PDA

View Full Version : LightWave Eight Demo Videos Part 6 (2 new)

WilliamVaughan
01-16-2004, 09:08 AM
LightWave Eight Demo Videos

Here is the current list of videos showing off some of the exciting new features in LightWave Eight. More are on the way so stay tuned.

Note: Right Click on Link to Save the movies.

Part 1:

Cloth FX- Cloth Dynamics in action: 32.5 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/ClothFx_001.avi

Hard FX- Hard Body Dynamics in Action: 62 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/HardFx_001.avi

Soft FX- Soft Body Dynamics in action: 42.6 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/SoftFx_001.avi

IK Boost Tool- Basic example of rigging a character with new tools:36.8 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/IKB_001.avi

Part 2:

Expression Editor: 8 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/expressioneditor.avi

Hard Link/ Cloth FX: 22.9 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/hardlink002.avi

Part 3:

Modeler Edge Tools: 27.6
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/Modeler_edges.avi

Modeler Layers Tools: 8.17 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/Modeler_layers.avi

Ik Boost Tool part 2: 18.5
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/IKboost_octo.avi

Modeler Bridge Tool and a sneak peek at In-line Help System: 43 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/Bridge_Help.avi

Part 4:

Meta Link Example: 12 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/metalink.avi

Save Incremental Demo: 12 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/savedemo_001.avi

Intro to Dope Track: 11 Meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/dopetrackintro.avi

Part 5:

Hidden Line View Mode in Modeler: 5.6 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/HiddenLine.avi

Texture Wire View Mode in Modeler:50 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/texturewire.avi

Move TCB Tool: 8 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/MoveTCB.avi

Part6:

Fix poles with a glimpse of Make Pole: 10 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/fixpoles.avi

Rotate Skelegons:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/rotateskelegons.avi

***Quicktime Versions can be found here: 10 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/mov/

***Attention***
You will need the codec below to view these videos. When installing a new Codec it is sometimes necessary to restart your machine.

PC Codec:
http://www.techsmith.com/products/studio/codec.asp

Mac Codec:
http://www.techsmith.com/download/ensharpendecoder.asp

Mac Codec( Direct Link):
http://wcarchive.cdrom.com/pub/bws/bws_48/ensharpen_macosx.dmg

jr_sunshine
01-16-2004, 09:17 AM
Thanks William.

Any chance we could see the new motion mixer soon?

:D

WilliamVaughan
01-16-2004, 09:20 AM
New Motion Mixer?

Do you mean Morph Mixer?

jds580s
01-16-2004, 09:21 AM
Thanks Proton!

paul k.
01-16-2004, 09:26 AM
no I think we all want new motion mixer.....

I do have to give credit where it is do though.....

I really really like being able to test skelegons in modeler, this was much needed and fantastic.

However the opposite with the poles tool, We need NGONS not pole fixes. However the skelegon tools in Modeler are finally a step in the right direction.

KOlson
01-16-2004, 09:31 AM
Holy #@$!, Rotate Skelegons looks sweet! :D

oh and btw.. and I like the little lw icon on the title bars now.. looks excellent :)

WilliamVaughan
01-16-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by paul k.

However the opposite with the poles tool, We need NGONS not pole fixes. However the skelegon tools in Modeler are finally a step in the right direction.

The future is bright :)

KOlson
01-16-2004, 09:36 AM
Proton, do we get to see any vids on the new joint morph stuff soon? :)

WilliamVaughan
01-16-2004, 09:41 AM
We are going to try and do one video a day starting next week. All depends on time. The plan is to continue creating videos for the new features as well as older features.

I hope to record one of my demos that I give to groups as it is much better to see a complete demo then bits and pieces. Plus I get to tell fun stories when I demo to groups :)

KOlson
01-16-2004, 09:43 AM
looking forward to them :)

meatycheesyboy
01-16-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by paul k.

Originally posted by proton
The future is bright :)

I won't speculate as to what that means exactly, but it does have me excited for what's beyond 8.

TyVole
01-16-2004, 09:48 AM
I don't think they ever said there's was a new Motion Mixer.

I really wish they had.

jr_sunshine
01-16-2004, 09:49 AM
Sorry about that proton...

I mean't the new Morph Mixer... my bad.

:eek:

WilliamVaughan
01-16-2004, 09:51 AM
I do that all the time :)

The names are so close. There are plans for a videop for all new features.

KillMe
01-16-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by meatycheesyboy
I won't speculate as to what that means exactly, but it does have me excited for what's beyond 8.

yeah i noticed that little nugget too - lets hope it means what we think it means

samartin
01-16-2004, 10:23 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Ramon
I'd be curious to know how many times Ngons supported in SubD and also the feature of heirarchel Sub D were sent to: [email protected]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Proton
enuff times that we reacted :)

Yes, I've kinda read this that way too :confused:

julos
01-16-2004, 10:29 AM
The videos are nice, but seing skelegons just made me wonder : will ACS4 still work with Lightwave 8 ???

