PDA

View Full Version : what happened to MAPQUEST?

jin choung
01-18-2004, 02:29 AM
howdy fellows,

well, i looked through google and couldn't find a SINGLE word anywhere on this so i thought i'd try the only other place i know to look... HERE!

anybody know why mapquest no longer offers directions according to SHORTEST vs. QUICKEST and also no longer offers to let you AVOID HIGHWAYS?

mapquest used to allow you to do this! but it does not anymore and i want to know why!

suspicions:

-national security? well, we're wary of people carrying almanacs...
-law suit? somebody got killed on a backroad?
-IP? somebody has the rights to non highway directions?

if anyone has any info, i'm all ears.

jin

Turner
01-18-2004, 06:43 AM
Yeah, you're right. It's because they're worried about national security.. .you know how Mapquest was the only place to find a map of small roads.

Yeah, I hear they use Mapquest to find out where things like the Capitol Building are, since they're impossible to find elsewhere...

lol

Rich
01-19-2004, 08:29 AM
Also one thing gone from mapquest is the ability to see satellite photos of a map. I liked that feature the most. I was working on a project with lightwave using a bunch of zoomed in as close as I could photos and I would patch them together in PS. Then I was going to apply them to a plane in LW and make it look like I was flying over a town. This sucks because I don't know of any other place that would give you free satellite photos.

Turner
01-19-2004, 08:35 AM
www.terraserver.com

Originally posted by Rich
Also one thing gone from mapquest is the ability to see satellite photos of a map. I liked that feature the most. I was working on a project with lightwave using a bunch of zoomed in as close as I could photos and I would patch them together in PS. Then I was going to apply them to a plane in LW and make it look like I was flying over a town. This sucks because I don't know of any other place that would give you free satellite photos.

sbrandt
01-19-2004, 08:59 PM
"..... you know how Mapquest WAS the only place to find a map of small roads....."
--------------------

I just found an unpaved jeep trail near Kearney Nebraska, where we camped last summer, that's only about a quarter mile long. That's pretty much off the beaten path.

jin choung
01-19-2004, 09:23 PM
hey,

i'm talkin' about the brain trust in the govt that thinks almanacs are dangerous.... ya think it's beyond them to think that mapquest would be "potentially dangerous"....

i don't.

jin

Meaty
01-19-2004, 10:15 PM
perhaps the alternate route was simply deemed 'not reliable enough' by the mapquest techs...?

Jim_C
01-20-2004, 06:17 PM
Maybe they are weaning us off the good stuff so one day,
SUPRISE it will all be back as a charged option payable thru PayPal.

Jim

meshmaster
01-21-2004, 09:15 AM
http://www.mapblast.com

Speaking of "Accurate Maps" I was reading through this little known fact book that my girlfriend bought a few weeks back... turns out that some map makers actually put fake roads and alter maps slightly in other ways so that they have a stronger copyright to them, and can prove in court if someone copies their maps! ;)

John Fornasar
01-21-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by meshmaster
http://www.mapblast.com

Speaking of "Accurate Maps" I was reading through this little known fact book that my girlfriend bought a few weeks back... turns out that some map makers actually put fake roads and alter maps slightly in other ways so that they have a stronger copyright to them, and can prove in court if someone copies their maps! ;)

Also phone directories, mailing lists, software code, stock pictures and just about anything else...