PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Flare

SpikeSpiegel
03-10-2003, 02:29 AM
Ive tried and tried, ive scoured the web for tutorials but i just cant find one. Somebody please tell me how to make and animate a muzzle flare from a machine gun!

WCameron
03-10-2003, 10:32 AM
parent a pointlight to the muzzle and animate a lense flare
envelope on it?

- Will.

Ralph Keyser
03-10-2003, 05:54 PM
Did you mean flare, or were you thinking muzzle flash (the burst of flame shooting out the front)? I think there were some tuts on jet exhaust that might be a good starting point.

hrgiger
03-10-2003, 06:04 PM
Actually, I believe that Ken Mac had a nice method of doing it.

Maybe he will provide a link?

In the meantime, it went something like this. Paint a muzzle flash on a flat plane going down the center of the poly. Make a copy of the plane and have it intersect in the middle so it looks like a plus sign in a profile. Make it transparent until it needs to fire. Have the planes spinning and apply motion blur to it. It makes a nice effect. He even provided a method to tie an expression to it so that it flashed every time his character pulled the trigger.

Jason T
03-11-2003, 03:59 AM
I think Larry Shultz made a good one too. I seem to remember it included with some mo-cap scenes he released a while ago. I think the files are at Preset Central, but I could be wrong. As ever, Spike, make sure the model author is happy for you to use the model concerned first.

kevman3d
03-11-2003, 06:41 PM
Here's one I did a while back... Hope its of any use to you...

http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/18610.html?

Kev.

kevman3d
03-12-2003, 02:15 AM
Hehehe! Hrgiger... Ken Mac? Wow, his tutorial sounded exactly like my one, right down to the spinning planes, and expression driven trigger squeeze! :)

BTW, here's the example image for anyone wondering (and too lazy to click the link)

I've also posted up the example video that this came from here if you want to see the effect...
http://www.kevman3d.com/video/droid_shoot.mpg

Edbittner
03-12-2003, 08:43 AM
I've experimented with one.
Load the swthrust from the "vehicles-objects_Hummer" file that comes with the LW cd. Move it to modeler, and kill polygons.Make points to polys. Send back to layout,then open the HV window.Apply HV to points and texture with your "fire" preset of choice. Ramp up the Lum controls, and envelope the "size variations works for me.
Ed
( I LOVE THIS STUFF)!

Edbittner
03-12-2003, 08:50 AM
I hope this works: \image{muzzleflash} .
Ed

kevman3d
03-12-2003, 04:47 PM
Hey Ed!

That's a very cool muzzle flash, dude! As always, showing the world just how excellent LW's own out-of-the-box functionality is! :)

BTW to anyone wanting a good muzzle effect in animation, just remember that the flash needs to dim/darken every 2nd-3rd frame (depending on how fast your gun can pump out bullets, obviously!) as the gas/flame dissipates between rounds, otherwise you'll end up with a mini-flamethrower that won't look right... :)