PDA

View Full Version : decent web program?

richardnovak77
01-19-2004, 12:47 PM
hi all.

are there any real alternatives to frontpage and dreamweaver? i need help building a website and my html is super limited.

any help would rule. thanks!

ren

sbrandt
01-19-2004, 08:44 PM
If you have any PhotoShop skills and can make your way around in the palettes, you should use GoLive. It's the easiest to adapt to and I had no trouble picking it up. If you do well designed sites that rely more on artistic merit, good style and great layout... and not so much high-tech database functionality, GoLive is the one.

Adobe dropped dynamic content from GoLiveCS, but if you're not doing e-commerce sites and need lot's of database connectivity, it's a non-issue. If you do need dynamic content, get GoLive 6, It still has plenty of features, and in real world terms of how much you can put into a website that can actually be used, and is not just window dressing... it will remain competitive against Dreamweaver for another version or two.

Jim_C
01-19-2004, 08:46 PM
Second the Above.

Verlon
01-22-2004, 04:39 AM
anark is very cool :) www.anark.com although that is probably a little different than what you seek.

meshmaster
01-22-2004, 06:34 AM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=free+html+editor

I've used and 1st Page and Arachophilia... Please note that 1st page has a special popup code on one of it's samples that worked several years back, but now all of a sudden is considered a virus by Norton and a few other antivirus programs. It's not a real virus as it was written that way as a sample of html for you to use, but the virus detectors read it as a virus.... it's not really... to get rid of the warning just delete the sample file in question. HTML is easy to learn and tool like these help you out with some of the weird syntax. Gimp is the freeware way to go for photo edits... along with maybe Xnview since xnview has more file format exports.. both those image editors are on cnet.

JD-DCH
01-22-2004, 08:59 AM
If you're just looking for a basic html editor you might try Coffee Cup (http://www.coffeecup.com/software/)

I use DW 2k4 myself but several of my clients have resorted to Coffee Cup as a means of maintaining their websites.

It's a decent editor that doesn't chomp your wallet.

JD - the one what does stuff from time to time ...

Ivan
01-22-2004, 01:05 PM
I like Dreamweaver but I have a client that uses Contribute to maintain their page and Contribute can be used for creation as well. I think it's around $99. I'm not really fond of FrontPage because though it offers some really cool stuff that a beginner couldn't code some of these items require a FrontPage server and if you aren't running the server there is no way to be sure these services are running. Though I've only ever looked breifly at GoLive, it may meet your needs as well.

Ivan

sbrandt
01-23-2004, 09:00 PM
Good ol' Coffe Cup...
It's been so long, I'd forgotten all about it !!!
Yes, put that on my recommended list, along with GoLive.
I guess I'll have to download it and see if it got a
lot of new goodies...(from 5 years ago)