PDA

View Full Version : 'Teaser' marketing strategies

pauland
01-17-2004, 05:42 AM
We're all well aware that Newtek and Worley (amongst others) like to give us teasers as to what's to come.

It's nice to see what is coming down the line, but I do have some problems with it, simply because of the sometimes extended time lag between teaser and product delivery, and sometimes teasers can provoke frustration since the strategy shows you something you'd want to have but can't have yet.

Not turning this into some LW8 debate, in general, if a product is going to have a teaser, how long would you expect to wait between the teaser and the product shipping?

ted
01-17-2004, 01:54 PM
Tough Question. As discussed before, many times development of those "Special Tools" runs into many unexpected problems. And releasing crappy software to apease Marketing or pressure from users can often be worse then holding off.

Many times the company just LIES to hold people off buying a competitors product.

I doubt NewTek has been guilty of fraud unlike so many Software/Hardware developers.

I wish you luck on this poll, but with so many variables in this question, I couldn't give a specific answer.

[TOYO]Snoop
01-18-2004, 04:19 PM
A teaser often isnt like the finished product.
For example, many preprduction screenshots of games are photoshop enhanced. Other examples are teaser of movies, If u show 5 amazing shots in the teaser doesnt mean its a good movie.
Same with teasers of software, u only know what u get if u are working with the software in real production.
So my opinion is: teasers are often misleading, u better don't let them fool u.

Greets

pauland
01-18-2004, 04:36 PM
Games are something I'd not really thought about. Sometimes the 'teasers' for games are for very extended periods, so I guess that put it into a different perspective.

I've yet to be dissappointed by software delivery from Newtek, though I've sometimes been dissappointed by games.

Paul