PDA

View Full Version : Controlling Bevel (b)

Johnny
01-17-2004, 06:46 PM
is there a trick to getting the bevel tool to bevel out the way you move your mouse?

sometimes, I begin a bevel, and I have to mouse the opposite directions both up and down to get the bevel to go where I need it to...gets a little queasy!

tks

J

Jaffro
01-18-2004, 04:55 AM
Its probably easier to use the numeric panel (n). Or hold down ctrl to constrain to one direction on the mouse movement.

hrgiger
01-18-2004, 08:12 AM
As Jaffro said, using the numberic panel is the easy way. It's interactive so instead of using your mouse you can just adjust the sliders how you want. It's also easier because you can do shift and inset seperately where it takes a steady hand to do it with the mouse.

Johnny
01-18-2004, 12:37 PM
The numeric panel doesn't seem to offer the control I need with respect to the beveling action moving in the same direction I move my mouse.

IOW, if I mouse right-left, the beveling goes up/down, which is like being in a house of mirrors...

Is there something about the shape you're working on that influences beveling behavior?

J

bloontz
01-18-2004, 12:44 PM
Actually moving the mouse horizontally controls inset, vertically controls shift. You can see this by watching the numeric panel while dragging the mouse in the viewport. So I think the answer to your initial question is no.

Jaffro
01-18-2004, 12:49 PM
right-left controlls the inset and up-down controlls the shift. Use the control key to restrict the movements of shift and inset, thats the only way i can suggest to make it easier.
Also note that just because you move the mouse left doesnt mean the bevel moves left. Left and right could be better described as negative and positive. So move the mose left and the bevel moves inwards.

Your geometry can cause problems. If you have two points espically close to eachother and their -normals cross then it can cause problems with the polygon. Could you post an image to show what your working on?

All i can suggest is that you pratice on a cube (box) to start with, or a flat plain. Just to get used to using the mouse with beveling.

Johnny
01-18-2004, 01:39 PM
OK..I get it...must have been just coincidence, those times when my mouse motion and beveling action coincided...

I see what the deal is. thank you!

J