PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a problem or is a newbie LW phase

Nakia
01-16-2004, 08:27 AM
Do I have a problem or is a newbie LW phase?
I measure everything now, either physically or mentally. Constantly trying to figure out how many inches or feet is something. I started this when I started to get more involved with "n" key.
Will this stop or should I get help?
Will there be another crazy phase after the measuring thing?

This kind of reminds me of when I became a CATV Lineman and I couldn't stop looking at Utility Poles.

Nemoid
01-16-2004, 02:29 PM
Think it all depends from what you're modelling. precise objects and design : n panel is very useful!
organic:n panel useful however, but here an exercised eye is quite better sometimes...

prospector
01-16-2004, 02:36 PM
You haven't got to the worst part yet.

you'll start thinking everything is LW driven after awhile.
You'll be disecting leaves,skies, houses, bugs,
thinking of ways to make them better.
You'll be driving and thinking of the dynamics and how you could plug in expressions into the CD player.
You'll be bringing a camera everywhere, because everything you see will be a texture ya MIGHT need someday.

You have alot to look forward too...:D

Zach
01-16-2004, 02:38 PM
just remember, if you have your measurements in the options panel set to metric, you can convert from feet to metric just by entering in the numeric panel something like .... 6'12" (which is 6ft 12inches)

It will automatically convert it to metric!

yes!

You can also do simple and complicated math too!

like sin and ratios and whatever!

Elmar Moelzer
01-16-2004, 02:39 PM
Thats still not the worst stadium.
I think the worst is the one I am in now.
I cant even look at a family- photo without looking for render- errors, bad lighting or blurry textures...
:D
The real problem is, that I really see these. Hehe must be rendered with MAYA, LOL
CU
Elmar

animotion
01-16-2004, 02:41 PM
You are in trouble Dude!!

Next comes the CAT & DOG phase! Then after that you can kiss your A#$ goodby cause your hooked baby.

There is a cure, rub it three times and call your physician immediately!

Animotion.;)

fortress
01-16-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by prospector
You haven't got to the worst part yet.

you'll start thinking everything is LW driven after awhile.
You'll be disecting leaves,skies, houses, bugs,
thinking of ways to make them better.
You'll be driving and thinking of the dynamics and how you could plug in expressions into the CD player.
You'll be bringing a camera everywhere, because everything you see will be a texture ya MIGHT need someday.

You have alot to look forward too...:D

ROFL ohh so TRUE
so TRUE

Aegis
01-16-2004, 05:50 PM
Little tip: do some organic modelling as well - if you get too heavily into precise modelling it can be a bit of a shock when you have to build flowing organic objects - feels VERY odd working by eye with little precision when you're used to working in millimetres... :D

Nakia
01-16-2004, 06:22 PM
Me and two others started working on a pre-visual business. So I got more into precision way. From grid paper for hand drawn to rulers and yard sticks through the house. I was wondering about organic style modelling seem like a shock to the brain just thinking about. I figure I will put it off. But I will start trying to model some in the weeks to come.
Thanks for the heads up!! on that one.

Viridian
01-16-2004, 07:45 PM
I was driving downtown (Atlanta) and glancing at the tall buildings when I wondered "How many polys did this take?"

prospector
01-16-2004, 09:39 PM
C'mon
that's just 4 polys with texture and a really good bump map.
Get close and you will see the bumps go away:D

mamurphy
01-16-2004, 10:02 PM
Somebody, either in here or over at CGTalk has a signature that says something like..."You know you've been doing CG too long when you see everything in procedurals."

Well, I find myself wondering how many procedural layers it would take to duplicate the texture on my mouse, or the wallpaper, or the roadways, etc...

It's an obsession! Long live the Psychotics!!!!!

Tesselator
01-17-2004, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Nakia

Will this stop or should I get help?
Will there be another crazy phase after the measuring thing?

I couldn't live without my clear plastic cell flexible ruler with
the zero in the center! #1 most used modeling tool. I got
in the habbit when I was using Adobe Illustrator and Quark
Express for a living. :D

Jaffro
01-17-2004, 05:14 AM
I went through that phase, actually no i didn't cause im still in it! ahhh It just gets worse :D Keeping things in scale is probably the most important thing you can ever do imho, makes things really easy when you want to save time on later projects by re-using old models.

The worst place for me is on trains, because i start studying the lighting and thinking about how i would achieve it with decent render times. Then i start looking at the other people on the train, studying facial form. Just dont stare to long!!

