PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered LW... where to start?

Turner
01-20-2004, 06:44 AM
Hi -

Well, I took the plunge. I've been browsing throught the manual I downloaded, but don't see much in the way of tutorials -

So, I'm looking for recommendations for sites (including this one) with what you might consider to be "essential" starting points - tutorials, tips, caveats, etc.

Books, too, I suppose, though I'd like to keep my additional spending to a minimum :)

thx
Andrew

wingwalker
01-20-2004, 06:55 AM
There are fantastic tutorial sites all over the place but the one I keep going back to is http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

Also goto http://www.flay.com/start.cfm (For everything Lightwave!!!)

As for books, Ive been using "Inside Lightwave 7"..but if youve just bought Lightwave 7.x then I suppose youll get the upgrade to 8...so save your money and get Inside Lightwave 8 (youll find it on amazon)

Have Fun

Rob T

Matt
01-20-2004, 07:24 AM
Welcome aboard! :)

There are many great tutorials here:

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/index.html

Plus you'll find we're a friendly bunch in here, so never be afraid to ask!

Matt

Turner
01-20-2004, 07:52 AM
Thanks guys!

Yeah, I knew I saw those sites before at some point while I was reading through the forums here... I've bookmarked them.

And Matt, I'm already busy asking silly questions -

thanks,
Andrew

Tom Wood
01-20-2004, 08:11 AM
The place to start?

Chapter 20!

That's the chapter on modeling. I think you can safely skip hypervoxels and distributed rendering, among others, and jump to it.

My two cents based on recent experience at starting out.

TW

Turner
01-20-2004, 08:19 AM
Hi Tom -

Actually, hypervoxels is one of my main interests and reasons for getting this thing! Hee hee...

Anyway, I've been going through the manual with my demo copy and having fun; right now, I'm primarily using form•z for my modeling, but I see LW has some unique capabilities.... That said, I do intend to figure out modeling first as it's a bit difficult to get a point across with no models ;)

And as far as distributed rendering goes... well, I've been doing some reading there too (on the forums) and while I'd like to think my G3400 will help out a bunch, my new G5 2x2 should suffice for the time being. If distributed rendering is improved (or, really, made easier) in V8 I'll be all over it.

Andrew

Originally posted by Tom Wood
The place to start?

Chapter 20!

That's the chapter on modeling. I think you can safely skip hypervoxels and distributed rendering, among others, and jump to it.

My two cents based on recent experience at starting out.

TW

Tom Wood
01-20-2004, 08:42 AM
Heh, then you're not nearly as green as I was.

I've never done anything like this before, so it was confuzzling at first to start at the beginning of the manual and expect it to start small and build up to the cool stuff. But no, it looks like they let the marketing guys help out with the manual, so the cool stuff got front end loaded. No biggy, you just have to orient yourself to it. It does help to have a specific result in mind, then run down the tangents as they come up.

Have fun!

TW

shockwave
01-21-2004, 01:23 PM
Replace your blood with caffine and do tutorials, turorials, tutorials and get the book too when it comes out. There are also some really good DVD/ Videos by Desktop images titled 'Understanding Hypervoxals' . I have that one and its really good .;)

Ade
01-22-2004, 06:27 AM
Turner goto the Lightwave tutorial forum in www.cgtalk.com

Turner
01-22-2004, 06:34 AM
Thanks shockwave & Ade -

I will take those suggestions. Coffee's on!

And I thought I'd mention (as I probably will elsewhere) that these forums are one of the main factors in my decision to purchase LW.

Bickering aside ;) I've read & searched for problems/questions I had about the functionality in LW, where it's going, and things I was trying to do with the demo, and without fail I've found answers. This is a very good thing - I've had simple questions go unanswered in Adobe forums, so it goes to show that it's not the size of the company or the popularity of the software but the character of the forums...

Thanks people! You should all get a commission.

Andrew

DFT
01-22-2004, 05:25 PM
A great book is "The Lightwave 7.5 Primer" bt Patrick Beck (no relation or affiliation). Has a concise, real-world approach, and a lot of answers and explanations that I didn't find anywhere else.

Stay away from tutorials on sites other than this one. Nothing is more frustrating that using a poorly written tut. Good luck.

Turner
01-25-2004, 06:24 AM
Thanks, I'll check that out...

I realize after going through the included manual that it describes WHAT things are but not so much HOW to use them...

Also, I'm on Panther so it's a bit buggy right now!

thx
Andrew

Originally posted by DFT
A great book is "The Lightwave 7.5 Primer" bt Patrick Beck (no relation or affiliation). Has a concise, real-world approach, and a lot of answers and explanations that I didn't find anywhere else.

Stay away from tutorials on sites other than this one. Nothing is more frustrating that using a poorly written tut. Good luck.