PDA

View Full Version : Component or 1394

jhellein
01-19-2004, 08:56 AM
I have the option of connecting to a Philips DVD burner by 1394 or component from a DVCam deck -- which signal will give me a better dub?

One comment before I go. I have noticed that clips shot to DVCam over firewire artifact (large square blocks) when they are fast forwarded while clips shot from the same camera (PD150) to uncompressed video (via Y/C into the SX-8) do not artifact at the accelerated speed.

Since the original is already in DVCam format, is the 1394 as good as it gets going to DVD or will I gain something by going component as I appear to do by going Y/C?

Thanks -- I'd love to know the reason behind any answer that is provided.

bradl
01-19-2004, 09:51 AM
1394 Firewire is a bit for bit transfer of the original. A clone. As good as it gets. However, some have suggested that a component dub or capture from Firewire can soften the picture and artifacting very slightly, but just enough to look a bit better or at least different in some cases. You decide with you own eyes. I would imagine most observers would not notice the difference.

Since you are going to DVD and the signal will get heavily compressed (MPEG2), sending it as analog could introduce additional picture elements (such as noise) that could trigger additional processing and reduce the final output. However, I think the stand-alone burner you are using uses CBR so that may not be a factor. I would think DV straight out to the burner would be the best in this case.

Scott Bates
01-19-2004, 12:34 PM
I'll concur with Brad's thoughts, but you might try doing short samples on RW discs using both methods and see which looks better, if either. Could save you a lot of time and aggrevation as opposed to flipping a coin and doing the entire thing one way only to find out you should have picked the other method after burning a coaster.