PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Firewire Solution vs Scsi

gsweers
01-18-2004, 10:07 AM
I have a person at our church who is insisiting on purchasing a MAC Powerbook and a http://www.glyphtech.com/site/products_dvproject.html
It is a firewire HDD solution for editing and storing video projects.

My limited understanding is that this will give them approx 1 stream of recording or 1 stream of sending from the stored video at a time.

This can be added too via firewire interface capable of 50MB/sec max transfer. I do not see this as a interface to run our video/audio recordings and streaming to a provider. Any thoughts downsides/upsides that anyone can offer to do the VT3 solution.

I can build a server for about 3500-4000 Dual Xeon, 4 72 GIG U320 SCSI, etc, and then the cost of the toaster. This is substancially more than this system but its abilities and scalability is much greater. Thanks for any help.

Greg

bbeanan
01-18-2004, 10:40 AM
That drive is just that a drive. A good friend of mine has a Powerbook and edits video with it using FCP and he has said a number of times that my Toaster is so much better. The only advantage he holds is that his is a laptop and he was editing video while flying to a meeting in another state (they sort of frown on bringing a full VT3 set-up as carry on baggage). Due to that I will most likely buy a Powerbook as a mobile meeting system but use mt VY3 as my main system (unless they come up with VT-Edit laptop version, hint hint)

In the end with that drive you get the "CUP" with the VT3 you get the full meal (including dessert)

tmon
01-18-2004, 11:27 AM
Why certain people buy into the Apple solution so blindly is beyond me. At least, make a case for a G5 dualie with OSX, the benefits of a Unix-based OS, perhaps a Blackmagic designs HD-capable I/O card....

Drag this guy to a VT dealer and force him to witness the power of VT[3]:

Such as faster editing, LIVE production, web streaming, etc.

Not to knock FCP here (heck, at work, we're considering an FCP HD solution such as what I've mentioned above), but it's not rational to compare a Powerbook FCP setup to a Dual Xeon system.

BTW, if you wait a bit more for Bob Tasa to finish his Premiere Pro plugz, you could edit native RTV with a laptop too...