PDA

View Full Version : is lightwave's renderer still the fastest, etc...?

richardnovak77
01-19-2004, 08:12 AM
hey all,

lightwave prides itself on having the fastest, most realistic renderer on the market.

is this still true? what has newtek done to advance the renderer ahead of others on the market?

what could make the renderer even better? what advances have other applications made use of that you'd like to see in lightwave?

this is not an app vs. app thread. i'm talking specificlly about the lightwave render engine and newtek's claims about it.

thanks!

ren

Librarian
01-20-2004, 06:21 AM
No, it definitely isn`t. Production output quality, yes. Modern production speed? No, actually not. Look HERE (http://www.zaon.org/showthread.php?threadid=299)
Cinemas onboard renderer is faster, too.

Titus
01-20-2004, 10:16 AM
Librarian: Good link!

richardnovak77:

Besides the years of development of programs like Photorealistic RenderMan you must accept that LW is more than a renderer, and it's really hard to fully optimize a more general application, PRMan, Brazil and mental ray only need to focus on rendering.

richardnovak77
01-20-2004, 05:55 PM
oh sure, lightwave seems more complete to me than any other single package out there. and, now that i'm learning it, you'd have to pry it out of my hands.

from a technical standpoint, how could the renderer be better? what would you like to see in it that isn't there just now?

i ask because i read some messages from lightwave users who mentioned how great lightwave 8 sounds, but it seemed like they were disappointed with the render engine not being upgraded a bit. i just don't see how it could be better, but i don't know renderers too well...

thanks for the replies!