LightWave Eight Cloth FX in Action

Steve Hurley created a great example of ClothFX in action:

New Video Added. Cloth FX on Hair Splines:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/missMoCap.avi

liquidik
01-19-2004, 08:31 AM
:D :cool: :D

Proton,

this is really cool. LW 8 is shaping really well and the development team is right on focus!!!

One question: Why did Steve used the cloth fx solver??? What are the main differences between that and the soft fx ???

sire
01-19-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by liquidik
One question: Why did Steve used the cloth fx solver??? What are the main differences between that and the soft fx ???
I guess soft fx also takes volume into account.

Kvaalen
01-19-2004, 08:46 AM
Well, I'm only talking about the hair motion: looks cool! :)

I'd like to see the same thing applied to polygon hair. (Please? ;))

cresshead
01-19-2004, 08:53 AM
i bet she's from texas!...looks like a keen horse rider for sure!

Dodgy
01-19-2004, 08:58 AM
Presumably the cloth fx surface don't stretch like soft fx surfaces would, so maybe they can make a speed saving? Hair of course doesn't stretch (much) so it's more suitable to use cloth fx rather than soft fx...

This is all suppostion on my part!

UnCommonGrafx
01-19-2004, 09:14 AM
Is this third-party action or all LW?
Is this an incomplete hair solution, as in SASlite; that is to say, will this not work with lwsn?

Or is this a complete solution, to do long strands of hair with polygonal collisions, all within lw, to be pumped out to our theoretical infinite renderfarms?

Imageshoppe
01-19-2004, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by UnCommonGrafx
[B]Is this third-party action or all LW?

Well, I think this is a mocap clip included with Motion Builder... as I've used it myself for a quick motion check on my characters now and then (same motion file on three characters with some modifications)...

http://www.imageshoppe.com/video/temp/Santa&Crew.mpg

Think what the bone dynamics would do for the hat, beard and belly...

Jim Arthurs

UnCommonGrafx
01-19-2004, 10:05 AM
Not the question, Jim.

Not asking about the walk cycle. Asking about the hair solution.

And only the hair solution.

hrgiger
01-19-2004, 03:13 PM
Proton,

Is there any way you can show us the animation of the guide hairs without applying the hair to them? And is that saslite?
I don't suppose there are any enhancements to saslite are there this time around? Don't mind me, I"m just the guy who's sad because I had to sell my full version of sasquatch to Dodgy to be able to afford my LIghtwave 8 upgrade...:( Not that I don't think it won't be worth it...

cresshead
01-19-2004, 04:53 PM
hrgiger...a new avatar!...
is this the 2004 avatar?...
or the pre lw8 avatar??

that hair demo looks pretty good btw

hrgiger
01-19-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by cresshead
hrgiger...a new avatar!...
is this the 2004 avatar?...
or the pre lw8 avatar??

that hair demo looks pretty good btw

Actually, Samurai slayer made a "avatar change request" so I thought it was time to change anyway. But let's call it my pre LW8 avatar.:)

Dodgy
01-20-2004, 03:23 AM
I just want to know how fast to calculate it is. Is it 'real time'?Looks groovy though.

I would imagine it's just saslite unc, so I wouldn't get your hopes up. Until Worley does Sas2, I can't see there being any updates to LW's Saslite.

BTW Thank you very much HR :)

Exper
01-20-2004, 03:25 AM
Proton... Steve... well done! :D

Bye.

dwburman
01-20-2004, 11:57 AM
What codec is this using?

I can't open this on the MAC.

art
01-20-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by hrgiger
Actually, Samurai slayer made a "avatar change request" so I thought it was time to change anyway. But let's call it my pre LW8 avatar.:)

I like it much more than your previous one (the batmobile, or something of this sort).
When I first saw it I thought it was a leg with some swimming fin on it. This image remained in my head every time I saw it, even after I realized it was a vehicle of some kind.

NigelH
01-20-2004, 04:18 PM
What codec is this using?

I can't open this on the MAC.

Looks like DivX. you can get the decoder here:

http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/