WilliamVaughan
01-16-2004, 10:35 AM
I dont see why not.

PaQ
01-16-2004, 10:35 AM
1) Maybe it's me, but isn't it more "natural" to rotate the skelegons aroud the Y axis (Heading) when you'are on the top view >? (like the normal rotate tool)

2) Is it possible to have different coordonate systems for the skelegons rotation ???? (Wolrd,Parent,Local) ... (sorry if the question seems dumb :S :D)

lede
01-16-2004, 10:38 AM
Thanks Proton, I've watched most of the videos and they are definatly a move in the right direction for Lightwave. The video collection for Lightwave is definatly a bonus. I only wish we had this kind of meterial when I first started.

-Lede

WilliamVaughan
01-16-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by lede
Thanks Proton, I've watched most of the videos and they are definatly a move in the right direction for Lightwave. The video collection for Lightwave is definatly a bonus. I only wish we had this kind of meterial when I first started.

-Lede

I agree...if I could have seen videos when I started it would have made learning new features that much easier. I hope to continue creating videos as time is available of older tolls as well.

Hector Moratill
01-16-2004, 12:09 PM
Proton, one question...

The past summer, Lee Stranahan showed in a video, the new VIPER integrated in a Viewport, and in addition, that new VIPER seemed to have new capacities. Something of this is known?, that it happens to VIPER?, have been solved their problems with the area lights?

I want one VIPER without problems :D

Regards

MrWyatt
01-16-2004, 12:20 PM
I order, I demand, I beg on my knees for a demo on animatable UV´s as i cannot figure out for what i would need this. please do one.

Noclar7
01-16-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by MrWyatt
I order, I demand, I beg on my knees for a demo on animatable UV´s as i cannot figure out for what i would need this. please do one.

the best example Ive heard of is imagine trying to animate a rope moving. instead of actually moving the geometry, you would just animate the uv's so it would look like the rope is moving even if its curled around something.

robinson
01-16-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Hector Moratill
The past summer, Lee Stranahan showed in a video, the new VIPER integrated in a Viewport, and in addition, that new VIPER seemed to have new capacities.

Wasn’t that supposed to be an example of the new SDK in LW 8.x, so plugin developer can integrate their plugins in the UI in 8.x.

Lee showed the integration of Worley G2 in Layouter, wasn’t Viper.

They took the video down because of this misunderstanding, but sure looked nice.:D

CB_3D
01-16-2004, 12:27 PM
One thing i´d like to know more about are the new Lscript commands, but i guess that won´t make it into a video, will it?:(

WilliamVaughan
01-16-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Hector Moratill
Proton, one question...

The past summer, Lee Stranahan showed in a video, the new VIPER integrated in a Viewport, and in addition, that new VIPER seemed to have new capacities. Something of this is known?, that it happens to VIPER?, have been solved their problems with the area lights?

I want one VIPER without problems :D

Regards

That wasn't anything from NewTek

Hector Moratill
01-16-2004, 12:42 PM
Well, they excuse the confusion, in any case, will have LightWave[8 ] some newness in relation to VIPER?

regards

Hector Moratill
01-16-2004, 01:03 PM
Some suggestions, Viper would have to be able to represent the following parameters

Objects Animation
Transparency (refraction)
Area/Linear Lights (Viper do not represent them correctly the area/linear lights)
Global Illumination
Light Intensity Falloff
Motion Blur
Depth of Field
Shadows and Shadow Maps
Lens Flares
Post-process effects such as Glow

etc.

Also, the possibility of disabling the representation of certain characteristics (as OpenGL in Display Options panel)

;)

hrgiger
01-16-2004, 02:00 PM
The rotate skeleongs will be a godsend in setting up deformations and smartskin. Thanks for the videos Proton and keep it up!

I love the black wireframes on the default gray surface color. It makes it look very professional and sleek. That will certainly be my default color.

Jaffro
01-16-2004, 02:08 PM
Plus I get to tell fun stories when I demo to groups
cool :D hehe

I'm noticing as i watch the demo vid's that texture wireframe is going to be my new home! :) Thanks again proton!

Steve McRae
01-16-2004, 02:16 PM
cool stuff

ericsmith
01-16-2004, 02:45 PM
Two questions for Proton:

1. If you rotate a bone higher up in a heirarchy, will the child bones follow along as they would in Layout?

2. Can we leave the bone rotated, and then edit the mesh, or will the bones reset when you drop the tool?

Eric

KillMe
01-16-2004, 03:05 PM
good questions if it can then smart skining is gonna be really easy =)

claymation
01-16-2004, 03:31 PM
Wow I just noticed the MetaFormPlus button in the pole video.

