PDA

View Full Version : Obligatory Newbie Chess Set

Alan Daniels
01-17-2004, 05:48 PM
To the fine folks in the Newtek forums: Here's my official first shot at real work in Lightwave. In the honored tradition of 3D newbies everywhere, it's a chess set. Please let me know how you think I can improve. I'd appreciate any and all technical and/or artistic criticism.

http://www.alandaniels.com/images/chess_set.jpg

Happy with: The overall look, overall color composition, how the Knight chess piece turned out (for my first attempt at sub-d modeling, not as bad as I thought).

Not happy with: Too much geometry (each chess piece had about 2000 polys, waaay too many), couldn't use a volumetric for the sunlight through the window (it interacted with the venetian blinds and gave unpleasant refractions along the wall). Took me way to long, but hey, that's part of the learning process.

Everything here is modeled from scratch, but the images and background photo were borrowed off the web. Settings were: No radiosity, AA set at medium enhanced, took about 25 mins to render. If anybody wants me to post the scene files, let me know.

SODAPLAY
01-17-2004, 09:16 PM
looks nice!

- SODA

sidetrak
01-17-2004, 09:49 PM
looks good!:)

the only problem i have is that the outside image of the trees looks kind of stretched.

dblanky
01-18-2004, 06:05 AM
Hey, thats looking really good! if your having problems with to many polys you want to freeze your sub d object (Ctrl + d) and then use qemLOSS, its in construct under reduce. The one thing i would do is turn the reflection down on the chess pieces, the reflections are nice but theres too many especially on the white pieces. Also the shadow cast by the blinds wouldnt be that dark that time of day as there is also light coming in from outside. i would try some depth of field to give it a more realistic look as everything there is in focus. and lastly the wood texture for the chess table is quite blury, i would use a tileable wood texture or a really hi-res wood image, theres loads about on the internet, and apply a bump map to it so it doesnt appear completly flat, keep us updated!

Alan Daniels
01-18-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by dblanky
Hey, thats looking really good!... The one thing i would do is turn the reflection down on the chess pieces, the reflections are nice but theres too many especially on the white pieces...

Thanks for the great advice! Here's the new and improved version:

http://www.alandaniels.com/images/chess_set_2.jpg

I fixed the stretching on the background image and lightened it up to match the scene. Scaled down the pieces a bit, since they seemed disproportionately large. Toned down the reflection on the white pieces. Alas, tried turning on DOF, but all I got was a bunch of jittery crap; next LW thing I'm gonna do is a simple "row of boxes" kind of project where I figure out how to use DOF. Done with the chess set though, partially because I can't think of anything else to improve, partially because I'm tired of looking at it. :D