PDA

View Full Version : Alienware

riki
01-20-2004, 06:40 AM
http://www.suture.net/files/cg_challenge/alienware/030_sm.jpg (http://www.suture.net/files/cg_challenge/alienware/030.jpg)

Seriously, how good does it feel to be finally finished. It seems like I've been working on this for ages.

In the end I decided to go with the simpiler version. I'm happy with the results, have learned heaps in the process. Hopefully the next project will be bigger an better.

You can view the progress of this work at http://www.cgnetworks.com/alienware/viewentries.php?challenge_id=3&challenger=358

Many thanks to everyone that offerred comments and advice.

veljko
01-20-2004, 10:19 AM
Great image!

It looks painted not rendered:)
did you use any shaders?
Could you point out the elements that made the pic have that "painted" feel?

thx!

riki
01-20-2004, 03:52 PM
Hi veljko, I'm using mostly proceedural textures, no UVs and only one hand painted image map. Actually I used my concept-drawing as a the image map on the silver metalic surface. It probably wasn't needed but I wanted to throw it in for good luck.

I did also use hand painted b/w clip maps for the hanging scunge. around the lip of the shell and from the top of the image.

The black oil looking liquid running out of the metalic bomb like object was hand painted in photoshop (Post FX) and I applied a subtle grunge map over the water in post. Most of the small detail in the water is HV. Also the fog like mist and sky were hand painted and overlaid in PS.

The five tiny lens flares also done in PS.

If I had a wacom I think I'd be using Photoshop a lot more.

Suede
01-21-2004, 04:52 AM
That's really good Riki!

I think the snow contrast against the other darker elements makes it really interesting! I wish you the best of luck / Christian

riki
01-21-2004, 05:22 PM
Thanks Suede, trying to work out what my next project will be :) I really enjoyed the CG Challenge, can't wait to get started on the next.

veljko
01-22-2004, 11:24 AM
I see you are a brush man- I like that:)
It is allways interesting to see how people with painting and drawing skills combine 2d and 3d elements-
It adds to the feeling and the atmosphere alot in your work

im looking forward for your next pic!

riki
01-22-2004, 09:20 PM
Hi veljko, I just wish I had a wacom, it's very difficult to draw with a round mouse :)

Tiger
01-23-2004, 11:43 AM
Wow....its alive...I smell the smoke in my room :D
Great image!! Maybe a little bit of color....but b/w is also geat!

Tiger
01-23-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Tiger
Wow....its alive...I smell the smoke in my room :D
Great image!! Maybe a little bit of color....but b/w is also geat! Hey...it is color! I really should wear my lenses more often.

igorstshirts
01-27-2004, 05:27 PM
This came out real nice riki... The scale of each object is somewhat hard to grasp as it fades into the background but the colors and feel are amazing. It is one of the images I voted for in the challenge... Good luck!

riki
01-28-2004, 07:02 AM
Thanks igor I need all the votes I can get.
Mine's a long way from the front runners, I think I'm coming about 25th, which I'm happy with.

BTW if anyones interested you can view all the final entries here: http://www.cgnetworks.com/alienware/entries.php

smok3
01-30-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by riki
Thanks igor I need all the votes I can get.
Mine's a long way from the front runners, I think I'm coming about 25th, which I'm happy with.

BTW if anyones interested you can view all the final entries here: http://www.cgnetworks.com/alienware/entries.php

how do you know the current voting order? (btw, you got my vote as well)

riki
01-30-2004, 09:20 PM
thanks smok3, actually I don't know where I am now, since they changed the sort options. At first they published the scores, then they had a sort by score option, but both have been removed now.

smok3
01-31-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by riki
thanks smok3, actually I don't know where I am now, since they changed the sort options. At first they published the scores, then they had a sort by score option, but both have been removed now. ic, tnx for replay, and good luck. (not that you need it)

Mikeface
02-01-2004, 09:26 PM
Riki,
Really excellent job on the final image. Your composition was one of the few that I feel really stood alone as a piece of artwork, rather than as just a nice render.

I guess I'm saying that I appreciate the work that went into rendering it, as well as the fact that it's a great piece that really draws your eye into the environment. Well done!

riki
02-02-2004, 02:23 AM
Hi smok3, I hope I make it through to the Judging process. But really looking forward to the next challenge more than anything. Nothing like a deadline and a carrot to give me some incentive.

Thanks Mike, it's great to get some positive feedback. It's really hard to judge my own work. Many thanks again.

oDDity
02-02-2004, 06:54 AM
Excellent. I'm glad you got rid of that rain effect. The only thing that bugs me about it is the snow, it just doesn't look right.
(that's not much help I know, but I've never tried to render snow, so have no idea about tips or pitfalls regarding it)