Demo that one

:)

Jay

mkiii
01-16-2004, 04:18 PM
metaform plus is an old 5.x plugin - nothing new there.

fortress
01-16-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by CB_3D
One thing i´d like to know more about are the new Lscript commands, but i guess that won´t make it into a video, will it?:(

Yes i second that as well :)

also there was talk of new game exporters making into 8 at sig last year any news on those

claymation
01-16-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by mkiii
metaform plus is an old 5.x plugin - nothing new there.

If they put it back in I was interested in if they updated it, added new features? What's the point of adding a tool back in that doesn't work with any of the mapping?

Jay

Chris S. (Fez)
01-16-2004, 05:41 PM
"The rotate skeleongs will be a godsend in setting up deformations and smartskin. Thanks for the videos Proton and keep it up!"

Christopher Lutz's "Rotate Skelegons" has been on Flay for months. It is a FREE plugin along with "Smartskin" (renamed "Jointmorph Plus" in 8). The currently available version of Rotate Skelegons does not account for the influence of other weight maps, which seriously limits its usefulness for making smartskin. In Vertex Paint we can rotate a bone and tweak the weights and watch the deformation change. We can't do that with the current incarnation of Rotate Skelegons and looking at how Proton set up the demo, I doubt we will be able to in 8.

hrgiger
01-16-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Chris S. (Fez)
[B

Christopher Lutz's "Rotate Skelegons" has been on Flay for months. It is a FREE plugin along with "Smartskin" (renamed "Jointmorph Plus" in 8). The currently available version of Rotate Skelegons does not account for the influence of other weight maps, which seriously limits its usefulness for making smartskin. In Vertex Paint we can rotate a bone and tweak the weights and watch the deformation change. We can't do that with the current incarnation of Rotate Skelegons and looking at how Proton set up the demo, I doubt we will be able to in 8. [/B]

Yeah, I knew about the Rotate skelegons plug-in.
Well, looking at the interface for rotate skelegons, it looks to me like we can assign weight maps to individual skelegons and if that's the case, then it would make setting up joint morphs easy. Now if it was the case that only one weight map can be effected at a time, it will still be ok because even in Joel Dryers first video on smartskin, you had to set up a harsh break betweeen joints in the weight map anyway so you really only have to see the effect of the one bone that is being deformed anyway. Although ideally, I would rather see the effect of two different weight maps on the same bone. Perhaps Proton would be able to elaborate more on LW8's rotate skelegons tool and it's usefulness on making jointmorphs.

Chris S. (Fez)
01-16-2004, 08:35 PM
"it looks to me like we can assign weight maps to individual skelegons and if that's the case, then it would make setting up joint morphs easy"

We can already do that in 7.5 with the "Set Weight" command. I am guessing the only added functionality is a "normalize weight map" check box, which is cool and all but...

sire
01-17-2004, 06:12 AM
To my taste it would have been better to improve Vertex Paint by adding sub-d display and joint morph preview directly in Vertex Paint. Sometimes it's necessary to add more than one compensation joint morph for different joint states (thus the 5 values in the Joint Morph Plus panel). Setting them up would be easier this way. To actually edit the compensation morphs is already quite comfortable: pose the skeleton in Vertex Paint, snapshot the pose to an endomorph, leave Vertex Paint, duplicate the newly created endomorph, tweak the vertices until it looks right, apply the endomorph duplicate with minus 100%.

Back in Vertex Paint, there would have to be something like "add joint morph" which would be applied when the bones are posed like when the endomorph was created (a "store pose" command which puts poses into a little library would also make sense here). Similar to setting the min/max IK constraints, the several values for Joint Morph Plus would be stored right from the current settings in Vertex Paint. This would of course mean that a simple morph mixer also would have to be integrated into Vertex Paint.

The Joint Morph settings gathered in Vertex Paint would have to be saveable to a file which will be loaded into Joint Morph Plus in Layout. This would have to be done for each bone which drives compensation morphs.

Maybe in an 8.x release?

MrWyatt
01-19-2004, 01:42 AM
cannot access the videos. my browser keeps saying the link doesn´t exist.
have the files moved ore is this due to maintainance?

isnowboard
01-19-2004, 01:46 AM
The files never worked for me. However, you can access them using a FTP client. The speeds are really nice that way.

Hervé
01-20-2004, 01:59 AM
the rotate skelegons looks very neat..... but I'll wait video tuts to jump in it.... he he