PDA

View Full Version : animation parenting question

illusory
01-19-2004, 10:09 PM
I have a vehicle, and a camera, and a camera target null, inside the vehicle. At one point these three were parented to a main null, and an animation was set up, with the vehicle (and main null)stationary. For various reasons, at one point I had to delete the main null. No problem, the animation (for within the vehicle) worked as before.

Now, when I go to add a main null, and parent the three items to it as before, the animation is messed up. Of course, i had "parent in place" on, and all three items are on the same hierarchy level as before. So why is the animation messed up?

Better yet, how can I parent these three to a main null, so I can move the vehicle and have the existing animation take place inside, correctly?

I should add, I also tried parenting the camera and target null to the vehicle, and that messed up the animation also.

any ideas/knowledge on this problem?
thanks for any help,
NJ

illusory
01-21-2004, 04:37 PM
please....if anyone can help with this, please do. I'm pretty new with the animation aspects of Lightwave.

this is driving me nuts, I don't want to have to redo the whole animation, and it's pretty inhibiting to me about parenting things in animations in the future.

Can anyone figure out what I'm missing here? Hopefully, my explanation is clear enough, if not I'll try to clarify.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
NJ

Dodgy
01-21-2004, 06:26 PM
Are you parenting at frame 0?

If you're not, then it will create a keyframe for your children at the current frame, (if you have parent in place on) and the values at frame zero will be wrong.

Go to the frame where they are in the right place, and unparent them, and clear the keyframe at that frame. Go back to frame 0 and they should be animating correctly now.

Now do the parenting again, and they should be animating correctly now with parenting. I think.

illusory
01-21-2004, 11:42 PM
<Are you parenting at frame 0?>

yes, I'm afraid so -- parented and unparented at frame 0.

Could this have anything to do with the camera pointing at the target? Can't think why it would.

This all reminds me of those Einstein thought experiments, of the guy on the train, his motion is relative to the train's motion, and all that.:rolleyes:

wish it was the frame 0 thing..
the place it goes off is several frames into it

thanks Dodgy