PDA

View Full Version : bubble modeling?

Johnny
01-15-2004, 07:17 PM
I'm sure I'm not the first one to want to make bubbles...but I wonder about the modeling aspect of it..

I began with spheres, which looked like crystal balls upon render. Then thought to copy and paste one inside the other, one scaled a bit smaller, and flipped its polys, but I see no difference in rendering.

Am I on the right track trying to get the look of thickness to a bubble (whose membrane is very thin)?

Is this a case in which you need to have air polys inside the bubble so that light will behave properly?

I tracked down some tutorial links in a related post, but the bubble parts must have been removed..

thanks for any help!

J

riki
01-15-2004, 09:00 PM
Modeler already has a bubble primitive. Maybe post a pix so we can see where you're at.

pixelinfected
01-15-2004, 11:17 PM
try with hypervoxel and particles, i attach sample scene and movie (64Kb)
Sample movie (http://www.macchiavello.com/tmp/bubble.mov)

Johnny
01-17-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by riki
Modeler already has a bubble primitive. Maybe post a pix so we can see where you're at.

Here's a screen cap of both my model and of a render; the render is in a simple sphere with clouds, just there to give an environment.

in the wireframe screencap, you can tell that there's a sphere inside a sphere, which I made by copying, pasting to new layer, scaling down a little, flipping polys, then cutting and pasting back into the layer of the bubble originally copied.

To me, all of my 'bubbles' look like solid glass spheres w/respect to their light-handling properties, let alone that I haven't begun making a surface with some irridescence.

Any pointers on either modeling OR surfacing?

You can see my simple, quickie bar of soap, so that's the intended setting. I'm eventually going to use this stuff in a :30 spot (of a sink/faucet) for demo reel, and thought it would be nice, too, to have a bubble pop...

J
http://home.earthlink.net/~zoomin/bubls.jpg