PDA

View Full Version : some general particle FX questions

3dgirl
01-18-2004, 10:43 PM
just been working with particles and wanted to ask a few questions that came up-

why can't i move particle emitters with a parent null?

when you load a motion on an emitter, why are all the effects greyed out?

this one's for howard if you're reading this-you mentioned using gradients to extend the trails on the fireworks, but gradients on what?

I was doing that great "flock of birds" tutorial, and at the end he mentioned using the "clone hierarchy" tool which was apparantly under scene>generics, but i couldn't find it there....i think the tut was for version 7, does anyone know where or what it is in version 7.5?

thanks!

anna

wingwalker
01-19-2004, 10:58 AM
Hi

I can answer 2 of those for you...Clone Hierarchy is about 4th from the bottom of the generic plugins.

Ive never had a problem parenting an emitter to a null, try it again...it should work.

Possabley he's talking about a gradient clip map an the alpha channel (found under the items propertys>render tab). But I maybe wrong :)

Rob T

3dgirl
01-19-2004, 01:36 PM
hmm, nope no clone hierarchy tool to be found anywhere, have looked through the generics panel several times, have searched through my entire plugins list and even looked in my plugins folder and couldn't find it! which plugins folder should it be in? and I do have a legal version of Lightwave.

yeah you're right that null does work generally, there's just one particular scene i've got where it doesn't seem to work, can't figure out why, nevermind.

digimassa
01-19-2004, 06:43 PM
press start

wingwalker
01-20-2004, 06:45 AM
Hi Anna

The cloneHierarchy.ls is in the Lscrips>Utility>Generic folder.

Rob T

3dgirl
01-20-2004, 01:07 PM
ah ha- thank you- i was just adding from the plugins folder, not the lscript folder.

what exactly does FX start do that's different from pressing play on the bottom right? whenever i try pressing FX start i often get a crash, but I'm not sure why i would need to as i can see what the particles are doing anyway?

digimassa
01-20-2004, 03:39 PM
you have to start fx to start the calculation, calculated once you can watch it from all sides in perspective view eg.^^