PDA

View Full Version : LightWave Eight FX test

WilliamVaughan
01-16-2004, 03:45 PM
Ou Beta testers are hard at work testing LightWave Eight and one of them created a quick test scene that we wanted to show you.

Tools Used:

>cloth FX on the 2 point poly chain then Saved the calc.

>FX metalink the rope

>FX hardlink the ball

>Hard FX on three of the walls and the floors inbetween.

FXTest: 900k divx avi
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/fxtest_divx.avi

Special thanx to the Beta Tester that put this together. He still wants to tweak it but I thought you guys would like to see a wip.

bloontz
01-16-2004, 04:04 PM
That's impressive! Is the building made from individual bricks?

Jaffro
01-16-2004, 04:18 PM
Thats really cool :D thanks proton.
echo bloontz question, if it is individual bricks is that hard to do?

KillMe
01-16-2004, 04:24 PM
looks pretty cool but i have afew questions and afew observations

will the dynamics be able to tell where gravity would be enough to pull and object down? - hmm the bricks above the main impack point would in the real world have collapsed - would make this alot more belieavble if the front collapsed just asft the wrecking ball passed through

and i noticed some of the bricks are jumping around abit take it you can tweak them to not do that yes?

themaxx
01-16-2004, 04:24 PM
neato! i wish software was available to do that sort of thing. :P

WilliamVaughan
01-16-2004, 04:27 PM
as mentioned above...this is a wip....he didn't want it out till he was done but I couldn't resist. all kinds of options for tweaking.

Trevor
01-16-2004, 04:33 PM
Can you set the individual pieces to have self collision?
It looks as if some pieces fall through each other.

CoryC
01-16-2004, 04:35 PM
Is the floor a single poly that is broken dynamically or is it built from multiple pre-broken parts? A 2nd camera angle from inside the building would be pretty cool!

Kvaalen
01-16-2004, 04:39 PM
Looks really cool! Thanks for showing it. Please show more such stuff if you can.

BTW, to answer some of the questions... this is what I understood from videos and such:

The bricks and floors can be all in one layer, they don't have to be in seperate layers.
You can set the individual pieces to self collision.

robinson
01-16-2004, 04:42 PM
:D

Tesselator
01-16-2004, 04:50 PM
Anyone wanna try and guess how many blocks are in that sim
or how long it took to calculate?

stef
01-17-2004, 01:52 AM
In the last frame of the first cut - the wall gets a hole beneath the ball, before the ball actually hits it. Also the chain goes through the wall before breaking it apart. An obvious fallacy.
In the second camera take (cut 2) the animation seems OK. Looks like two movies were eked out from two different settings. The first one obvously did not work 100%. Wonder why BT placed the first one there....

WilliamVaughan
01-17-2004, 05:39 AM
lesson learned about posting a WIP in the forums...I will let the testers finish before I post anything in the future.

mkiii
01-17-2004, 06:01 AM
Naww Proton. I think you made it quite clear that it was a WIP, and tweaking was still in progress.

What you should have done is write a 3 page essay complete with dozens of screenshots, detailing every setting, poly/point count, and an explanation of how every element was constructed, modelled & rigged. And just to make sure you have every aspect covered, included multiple camera angles & a printout of the path of each individual brick as it flies off.

Alternatively, you could just carry on showing us things as they come, with a concise & descriptive list of features used. :)

Dodgy
01-17-2004, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by proton
lesson learned about posting a WIP in the forums...I will let the testers finish before I post anything in the future.

LOL

Poor bloke! Everyone just jumps all over you :) I thought it was very cool, and no one would probably notice if it was part of a film... On it's own though, in front of a lot of artists, they pick it to pieces.

stef
01-17-2004, 07:42 AM
Gents,

Sorry if my post was taken as a "scathing criticism" as it was not meant to be, nor did I want to sound picky.
Explanation: In 2001 at MacWorld Expo I saw for the first time the LW ball and chain MD demo.
Therefore in the current movie I was interested more in the second cut, being focused on the ball driving itself through the wall and breaking it. If ONE frame was taken off before public posting as WIP of that movie's first cut - the final effect (and artist's effort) as expressed in that clip would have IMHO much better impact. That's all, no hard feelings.
At other posts I expressed my excitement about 8 which I will get as soon as it is released.
Proton, thank you very much for all your efforts and looking forward for new releases of your videos.

stef
01-17-2004, 07:50 AM

Frankly speaking I prefer that all videos are finished and presented as such.
The pressure on NT to rush the product to the market must be unbearable... Personally I don't mind to wait (one more hour) for a video to be polished, or [one more week] for LW8 to be finally released ;)

siproductions
01-17-2004, 07:57 AM
Thanks Proton. I enjoyed it even if it was a wip. Keep up the good work.:)

archiea
01-17-2004, 10:59 AM

Proton, it would be kewl to see further posting of this wip as it progressed. seeing how it is refined would explain how workflow is with the new dynamics....

Rei
01-17-2004, 01:10 PM
I like the FX, the ball and chain look great, and the primary FX are ok.

However there is no secondary FX, the bits of the building dont knock down other parts, and lead to the total collapse.

if thats an option and just not used here, then im ^_^ bounce all day long!

CB_3D
01-21-2004, 04:21 PM
In the Hollow Man the muscles and tendons penetrated the underlying bones when animated. In In Episode 1 the debris from the Tatooine racing thingies penetrated itself....and the list goes on and on. This kind of simulation is very hard to do, and is always onlt a starting point for a cool sequence. Hand tweaking is almost always necessary.

I am getting more and more impressed with the new dynamics.

kudos to Newtek for thinking in the right direction.

Hervé
01-22-2004, 01:06 AM
demolition man.......:D ;) :cool: :)

MiniFireDragon
01-22-2004, 06:48 AM
Is it me or have others not been able to view this file?? When I play it, the ball starts to swing and then stops mid way. I tried it on 3 different players...

1st was Windows Media Player 7
2nd was Virtual Dub
3rd was Divx Player 2.2

What do I need to look at this thing??

Cman
01-22-2004, 06:52 AM
-LOL

I'm surprised you're just learning that lesson! :D

siproductions
01-22-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by MiniFireDragon
Is it me or have others not been able to view this file?? When I play it, the ball starts to swing and then stops mid way. I tried it on 3 different players...

1st was Windows Media Player 7
2nd was Virtual Dub
3rd was Divx Player 2.2

What do I need to look at this thing??

I had the same problem, but I downloaded the latest version of Dvix and it played fine.:)

mav3rick
01-22-2004, 08:31 AM
minid try latest divx player should wrk

NanoGator
01-22-2004, 11:30 AM
This is a very exciting demo. You know, I really don't think it'll be long before LW is being used for creating 'stunts' much like in real life. Instaed of trying to hand tweak every single frame, set up the right conditions and just watch and see what LW does.

Bitchin.

NanoGator
01-22-2004, 11:30 AM
Double posted, sorry.