PDA

View Full Version : NewTek: LW Upgrade with DFX+ Special Offer Ends Soon

Chuck
01-16-2004, 09:40 AM
Hi, Folks!

NewTek is in the final stages of preparing LightWave 3D version 8.0, and we've released new details on the features at:

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/8/index.php

As you can see, we've added powerful new tools for workflow, character animation, dynamics and much more. LightWave 3D 8 will be coming your way soon, and when we release it, the special LightWave upgrade offer that includes eyeon Software's DFX+, with the Visual Effects and 3D Modules, ends. If you want a powerful compositing tool that makes a great companion to LightWave, and to lock in your upgrade to LightWave 3D 8 early, now is your last opportunity.

Registered LightWave owners in the USA and Canada can upgrade to the very latest in 3D software and get eyeon's DFX+ including the Visual Effects and 3D Modules for just $495. You will get LightWave 8 on CD (software only, manual in electronic format - help file) when the software ships, but you will receive DFX+ with Modules 1 & 4 immediately. If you do not have LightWave [7] or [7.5] yet, [7.5] is included (software only, manual in electronic format - pdf) in this offer.

NOTE to Mac Users: DFX+ is keyed to the LightWave dongle (Must have Duo USB dongle which runs on both Mac & PC). You will receive a copy of Eyeon's DFX+ Software, which runs under the Windows platform only.

For details and to order, link to http://www.newtek.com/buynow/software/lightwave%2Bdfx.html

Johnnyx
01-16-2004, 10:37 AM
..maybe this has been discussed somewhere else... but I'm gonna ask anyway! .... Will the upgrade cost be the same after release? Is the difference between now and later just the hard copy manual (and no DFX+) - ?

J

jevinstudios
01-16-2004, 01:26 PM
This is one hellova deal! I, for one, am delighted that I took advantage of this offer to upgrade my studio's license of LW with the DFX+ bundle -- no other software company on the market is offering such a cool package......

Well done, NewTek!!

Kevin Soderlund
Jevin Studios

T-Light
01-16-2004, 01:32 PM
Cheers Chuck :)

-EsHrA-
01-16-2004, 01:41 PM
thanx for heads up Chuck and i allready have dfx+, now up for ....... ;)

Cheers,

mlon

www.funnyfarm.tv

hrgiger
01-16-2004, 01:57 PM
I already got mine.

Hopefully, this indicates that Lightwave 8 will indeed be released soon...

Jaffro
01-16-2004, 02:15 PM
It is an amazing deal. Got my upgrade a few months ago. DFX+ is the only package that made my gaw drop since i started using Lightwave 5/6 years ago. So having both in the same deal is amazing!

cresshead
01-16-2004, 03:39 PM
with newtek apparently still in the "adding features stage" i'd expect "soon" to be around april 2004 when newtek go to NAB and the'll probably launch lightwave 8 there and ship lw 8 after the show ends so there's plenty of time left as maybe ngons will appear in lightwave 8 or so the crypic hints point to from proton!

;)

jr_sunshine
01-16-2004, 08:51 PM
I cannot even begin to express how angry the sound "April 2004 release of [8]" makes me.

NewTek....

Please.... sooner not later.

eggy
01-16-2004, 09:01 PM
Hey Chuck, I always thought this offer is supposed to end by June 30th.

Hehe that would be funny. :mad:

ballew
01-16-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Chuck
NOTE to Mac Users: DFX+ is keyed to the LightWave dongle (Must have Duo USB dongle which runs on both Mac & PC). You will receive a copy of Eyeon's DFX+ Software, which runs under the Windows platform only.

Mmmm, I just ordered this DFX+ deal. So this means that I am going to have to exchange my parallel dongle for a USB dongle to get the DFX+ to work, right?

How much does it cost for an exchange from parallel to USB and how is that handled (directly from Newtek or through a Vendor)?

How long does this exchange take?

Will the new dongle have the same ID so that all of my plug-ins tied to it will work?

