PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 8 out 'SOON'

cagey5
01-16-2004, 12:15 PM
Well according to Chuck it is anyhow.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16585

We all know the DFX+ deal ends when 8 comes out so the fact that Chuck states that particular deal ends soon has got to be good news.

quote 'If you want a powerful compositing tool that makes a great companion to LightWave, and to lock in your upgrade to LightWave 3D 8 early, now is your last opportunity.'

Watch this space :)

prospector
01-16-2004, 12:20 PM
Yea but what is soon?

My soon is within a week
Yours might be within hours
Others within days

So instead of asking when LW8 will be out (so we quit bothering them about it)
We should be asking when soon is???:D :D

KillMe
01-16-2004, 12:36 PM
yewah lets jsut hope newteks definition of soon isn't months

jr_sunshine
01-16-2004, 12:58 PM
In some of the other mailings to user, there was a very similar use of words:

"... NewTek is in the final stages of preparing LightWave 3D version 8.0"

As a matter of fact, I think they used the very same wording in messages we received in 2003. It was that use of words and the consistent message about LW [8] releasing in the next x days that got everyone thinking [8] would be out for sure by Christmas 2003. Well, it wasn't. And those of us who were anticipating the 2003 release were pretty ticked off.

So, as much as I want (and believe me I WANT!!!!!!) to believe you that LW [8] is close, I just cannot bring myself to believe it.

prospector
01-16-2004, 01:38 PM
I just cannot bring myself to believe it

As your Homer guy would say
"Mmmmmmmmm...clooosssee"

Just keep repeating it.:D

Nemoid
01-16-2004, 01:58 PM
bad mode : "soon" its no date, so Nt can't loose the relaease date this time!! SO clever. :D

good mode : Happy to hear that ! Can't wait for eight.

Jaffro
01-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Soon is soon, my personal estimate is sometime feb/march ('soon' relative to how long its been in production).

Whats more cool is confirmation that the upgrade will come on CD. I know it was fairly true beforehand but its nice to hear it straight.

cresshead
01-16-2004, 03:33 PM
soon?..probably nab 2004 so soon will be in april/may 2004 this also bears out the interview which said a few months that was on the 14 jan 2004 and so a few months would tie into april may 2004 as well.

omeone
01-16-2004, 03:48 PM
naaaah, soon means they have started shipping the CD's to the resellers

;)

Jaffro
01-16-2004, 03:54 PM
omeone you optimist! hehe

themaxx
01-16-2004, 04:27 PM
why all the secrecy about the release date?

Jaffro
01-16-2004, 05:22 PM
themaxx, its likely they dont know when it is either. obviously they can estimate, but until all the bugs are ironed out and its gone for burning to cd then they wont know a release day.

themaxx
01-16-2004, 06:44 PM
i'm a programmer myself. i understand bug squashing. i'm just annoyed with this whole "coming soon" stuff. what does "soon" mean? next week? july? tomorrow? april? should i learn maya while i wait? are we waiting on CDs to be burned or are there still 20 serious bugs being investigated?

i apologize for sounding like a whiny child. i know this topic has been beaten to death. but i started getting excited about [8] last summer. i plunked down my cash--for LW8, not dfx--and I had reason to believe that it would ship by the end of 2003. here we are, two weeks into the new year, getting teased with videos, we've gone from a specific date to vagaries like "later this year" and "soon". i'd simply like to know when to expect it, and i'd be happier with an answer like "at least 3 weeks" than "soon".

Smiling Wraith
01-16-2004, 09:25 PM
Chuck,

I run LW on a Mac and have a mac dongle. I waited to see if Newtek was going to offer a Macintosh special that was comperable to what was being offered to the Windows customers. But when one never materialized, I purchased the 8.0 upgrade and got a copy of dfx a month ago.

I just got a Windows box to run some programs from work. Do I have to get a new dongle to run DFX on this machine?

Forgive my ignorance, but I haven't even cracked the DFX yet.

js33
01-16-2004, 10:53 PM
You should have received the PC and Mac version of 7.5 so you can use LW on both platforms with a USB dongle.
Well I'm not sure what kind of dongle Macs had before the USB but you will need the USB one to use LW and DFX on your PC.

Cheers,
JS

jamesl
01-17-2004, 01:41 AM
Come on... they said sometime this year! Isn't that good enough?

"Weeee! I'm Newtek! No Lightwave 8 this year! I hope you still love me!"

It's simple... Tim, is the Video Toaster more important to you than LW development? If yes, than how long can you depend on Lightwave money coming in to finance the Toaster before users get SICK AND TIRED and abandon the platform? I mean, wouldn't everyone be better off with a copy of Maya and a DPS board anyways?

Sorry for the reality slap,

j

p.s. please, if you're a Newek lackey charged with trolling these posts, please forward this to whomever you think would be most displeased. Your job is at stake.

Skritter
01-17-2004, 04:09 AM
Well I am hoping LW dosent get released until August 2004,
cause thats when I can upgrade from my educational version (gotta have it a year before you can upgrade to commercial).

And I dont want to miss out on the DFX deal!

How about it Newtek, just hold off till August guys.;)

Jaffro
01-17-2004, 04:59 AM
themaxx, i think its probably a toss up between how annoyed people get not knowing a date, how annoyed they get when the date isn't met, and if the date is met how annoyed people get with a buggy version and download updates.
Personally i perfer not knowing, simply because it means i cant plan to use the new features and then have to resort to something else when the dates are changed. But thats probably just me :) heh

Smiling Wraith
01-17-2004, 07:39 AM
I doubt that I have a duo dongle. I got this USB dongle with LW 6. Is there an exchange path for these old dongles?

PixelDust
01-17-2004, 09:57 AM
Yeah - If you exchange the dongle for a Duo Dongle at the same time you order the upgrade, there's no extra charge. If you do the exchange at a different time, there is a charge (I think $99, but I'm not sure).

themaxx
01-17-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Jaffro
themaxx, i think its probably a toss up between how annoyed people get not knowing a date, how annoyed they get when the date isn't met, and if the date is met how annoyed people get with a buggy version and download updates.

understood. i'd like an estimate. i'd like to know if soon means next week or 2 months or june.

nerdyguy227
01-18-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by prospector
Yea but what is soon?

My soon is within a week
Yours might be within hours
Others within days

For me, "soon" depends upon what it is. For example, If my dad says "We are going to get a new car soon", Then I would think 2 weeks to about a month. If my mom says she has to go to the bathroom soon then I think a few minuts.

jeremyhardin
01-18-2004, 06:03 PM
why do you have to wait a year? i didn't. 2 or 3 months max before i went commercial. hope i didn't break a rule or something.