PDA

View Full Version : Vicky Cottage

moondog
01-16-2004, 06:06 PM
HELP!! Although I like the idea here, it just is not working. I have tried several varients, yet cannot get it to the point where I can say: 'that's good'.
So this is the opportunity to rip an image apart. Feel free.

moondog
01-16-2004, 06:16 PM
This is second try. By the way the vines on the porch posts are done with 'Painter 5'. The rest is LW

Brett H.
01-16-2004, 06:27 PM
Okay, I'll give it a shot.
The modeling looks pretty good, if a bit uninteresting (this house looks like it was built yesterday and painted today). Texturing could use a bit of work, dirty it up a bit and give it some details.
But, I think it's the lighting that's really throwing this thing off.

It is either sunset or dawn. There really is no source for your light other than the sun. But, I see that there are several lights throwing shadows around, some behind the trees casting shadows on the house (which isn't a bad thing, there's just no explainable source for the light). You have to decide how nature would light this scene. And, if you think about it, you'd barely be able to see the man, let alone the house, in this lighting condition. Everything would be as dark as the landscape in the left-middle of the image.

So, in my opinion, you either need to change the time of day, or add some "artificial" lights (a yard light, spotlights in the lawn that shine on the house, etc.)

Good luck with this and keep crackin away, it looks pretty good, just needs tweaking.

Brett

moondog
01-16-2004, 06:44 PM
Well the lighting is a good point. In fact I have this render with only one light source and background radiosity. I had thought that it looked odd. Looking for some textures and may turn the house into and old shack.

Brett H.
01-16-2004, 06:52 PM
See the sharpness of the shadows on the house? You only get shadows this sharp in bright sunlight. Yet the rest of the scene is dark. This is what I mean about your lighting. If you want those cool "tree shadows" on your house, they have to be coming from the sun, and the whole scene therefore has to be bright. You simply can't have it both ways.

As I said before, you have to think about how nature would light this scene. When you consider the light bounce, this scene really has to be bright to justify those sharp shadows.

Keep tweaking, you'll get it. Have you thought about a sky dome?

Brett

prospector
01-16-2004, 09:42 PM
yea, I think the lighting is off.
Sharp shadows but no lighting in the fields where no trees are?

Dodgy
01-17-2004, 06:25 AM
Everything is too uniform, the colour of the leaves, the paint on the house, it's like you're using colours rather than textures for it. You need to put in those rough spots :)

otacon
01-17-2004, 07:45 PM
You also need to think about your environment. Right now you have a house in the middle of a big grassy field with palm trees. Think about what kind of environment you want to have, and stick to one idea. The palm trees might fit if you were on a beach with the ocean in the background. I see you changed the trees in the second pic, add some in the far off background, because right now its empty. From the looks of your sky id say its sunset, so you need to have an orange colored light as your main source. The trees in the foreground look too dark, i cant even see the color of the bark. Even if it is sunset, the trees would still be visible. Work on some of that, plus what others have said and see what you come up with.