Craig

3danim8d
01-16-2004, 09:45 PM
Can we please have a more definate "release date" please, I really want to pre-order the upgrade, but I am stuck replacing a workstation at the moment and funds are extremely limited, it would really help me plan my expenses if I know exactly when the pre-order offer will expire and when LW8 will ship.

Thank you,

Jeff

siproductions
01-16-2004, 11:30 PM
Guys, if you are still on the fence, GET OFF. This is a steal of a deal. Don't let it pass you by. Thanks to Chuck and Newtek for the heads up and a great deal.

cagey5
01-17-2004, 01:57 AM
Ballew. That sentance caught my eye as well, as I also have a parallel dongle [oh er], but I have already taken advantage of the upgrade and DFX+ works fine with it.

Whether something has changed in the meantime I don't know, but there was similar confusion around the time the deal was first announced, and as I say, no problem here.

jevinstudios
01-17-2004, 10:10 AM
I recently exchanged my old parallel dongle for a new dual USB dongle (need to switch between 2 computers frequently running Win XP Pro). Costs $35 + shipping (came to just over 40 bux). NewTek sent out the new dongle right away -- fast service, reliable and efficient.

Am happier with the new USB dongle, cuz I don't have to re-boot my machine when the swap is necessary....

Rowsby
01-20-2004, 01:33 AM
Chuck,

Will NewTek provide at additional cost to users, a paper printed manual for LW 8?

If so, what would the additional cost of the manual under this deal, be?

Thanks for your time and attention,

Rowsby

ChristopherCBET
01-20-2004, 11:02 AM
I recently exchanged my old parallel dongle for a new dual USB dongle...

Ooooo, I like the idea of being able to swap dongles with the power on. I have a parallel dongle now and I worry about it frying with being swapped daily between my home tower and my laptop. So the USB dongle takes the place of the parallel one with no changes or updates neccessary?

T-Light
01-20-2004, 11:38 AM
Box, cd's and printed manual bundle are available at extra cost, about $100, but don't quote me on that. :)

bloontz
01-20-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Rowsby
Chuck,

Will NewTek provide at additional cost to users, a paper printed manual for LW 8?

If so, what would the additional cost of the manual under this deal, be?

Thanks for your time and attention,

Rowsby

This is from Newteks upgrading FAQ-

"If you would like to receive the upgrade on CD with printed manuals you may purchase a convenience upgrade direct from NewTek or one of our international distributors for $99US."

Earl
01-20-2004, 11:40 AM
Rowsby,

Yes, they already have an option available. A 'convenience upgrade' can be purchased for $99. This will get you the retail box and manuals (I put in my order for this a few months ago). Just call NewTek directly to place the order...

nt65
01-21-2004, 02:31 AM
Hey Chuck,
Thats great news.
But I have something better.
How about Newtek and Eyeonline reward the poor mungrels who paid upfront 6-7 months ago for LW8 with a descent discount on the remaining modules for DFX+?

What do you think?

Regards,
Nick

js33
01-21-2004, 03:39 AM
I doubt you would get that but I think a free manual for anyone who ordered right after SIG (like me) is in order. :D

Cheers,
JS

cresshead
01-21-2004, 04:19 AM
my thoughts are that if lw8 ships in jan or feb 2004 then that was near enough to 4th quarter 2004...
if it ships in april 2004 or afterward then upgraders should get the manual n box for a discounted price of say $50 rather than the $100.
would seem fair and keep people happy.

nt65
01-21-2004, 04:25 AM
Manuals, Shmanuals.
Will you guys relax on the manuals!

I'm trying to get a discount here for all the DFX4+ modules.

SHEEEESH!!!

lonestar1
01-21-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by nt65
Manuals, Shmanuals.
Will you guys relax on the manuals!

SHEEEESH!!!

Never mind DFX, I want a discount on Jet-A. Can you get me 3000 gallons by Saturday? :-)

For $50, you can probably get the manual printed at a local copy store.

Rowsby
01-21-2004, 11:49 PM
Places like Kinko's tend not to want to print copyrighted materials, unless you can prove you're the intellectual property copyright holder...

Rowsby

lonestar1
01-22-2004, 01:36 AM
Places like Kinko's tend not to want to print copyrighted materials, unless you can prove you're the intellectual property copyright holder...

