AE provide can be sufficient for matching rendered 3d stuff to a shot. But anything more than this would require software like Matchmover, Boujou or SynthEyes (the latter looking quite promising for a very low price).