PDA

View Full Version : Modeler won't launch anymore under Windows XP

svbell
01-20-2004, 11:41 AM
Hey folks!
We are stuck with this bug where Modeler no longer want to launch under the latest updated WinXP. Layout works fine, but when attempting to start Modeler, the interface opens, then close right away. That is LW 5.6, we tried to re-install the whole software, the dongle drivers, no luck.

What else should we try? It used to work fine a few weeks ago, so we know it is not an incompatibility issue...

Thanks guys!
-sv

mattbolton
01-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Did you update anything else besides Windows (i.e. video drivers) during this time period?

svbell
01-20-2004, 02:52 PM
Nope. only Windows has been updated since. I am puzzled by this, usually a simple re-install works, but this time we're stuck. :mad:

sv

Capt Lightwave
01-20-2004, 04:10 PM
I've noticed that the latest update from Microsoft makes layout a bit slow. Even on empty scenes the frameslider is lagging when I drag it....I'm rather annoyed by this right now, so I'd better stop posting...;)

hunter
01-20-2004, 05:51 PM
Hate to say it, but everytime I see this it ends up being a dying dongle. For some reason modeler's the first to go. :(

Nakaleen
01-22-2004, 05:47 PM
I had the same type or problem. Running LW on XP sudden;y stoped working. I was stumped. I searched here and tried everything, drivers, service packs, useing a older LW etc...

Nether Layout or modeler would run. Then I finally found the problem by mistake. It was my USB Bluetooth adapter. Took it out and LW works like a charm.

jin choung
01-23-2004, 03:31 AM
what kind of video card do you have?

if it's an ati, i'll be it's the driver.

if you have not, make sure you get the newest one.

jin

random_human_02
01-23-2004, 01:41 PM
I have to agree with Hunter on this one.

although I have only been using LW for a few month, my dongle was dead on arrival. Modeler would open and then close real quick, but layout worked fine. Now, you would think that the product, right out of the sealed box, would be fine, but I found out that it wasnt. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure this out... as a matter of fact, my first few posts on this board were about strange issues with modeler not working. Once I called tech support and went through all their tests (even installed it on another machine to see if it still failed, which it did) - I had no other choice but to mail the dongle in. It's not that bad though, as they will send it back, free of charge, in the same manner that you sent it to them, so if you send it over night, they'll fix it and send it back, over night.

You should try it out on another machine and see what modeler does, if it opens and works, it's something else, but my 2 cents is on a bunk dongle. :)

(btw I am on a winXP box as well, with all those fancy updates and such)

Rich
01-23-2004, 07:11 PM
I also had the same problem when I had a parallel dongle. Modeller would open then close right away but Layout worked. I sent mine back to Newtek they sent me a USB dongle and I havn't had a problem since.