Printing one copy of a PDF file for your personal use should fall under the doctrine of "fair use." Having the CD should be all the proof you need. Some of the kids working at Kinko's might not agree, I suppose.

Perhaps Newtek should include a "Dear Kinko's" letter as a text file.

Rowsby
01-22-2004, 11:41 AM
That's actually a really good idea...

But I'm sure NewTek would prefer you buy the book and box from them, instead.

lonestar1
01-22-2004, 01:43 PM
That's actually a really good idea...

But I'm sure NewTek would prefer you buy the book and box from them, instead.

I doubt it. Shipping manuals is a pain in the neck that most software companies are trying to avoid whenever possible. Handling CDs is much easier (and cheaper) than handling books.

Rowsby
01-22-2004, 04:18 PM
I don't believe in this case, that it's a pain to ship manuals with a flagship product (Eyeon does it, thank god), so much as the expenses associated with producing and shipping hardbound manuals.

It's just cheaper not to bother with them.

bloontz
01-22-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by nt65

I received a call from an eyeon rep the other day and he told me they will have an attractive offer for the other modules soon.

hrgiger
01-22-2004, 04:38 PM
Anyone else get an email about this? I just got one today just saying that Lightwave 8 will ship soon. Getting my hopes all up that it will be released in the next few weeks when it probably won't be. Oh well.

Rowsby
01-22-2004, 05:11 PM
I would be interested in hearing the details of that...

Thanks.

Rowsby

TyVole
01-22-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by bloontz
I received a call from an eyeon rep the other day and he told me they will have an attractive offer for the other modules soon.

Did he give you any clues to the price?

Previously, they had a special where they were bundling the other modules for $1,000. I thought that was a bit much.

I Really would like to have a couple of those other modules. Perhaps they'll bundle them with the pre-release of v9. ;)

bloontz
01-22-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by TyVole
Did he give you any clues to the price?

Previously, they had a special where they were bundling the other modules for $1,000. I thought that was a bit much.

I Really would like to have a couple of those other modules. Perhaps they'll bundle them with the pre-release of v9. ;)

No he didn't, I saw that previous offer and agree it was rather steep. I'm hoping they will offer discounts on individual modules since I'm only interested in a couple of them.

Rowsby
01-22-2004, 05:48 PM
That would be cool...

Rowsby

nt65
01-23-2004, 06:59 AM
bloontz,
thanks for the heads up!!

I cant wait either.

Exper
01-28-2004, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by hrgiger
Anyone else get an email about this? I just got one today just saying that Lightwave 8 will ship soon.Received this email too.

I'm finally ready to update but it seems that here in Europe will be available only the electronic (download) upgrade! :mad:

I wrote directly both to Chuck and NT Europe hoping for a public clarification!
Hoping....

Bye.

Exper
01-29-2004, 08:00 AM
For European users:
something is moving... I hope we'll have a clear and definitive response quite soon! ;)

Elsewhere... I really don't know. Sorry!

Bye.

artstorm
01-29-2004, 10:15 AM
I personally hope for an electronic upgrade in Europe. I'm on a highspeed connection and have no desire sitting around waiting for a CD to drop on my doorstep when 8 is finally released.

Exper
01-29-2004, 10:28 AM
artstorm...
different POV...
I'm on a highspeed connection too but I'd prefear to keep my hand on the CD...
the same difference from downloading some mp3 (also if you're entitled to do it) and buy an original CD!

An object has its own indubitable value, IMHO!

Bye.

korn_kid
03-05-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by jevinstudios
I recently exchanged my old parallel dongle for a new dual USB dongle (need to switch between 2 computers frequently running Win XP Pro). Costs $35 + shipping (came to just over 40 bux). NewTek sent out the new dongle right away -- fast service, reliable and efficient.

Am happier with the new USB dongle, cuz I don't have to re-boot my machine when the swap is necessary....

Did you have to send them your old parallel dongle in order to get a new dual USB donlge, or did you get to keep your old one?

Im thinking about doing the same.