PDA

View Full Version : UK freelancing - LWO to Max question

Alex Rooth
01-16-2004, 05:06 AM
Hi all

I'm thinking of trying to get work as a modeller freelancing for games companies in the UK. It seems that all games companies here use Max. Is there a reliable way of converting LWO files to the Max format keeping everything intact and without hassle? Is anyone doing this at the moment? Thanks.

Alex

Johnnyx
01-16-2004, 05:37 AM
..just export as .3ds.. I am sure there is a option to retain texture co-ordinates... but you will have to re-apply these once in Max.. TBH, if your future clients are using Max... you will have to convert eventually.. you may be asked for UV/Vertex light info which wont translate (well, maybe it will but you would have to look at File Transfer software... this has NEVER worked well for me!)

J

spikey
01-16-2004, 06:05 AM
Export as Wavefront .OBJ, it brings the UV's happily along. We do it at work all the time (modeling cars in LW, exporting to game from Max). I don't remember offhand which OBJ exporter / importer worked properly, there was some that had some hiccups.. Search the forums for the last time someone asked the very same thing, I think it had links :)

-IL

The ripper
01-16-2004, 07:29 AM
Try this one:
LWOImport (http://users.skynet.be/fa008785/LWOImport.zip)

It loads LWO objects very good with UV, layers and even morph target to usewith morpher.

Cheers

Johnnyx
01-16-2004, 07:48 AM
..that looks cool! - I'm gonna try that too!... cheers Ripper..

(still think Alex will end up having to use the same software as his clients though...I work in the games industry too, and for sure, any outside deliverables would need to be in the target format...)

cresshead
01-16-2004, 08:07 AM
also get your max house to load the low importer

form here...

www.maxplugins.de

Alex Rooth
01-16-2004, 08:44 AM
Thanks for all the replies - I'll look into the suggestions. Thanks again.

Alex