PDA

View Full Version : Sorry...but... [8] progress update ????

jr_sunshine
01-20-2004, 07:20 AM
Our friends at NewTek ,

Is it possible we could get an update on progress? Are we still looking at "later this year"?

Thanks,

TSpyrison
01-20-2004, 07:39 AM
(Sarcasm mode on)

Maybe...
If we let them get to their work instead of asking for updates every few days they might actually be able to get something finished...

:)

Verlon
01-20-2004, 08:01 AM
Actually, I now want them to hold out for my tax refund now.

jr_sunshine
01-20-2004, 08:16 AM
TSpyrison,

I know... I know... I haven't asked every day. Cannot remember the last time I asked.

:D

I will not stop seeking this answer though. I have every right to know just as any customer would. I am a software developer and if I give my customer an estimate and miss that estimate, I feel it my duty to keep them informed of my progress. Just good business.

Anyway...

TSpyrison
01-20-2004, 08:22 AM
Well..
I know you specifically werenít asking everyday..

But it seems like someone is askin every other day..
I think that just makes it worse..

like watching water boil..

If we could all just relax a bit, and when Lightwave 8 is ready, Iím sure they are gonna let us know. :D

Steve McRae
01-20-2004, 08:27 AM
i think that you will hear totally nothing untill it is released - which I think will be soon

Matt
01-20-2004, 08:28 AM
keep checking threads like these for progress:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16791

cresshead
01-20-2004, 10:03 AM
newtek told a reseller on 19th jan 2004 [onevideo.net] that lightwave 8 is slated for 1st quarter 2004

that's the most reliable news i've seen this year.

maybe newtek has 8 waiting for all the other stuff to be done..such as the demo video's and manual etc so when the reviews are written users and prospective purchasers can really SEE what this beast can deliver.

they want a full on cooooooooool review for lightwave 8.

samartin
01-20-2004, 10:13 AM
I personally think it's near a release now, having slightly gone over their deadline and the slow release of demo vids along with a release of LW8 details/features :drool:...

Of course this is pure speculation as with a lot of threads/posts these days but that's twopence worth...

Gabe
01-20-2004, 10:40 AM
What the hell are you guys talking about?!? It's already out. Been out for a few weeks now. I picked up my upgrade to LW8 from a local retailer last Friday. And it's sweet!! Been using it nonstop ever since... hehe...

jr_sunshine
01-20-2004, 11:24 AM
LOL......

Ahhhhh levity.....

lonestar1
01-20-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by jr_sunshine
I know... I know... I haven't asked every day. Cannot remember the last time I asked.

And I thought my memory was bad! :-)

I will not stop seeking this answer though. I have every right to know just as any customer would. I am a software developer and if I give my customer an estimate and miss that estimate, I feel it my duty to keep them informed of my progress. Just good business.

Are you a government contractor, by any chance? Government agencies are the only customers I know who think it's "good business" to constantly harass a supplier with repeated requests for unnecessary status reports. If I were your customer, I'd wonder why you were wasting all your time sending me status reports every two days instead of finishing the software project.

"Any customer" does not demand constant status reports. Does Pixar send reports every two days about the status of its next movie? Does Tom Clancy send out reports every two days about the status of his latest novel? When the PT Cruiser came out and people were waiting months for delivery, was Chyrsler providing customers with manufacturing status reports every two days? Do you really believe that?

cresshead
01-20-2004, 05:36 PM
opinions................................

some here find that no news is good news...

others find that "later this year" to mean december 2004....31st dec 2004..but could slip again to 2005 or 2006...

others find it "bothersome" to even bring the subject up...

yet more think the newtek should have more than a vague "later this year" as a statement seeing as some customers paid for the upgrade in july 2003 which is 7 months ago and counting.

my opinion?
i believe that lightwave 8 will come out when it's ready...in a month or 2.

each of course believe that their opinion is valid.

by the way i've been waiting so long for that ik booster that i've actually learned how to rig up ik in lightwave 7.5 myself last week just in case ik booster doesn't make it into lw8.0 as i want to animate characters and the lack of ik booster whilst will slow me down will not now stop me from working in lightwave and having to switch to max4 and character studio 3 like i had to last year.

so.....

time will tell.:rolleyes:

jr_sunshine
01-20-2004, 06:53 PM
lonestar1,

I'm not going to answer your obvious goating... but I will say this...

I didn't pay Pixar up front for the movie, nor did I pay Tom Clancy up front for his latest novel, and if I would buy a PT Cruiser (which I WOULD NOT) I would not be asked to pay for it up front.

Good try but none of those fit this scenario.