Nakia
01-17-2004, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Jaffro

The worst place for me is on trains, because i start studying the lighting and thinking about how i would achieve it with decent render times.

I ride trains in NY everyday for work I do the same thing, also at the station. Trains stations have so much to look at and model. then working NY city adds more to it. On the way back I try to figure out how to model the gas station we pass by.

prospector
01-17-2004, 07:24 AM
I was ashamed to say this part but then I thought about your safety... so here is the worst effect I have ever heard of here in L.W.L.U. (Lightwave Learning University)

If you ever grow a garden, do not rototill more than 1 layer of depth.. You will never find the grid, no matter how deep you go.

SamuraiSlayer
01-17-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Zach
just remember, if you have your measurements in the options panel set to metric, you can convert from feet to metric just by entering in the numeric panel something like .... 6'12" (which is 6ft 12inches)

It will automatically convert it to metric!

yes!

You can also do simple and complicated math too!

like sin and ratios and whatever!

dunno if someone said somethin about this, but you can change the whole system to standard in the Modeler/Display tab/View Options/Units/

:)

but i still use meters anyways

SamuraiSlayer
01-17-2004, 11:08 AM
oh and to Nakia, this is just the beginning for you, as some other ppl have explained...

You'll walk down a dark alley and wonder if you can achieve the same lighting with radiosity

You'll watch a movie and tell your girl/boyfriend how all of the effects on the movie were achieved with lightwave

you'll wake up in the morning, late to work, and think you can "Keyframe" your car to work, and still make it on time (happened to me, i'm always real dazed and confused in the morning for the first few minutes)

you'll dream about being trapped in a 3D world

you'll look at a glass of coke and wonder if the fizz could be achieved with Hypervoxels

almost any object you see you will wonder how easy it can be modeled

you'll do witchcraft to get the thought of LW out of your head...
ok maybe that one was to get the mugshot pic of Michael Jackson outta ur head

well what it all boils down to is... you're stuck to LW for life, and you'll never forget about it

Nakia
01-17-2004, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the cool responses. Now I feel better that its a normal process of learning LW.

I also notice I do alot of mental Boolean. I have not lock up from soing some crazy boolean operation.

Will I forevery discribe actions such as beveling and extruding with my hands and fingers to other people.
At work we Povray alot I develope the habit of using my fingers for the x y z. This got as far as when we describe whole scenes to each other we held one hand up doing the classical x y z configuration and the other hand pointing in the 3D space where objects go. Actually LW broke that habit. With LW I use the whole room top discribe a scene. So I traded one for the other.
I guess it part of the beauty of LW, it allow you to get really into it. This making learning fun and self entertaining when in public (As long as I don't start moving the mouse around when I'm not at my computer).

Tesselator
01-19-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Nakia
Thanks for the cool responses. Now I feel better that its a normal process of learning LW.

I also notice I do alot of mental Boolean. I have not lock up from soing some crazy boolean operation.

Will I forevery discribe actions such as beveling and extruding with my hands and fingers to other people.
At work we Povray alot I develope the habit of using my fingers for the x y z. This got as far as when we describe whole scenes to each other we held one hand up doing the classical x y z configuration and the other hand pointing in the 3D space where objects go. Actually LW broke that habit. With LW I use the whole room top discribe a scene. So I traded one for the other.
I guess it part of the beauty of LW, it allow you to get really into it. This making learning fun and self entertaining when in public (As long as I don't start moving the mouse around when I'm not at my computer).

Hehehe... you'll know you've taken it too far when you step out,
look at a building, and say to yourself: "That's not photoreal
enough.. I can improve on that texture..." or while sitting in a
grassy park say: "This lighting is wrong... there doesn't seem to
be enough green tint in the secondary ambient under those
trees..."

SamuraiSlayer
01-19-2004, 12:18 AM
yea or whenever you look at something, anything, you think "wonder how long that'd take ta render?" and then "better turn anti-aliasing on"

Hervé
01-19-2004, 12:47 AM
Oulaaa, I was like that before... ha ha ha.... how many polys this house...? how would I model this or that...? Well, I had to quit all that, coz my wife told me I was getting rude and insane... ok so I've lost my goal of putting together a job using LW, but at the end that's ok... I am just on LW once a week now, I've lost a lot in first (also my future small job... he he), but now I feel better, more in real life.... I am still using LW, but just for fun now...

one thing I still like to do is to come here....

cheers