PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Warrior- a Must Read

WilliamVaughan
01-18-2004, 03:02 PM
Timothy Albee's Article is a must have for any LightWave user. 6 glorious pages of greatness. Read about the making of GW and see some awesome images from teh movie plus great behind the scenes info.

3D World Magazine Issue #47
http://www.3dworldmag.com/

mattbolton
01-18-2004, 03:28 PM
Is that magazine sold at any newstand (.i.e. B&N or Borders) here in the US?

marc
01-18-2004, 03:29 PM
Oh, yeah, definitely a good read! Makes me wish that the whole book (CGI Filmmaking) was out already!

I feel I have to embark on a similar journey as soon as I can, so reading the article gave me real boost and motivation. Especially since he uses the same tools. Now all I need are the skills... :)

It's people like Timothy or Terrence Walker ("One man can make a movie") who are the reason why I got into CG and who, in the way that they made their visions come true, are my personal role models (at least in CG).

Marc

bloontz
01-18-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by mattbolton
Is that magazine sold at any newstand (.i.e. B&N or Borders) here in the US?

It is usually but with limited stock and later than the UK release. Also somewhat expensive, like $13 to $15 but often has good stuff on the CD. I think this month has a full copy of Xfrog 3.2. Well worth the cover price if you don't have it.

grundgedanke
01-18-2004, 04:04 PM
thats right. and the article about mr ghost warrior was great. great guy. and a great area hes living and working :-)

the current issue is 48 and yes theres the fantastic xfrog 3. on the cover cd. but maybe youŽll be able to catch issue 47 at a well sorted newsstand or bookstore. if not, your able to order back issues online at www.3dworldmag.com

mattbolton
01-18-2004, 06:41 PM
Yeeehaw... My local B&N had about 5 copies of issue #47 on the shelf. Now there's one less. :D

KillMe
01-18-2004, 06:44 PM
i've jsut started my own version of this - i too was inspired when i saw what he has done - got most fo the tools and i figured doing somethign like this will teach me alot

my chosen subject is dogs that walk liek men too, =) got a wip in teh wip forum for anyone tahts interested

my story is abit more fantasy though you knwo your classic mages, warriors and evil wizards and gods all hurling fireballs etc =)

anyway timothy albee should think himself lucky he got $5000 to do mine is being done at a budget of -$499 at the most ( the cost of sas) =)

cource if anyone wants to sponsor my film lol they are more tahn welcome =)

as for the article in the mag yeah its a good read and has some good hints int it i think i will ahve to get the making of book but those of you in teh states they normally quiite behind over tehre so you might not even have that issue yet but should still be in teh shops if it is over there

WilliamVaughan
01-18-2004, 08:28 PM
Albee didnt get 5k to do the movie...He got that to write a book about making the movie. Write a book and use the advance to make ur movie...what a great idea!

grundgedanke
01-19-2004, 12:11 AM
5k for the whole book. jesus, i hope he will get some more bucks if the book sells well...iŽll buy a copy...for sure

Nemoid
01-19-2004, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by proton
Albee didnt get 5k to do the movie...He got that to write a book about making the movie. Write a book and use the advance to make ur movie...what a great idea!

I'm really waiting for this awesome book! I know Tim is a good artist, really good if he's able to do a huge work in a few months all alone.
The DVD and book will be a must - have!!! :D

Matt
01-19-2004, 05:36 AM
Must have missed that one, I'm on issue 48 here! (UK)

Bought it for the free XFrog prog' and the 'Twitch' plugin.

Simon
01-19-2004, 06:49 AM
Matt - where did you buy your copy from??

Ta ...

JohnD
01-19-2004, 07:46 AM
Mr. Albee is definitely one talented guy. I'll pick this copy up for sure on my lunch break today:D

KillMe
01-19-2004, 08:03 AM
well i doubt anyone wwould pay for a any book i ever wrote =) quite sure most of you can see jstu how attotous my spelling and grammar is the cost of getting someone to edit it would be more than $5000

besides i doubt anyone would pay to see my somewhat dodgy first atempt ( was supposed to be a demo reel but then my ambitions got the better of me :D )

but not complaining to much - the sheer fact that i can make my own film is jsut so cool that i am willing to pay to make it so alls good

as for timothy albee anyone knwo when the making of book comes out? if its liek the article i could well provide invaluble help with my own effort

Matt
01-19-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Simon
Matt - where did you buy your copy from??

WHSmiths

hrgiger
01-19-2004, 03:57 PM
I was skimming the article today at Barnes and Noble. A 22 minute feature done in only 6 months is pretty impressive for a one man job....

Chong
01-19-2004, 05:20 PM
Albee's book is definitely a good reference for anybody who wants to do some pretty decent rigging...

hrgiger
01-19-2004, 05:28 PM
Definately. I think most of my understanding of LW rigging came from his book.

Chong
01-19-2004, 05:32 PM
actually, i can't understand why there's the fuss abt this extra "RightFoot_Anchor" bone thing...

i don't even tink i makes any diff for me...

but tt's juz me and this is not a discussion abt his book... :D

all in all, the back part of the book does me alot of good as it toks abt stuff animators hav to b aware of... for a guy from technical side of things... it's really enlightening...

YOU'RE THE MAN, ALBEE!!!