PDA

View Full Version : How can I fix this (img attached)

random_human_02
01-20-2004, 11:58 AM
Ok, here is the story. I have created a text based logo using a specific font for a website. Now, I want to play with it in lightwave and see what I can do with it, BUT I have a problem.

When I load the font in modeler and type, the face polygons face different ways and stuff, it's all messed up, especially when I extrude it...so I figured it was the font its self. I then open Illustrator, type in my phrase, convert to outlines, save as eps and then import into modeler. All seems good, except the center of the letters "e", "o", "a" and "p" are solid. So I copy those polys onto a new layer, (the solid "inner" polys) extrude, then do a boolean function to cut them out of the first layer (text).

Everything is all good at this point, except my letter "e". Take a look at the image, you'll see I just cant delet a point, cant select the poly, etc. How would I go about fixing this, short of using a totally different font?

pdrake
01-20-2004, 12:03 PM
delete the offending polys. join where there is a gap. weld points in corner, bottom left, where polys come from. i'm guessing there is more than one there.

pdrake
01-20-2004, 12:05 PM
make sure you have auto axis drill selected when you import the eps file. make sure it's saved as illustrator 8 or lower.

random_human_02
01-20-2004, 12:11 PM
Ok, I will look into the auto drill option, I just used the default and imported it. Anyway, I figured out how to fix it. I don't know if it is correct, but it seems to work.

What I did was select those points in the middle, copied them to a new layer, then clicked on "make poly", extruded it. I then went to the firts layer and selected the points again, and deleted them, then did a boolean. It seems to have cleaned it up real nice.

Thanks for the replys though

Matt
01-20-2004, 12:12 PM
or, you could split the polygon aross the part where it shoots off and delete the 'spike'.