PDA

View Full Version : Motion Mixer

Johnnyx
01-16-2004, 05:32 AM
..whoever designed MM should get a Nobel Peace prize... its great!

However (yes, here it comes) Importing motion onto a model other than the original doesn't seem to work.

EG. I have a model to animate in my main scene, and a copy of the model in another scene. I am using the copy to create motion to be imported into the main scene. So far so good... the model in the main scene has a slightly different name set up ("IK_arm" is "IK_armA")..etc. No problem you would think.. MM pops up a remapping dialogue, which on the surface seems to work fine.. BUT... the imported motion will not play (It plays fine if I rename the bits of my model which are named different).. hmmmmm

Now, when I open the Channel Editor for this non working motion.. the third box on the right with a list of all the effected parts in it.. has "N/A" where it should have lots of nice ticks....

Well there you have it... anyone have the same experience? Know of a fix? ..maybe LW8 will sort this? ..

J

Tom Wood
01-16-2004, 06:42 AM
Hi Johnny,

I use MM a lot, but my characters are relatively simple. If the layers of each object are the same, you can use the 'Replace' function in the Layout toolbar. Select the first layer of the object in Layout, then do replace, and it will replace all the layers with the new object, and a popup will tell you that it has renamed everything for MM but you must first save and reload the scene.

I occasionally have to remap object layers, but mine are all named the same in each object, so I've never hit the problem you are having there. Seems odd it wouldn't work. But when I hit odd stuff like this, I usually acquiesce to the demands of the software and just give it what it needs to work.

HTH

TW

Johnnyx
01-16-2004, 07:06 AM
cheers Tom, I know what you mean about "acquiesce "!! - that's me all over...but on this occasion.. it would be great if the "re-map" feature would work... I have to admit, in most cases its just me not doing something the correct way... this has me stumped though....

J

Karmacop
01-16-2004, 07:22 AM
Why not rename IK_armA to IK_arm?

But yeah, it's weird the remap function isn't working .. :confused:

Johnnyx
01-16-2004, 07:51 AM
...just because there are a few characters of the same model in the scene, and they can't all have the same named bits.. but they can all use the same motion clips... havn't managed to get it working yet....!

fortress
01-16-2004, 08:39 AM
th etrick to motion mixer is using the same rig or skeleton
i used it a lot for doing some lip sync stuff for a game engine
at teh time teh engine did not support skeleton and vertex animatiosn at teh same time so when rigged up the face and use motion mixer for lip ync worked great as long as the models used the same skeleton

Tom Wood
01-16-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Johnnyx
...just because there are a few characters of the same model in the scene, and they can't all have the same named bits..

I guess my first reaction is, why not? Assuming that each character is a separate object file. If so, since the parts are under the hierarchy of the character, wouldn't the parts then be different to the program, even though they have the same names individually? But I've never done this, so I'm just guessing. :D

TW

Johnnyx
01-16-2004, 12:46 PM
..yup, I get your drift.. I guess I am hung up on the remapping names thing - which I can't get to work... hohum!