I'm not going to say anything unkind about NewTek, but they originally advertised the DFX+/LW [8] deal as being right around the corner (Q4 2003). I am certain most of us who took advantage early on were certain we would have [8] by now.

TSpyrison
01-20-2004, 07:14 PM
lonestar1,

I'm not going to answer your obvious goating... but I will say this...

I didn't pay Pixar up front for the movie, nor did I pay Tom Clancy up front for his latest novel, and if I would buy a PT Cruiser (which I WOULD NOT) I would not be asked to pay for it up front.

Good try but none of those fit this scenario.

I'm not going to say anything unkind about NewTek, but they originally advertised the DFX+/LW [8] deal as being right around the corner (Q4 2003). I am certain most of us who took advantage early on were certain we would have [8] by now.

I ordered mine through the deal..
of course Id like it asap.. but im not gonna worry about it.

Kinda like a 2005 Mustang convertable.. Ive got a wait for that too..

Gabe
01-20-2004, 07:55 PM
No one made you pay it up front. If it isn't released for another year I still won't feel bad for the people who prepaid. You're always taking a gamble if you preorder software. That's your gamble to take but I don't think you should be grumbling about it now.

Personally, I think shipping date delays are only one of the reasons not to preorder. I want to know what I'm getting. I'll see what the final feature set is and see how stable the app is before I order it. Again, if this version sucks I won't feel sorry for the preorders... you roll the dice, you take your chances.

cresshead
01-20-2004, 08:05 PM
:rolleyes:

yawn....give me a nudge when this non productive conversation is over please....

Gabe
01-20-2004, 08:17 PM
yawn....give me a nudge when this non productive conversation is over please....
hehe... point taken. Not sure how I ended up letting myself get dragged in. Normally, I just view with detached ammusement.

cresshead
01-20-2004, 08:29 PM
yeah! true....

most of us are just getting twitchy...i'm sure that we'd prefer to see a download button more than another lightwave 8 feature video...though there real nice n all some may feel as though the sweetshop owner is just letting us look at the sweets and talking about the nice flavours, and chocolate toppings etc.. rather than tasting them ourselves!....and some are quite hungry now!

Tesselator
01-21-2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by cresshead
:rolleyes:

yawn....give me a nudge when this non productive conversation is over please.... Wow! Even Cresshead thinks this is non-productive!

I think NewTek should play the joke back on all you worry
worts and put up a DownLoad LW 8 button that just ties up
your browsers for a month or two till it's actually released.
Muahahaha! :devil:

lonestar1
01-21-2004, 11:09 AM
I didn't pay Pixar up front for the movie,

Do you think you're the only person in the world? I have almost $80,000 invested in Pixar, and I don't get status reports every two days, either -- nor do I whine about it, as you whine about your huge ($500) investment in Lightwave 8.

Again, if the $500 is that much of a problem for you, return your unopened copy of DFX+ and ask for a refund. Daily "status reports" wouldn't put any money in your pocket. All they would do is make the rest of us wait longer for our copies of Lightwave 8, as developers waste time writing reports instead of killing bugs.

I'm not going to say anything unkind about NewTek, but they originally advertised the DFX+/LW [8] deal as being right around the corner (Q4 2003).

They thought it would be. They were wrong. Haven't you ever been wrong about anything? Newtek is hardly the first software company to ship a product a few days late. Software projects come in late more often than they not -- if you're a software developer, you must have known that, even in July.

Enough "kindness", Mr. Sunshine! :-)

Nemoid
01-21-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Tesselator
Wow! Even Cresshead thinks this is non-productive!

I think NewTek should play the joke back on all you worry
worts and put up a DownLoad LW 8 button that just ties up
your browsers for a month or two till it's actually released.
Muahahaha! :devil:

LOL !!

So now you have a hellish devil just under your post- :D

jr_sunshine
01-21-2004, 01:24 PM
lonestar1,

Thanks for your opinion.

Roy

NanoGator
01-22-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Gabe
No one made you pay it up front.

Man, if I hear somebody say that again...

http://quantsini.diabloworld.com/stickanime.gif

Steve McRae
01-22-2004, 11:36 AM
that is awesome!! :)

paul k.
01-22-2004, 11:55 AM
That GIF is the best animation that I have seen in this forum by far. Did you make it?

Sweeeeeeeet!!!!!:D :D :D :) :) :)

NanoGator
01-22-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by paul k.
That GIF is the best animation that I have seen in this forum by far. Did you make it?

Sweeeeeeeet!!!!!:D :D :D :) :) :)

No no no. NFI who made it. It was posted on a 'funny pics' website sans credits.

Heh.