PDA

View Full Version : video as texture..

peji
01-18-2004, 10:05 AM
i've checked the LW manual regarding my problem but i couldn't find the answer - is it possible to apply a video clip as a texture for an object? for example i make a TV model and want to apply a video clip on thee glass screen.

thanks ini advance:)

Wade
01-18-2004, 11:14 AM
When in surface editor apply a image as your texture, pick a video file as the image you want to use.

UnCommonGrafx
01-18-2004, 11:21 AM
Peji,
It may be that you have to tell it to "Show all files" as movie type files might not be 'turned on' in your configs.

peji
01-18-2004, 11:50 AM
where do i do that, i mean after i open the surface editor? i've tried using the 'T' button besde color and tried adding the vid file but it just does nothiing.. but when i tried with just an image, it worked fine..man, this is really frustrating..

CMP 2003
01-18-2004, 05:53 PM
When you go into surface editor, Click the "T" next to the color slider,
Then go to load image, and a browser window should pop up.
then click ALL FILES, and select your video file.

(I think it only works with avi files and certain codecs.)

and when you render the scene in layout, your video will play starting frame 0

peji
01-19-2004, 11:25 AM
yeah i've done exactly that.. maybe it's just the type of movie file i pcked..hmmmi uess i'll just have to check that again..thanxs:)

SamuraiSlayer
01-19-2004, 11:45 AM
there are a few conditions under which it will work. it has to be an .avi file. it cant be too big in file size or resolution. sometimes interlaced/non-interlaced can affect it. if there is a Windows (if you are using Windows) compatible codec in your c:\windows\system32 folder then it does not matter what codec it is, as long as it will play in media player. make sure the file is not a .mpg file renamed to .avi. sometimes people rename files to .avi for whatever reasons.

what size/resolution/type/codec/ is the file, and is it interlaced?

peji
01-19-2004, 12:00 PM
got it! thanks thanks thanks!:)

head worm
01-20-2004, 08:20 AM
Hi there,

It seemed you may have sorted out, but the most common reason people have blank videos appear as textures is that the movie codec included a blank alpha channel in the file. Lightwave will default to using this if it's there and so tends to matt out the entire image.

The alpha channel setting is found in the Image Editor, so make sure it's switched to "OFF" if you're not using it.

pixelinfected
01-20-2004, 11:25 PM
lw can use video, but is so smart and easier to use the images sequence. especially if video is long, using sequence is better be cause use less memory, less render resource (with video lw need to extract frame to use before to render, and if use a complex codec like divx, the time of extraction on long animation can be important on total time).