PDA

View Full Version : Newtek hiring....future of LW & Luxology?

Tom Speed
03-10-2003, 08:49 AM
Hi,

I've not kept up to speed with the 'Luxology' thing in the past. I noticed the jobs adds on Flay, Newtek are looking to hire:

* 3D Rendering Engineer: http://www.newtek.com/newtek/3drendering.html

* 3D Modeling Engineer: http://www.newtek.com/newtek/3dmodeling.html

* 3D Animation Engineer: http://www.newtek.com/newtek/3danimation.html

* 3D Dynamics Engineer: http://www.newtek.com/newtek/3ddynamics.htm

* User Interface Engineer: http://www.newtek.com/newtek/userinterface.html

As I understand it, Lighwtave belongs to Allen Hastings & Stuart Ferguson and Newtek publish it, right?

With their ties to Luxology, and Newtek looking to hire professionals in the above fields, does that mean Allen & Stuart could be moving onto another project at Luxology and are maybe after someone else to continue development of Lightwave?

Serious replies only please :)

Thanks
Tom

p.s I was quite pleased to see some of the jobs experience requirements in the adds, sounds very nice indeed :)

'Collision detection'

'Soft and hard body dynamics techniques.'

'Physics, forces, physical interactions and simulation.'

'Particles and fluid dynamics.'

'Curved surfaces including sub-division surfaces, n-patches and Bezier patches'

'Hardware acceleration including vertex shaders.'

'Understanding of games related formats and technologies.'

UnCommonGrafx
03-10-2003, 01:25 PM
This isn't a serious question, why do you expect serious answers?

Go back in all of the lists for posts on this topic.

No one cares about this ... issue anymore.

Tom Speed
03-10-2003, 01:47 PM
Did you get out the wrong side of somebodys bed today or something?

>'This isn't a serious question, why do you expect serious answers? '

What isn't serious about the future of your purchased product?

My stating 'serious replies only please' was my way of saying 'I aint started this thread for people to start trolling', I was just after some information. But you gotta slam the door shut in my face instead, nice!

>'Go back in all of the lists for posts on this topic.'

I don't wish to wade through god knows how many posts of 'old' discussions. Why? Because the 'Newtek hiring' stuff I see was dated late February on Flay, that's 'new' news to me, so I was after updated information.

>'No one cares about this ... issue anymore.'

I see, you have to care enough about something before trying to answer someones question?......gimme me a break.

Robert don't bother replying to my posts in future unless you have something constructive to say.

Tom

UnCommonGrafx
03-10-2003, 01:57 PM
You know, Tom, perhaps my answer was bit quick. But, having stayed up on my purchased program as of late, I have tired of the marring this discussion has on my purchased program.

Got up on the same side of bed as always. :D

I believe that the archives are a great place to get a snippet of what one has admittedly missed in not staying up to date.
You are correct: I care enough to say this is an old and worthless conversation that has gone on for over a year. None of the powers in this conversation are talking to us, the public, in that year and probably won't. EVER.

So, Tom, my annoyance wasn't directed at you but the info within the post.

I offer an apology for any offense you felt to that.
I offer no apologies as to how I feel about this topic, however.

mattclary
03-10-2003, 02:28 PM
Three topics to avoid:

1. Politics
2. Religion
3. Luxology

:rolleyes:

Tom Speed
03-10-2003, 03:04 PM
Hiya,

Ok, fair enough, no polotics, religion or luxology :)

No hard feelings Rob :)

Tom

UnCommonGrafx
03-10-2003, 03:30 PM
Tom,

I figured that if you were truly a 'waver, there would never be any hard feelings. :cool:

Dunno if you are part of the yahoo groups or not but there is lots of reading on this... putrid topic. A years worth... groan

Tom, see ya around!
Robert Wilson
UnCommon Grafx

Gordon
03-17-2003, 10:21 PM
I was fortunate enough to have a one on one conversation with Jim Plant of Newtek about this at dealer training a couple weeks ago. All I can say is that there is good news just around the bend.

Being a programmer I know how difficult it can be to try and decipher someone elses code so I also talked to Jim about the problems of hiring a bunch of 'newbies' who weren't familar with the 'old code'. Jim told me that they already have, (I think he said six), Newtek staff on LW development, (although some of them were 'on loan' for T[3] development), and two of them were familar with the old code. The others would be working on new features. I didn't ask specifically for names but I got the impression that they were NOT employees/staff/management of Lux.

I didn't ask about releases or upgrades yet. Both Jim and I were just glad that there will be amicable closure on this issue soon.

(Maybe by Siggraph there will be something announced??)

ingo
03-18-2003, 07:54 AM
Well that sounds good. I had always the impression that the company named L..... is only looking to kind of destroy Newteks Lightwave community, their website is old crap from other websites and they, L..., didn't show that much interest in what is going on, despite some seminars. Maybe they just wait to kill Lightwave and come up with something new to get all the tired LW users from Newtek. That is at least my personal impression from L...'s strange behaviour and Chuck's great work to keep the community together. But i could be wrong...

ingo

Beamtracer
03-19-2003, 02:37 PM
Telling people to be quiet and don't ask any questions only results in making them more suspicious. It doesn't succeed in putting anyone's mind at ease.

For Tom's benefit, Newtek and Luxology were in negotiation over intellectual property issues with Lightwave. If what Gordon says is true, that there'll be an amicable closure to this issue soon, that'll be good news for everyone (especially users).

Then Newtek and Lux will both be able to release a statement about what they've agreed to, and both companies can then concentrate on developing great new software.

Tom Speed
03-19-2003, 03:24 PM
Hi,

That's good news. I didn't mean to stirr things up, I was just curious :)

Cya!
Tom

I done some shopping for an old lady today, saved some wear on her legs :)

^ about as relavent as your Iraq comments.