PDA

View Full Version : New...free courseware contest

kurv
01-15-2004, 11:57 AM
We are giving away 5 copies of epic software’s LightWave 101 Interactive Training Course and Curriculum Guide

So if you’re a newbie to LightWave or feel you could use a 101 course join in here and have some fun.

For more information please visit www.wordware.com/LightWave101 (http://www.wordware.com/LightWave101 )

WORDWARE CONTEST DETAILS:

We are looking for original ideas for the LightWave 8 logo, we want to see sketches, planning, structure, etc...

Do not post your sketches and designs until Next Monday. We will pick 5 top people from the entries.

So go out their and design a kick @$$ LightWave logo… have fun with it and be creative!!

1. Post here if you intend on joining the contest…just a “hey I’m in”…thanks!!
2. Do the proper design work on paper, plan and sketch your logo.
3. Please do not post work until Monday
4. Ask this awesome community for help and assistance
5. Once you post your model, then post your sketches and such after so no one sees your ideas before you model them.
6. We will pick a winner on Friday, so you have OVER a week.

We will pick a winner next Friday, Jan 23rd...

NOTE: This contest is NOT sponsored or run by NewTek, we thought the LW logo would be a good well known thing to design from and model. NewTek is in now way involved with this contest :)

DADDYGOODY
01-15-2004, 12:26 PM
Well Ill have a go at it but I probably wont win but you never can tell.

kurv
01-15-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by DADDYGOODY
Well Ill have a go at it but I probably wont win but you never can tell.

Hey man, be creative and positive.. you never know :)

DADDYGOODY
01-15-2004, 12:29 PM
I dont quiet understand Am I designing one for lightwave itself or for the 101 book.

kurv
01-15-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by DADDYGOODY
I dont quiet understand Am I designing one for lightwave itself or for the 101 book.

Neither...

We are running a contest and giving away the courseware located at www.wordware.com/LightWave101 (http://www.wordware.com/LightWave101)

We thought it would be cool to do this on the LightWave logo... just trying to have fun and give away some free stuff :)

DADDYGOODY
01-15-2004, 12:38 PM
Well what should the logo be about.

VWTornado
01-15-2004, 12:42 PM
are we kind of using the existing logo as reference, or designing a completely new one from scratch?

kurv
01-15-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by VWTornado
are we kind of using the existing logo as reference, or designing a completely new one from scratch?

That’s up to you... be creative... I am the customer I am just asking for a redesign...

Having said that, I think it would be cool if someone made on that they liked and actually used but that is a long shot...

But for the long shot I think it would need to continue with the current branding.

cresshead
01-15-2004, 05:09 PM
i'm in...i think i may do a abstract version...get to look at the exsisting lw logo from i differetn point of view, though you should be able to see that it's still essentially the lightwave logo

i'll post it monday...gotta think about now!:cool:

steele3d
01-15-2004, 05:46 PM
I'm in...:)

-- Eric S.

lede
01-15-2004, 07:12 PM
I'm in. Sounds like a lot of fun. Now all I need is some time to do the work :)... Cool idea to have a logo contest. Good luck all and can't wait to see what is out there.

-Lee

Beamtracer
01-15-2004, 07:16 PM
Anyone who can design and build a logo in Lightwave is probably a bit above the level of "101 courseware", which is the prize.

kurv
01-15-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
Anyone who can design and build a logo in Lightwave is probably a bit above the level of "101 courseware", which is the prize.

I do not think so... my fifth model I am working on is a F4U Corsair... :)

I think I could do the LW logo...

Some dragging, some booleans, more dragging...

Nemoid
01-16-2004, 06:11 AM
Just finished the first version of my Lw logo!(entirely with Lw)
have to found a web in wich upload it for monday.. :D

kurv
01-16-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Nemoid
Just finished the first version of my Lw logo!(entirely with Lw)
have to found a web in wich upload it for monday.. :D

Email it to me I will host it for you if you like :)

This is looking good folks... We are hoping to see some really origional stuff!!!

Willax
01-16-2004, 10:07 AM
Another good idea for contest Wes. I'm not gonna be able to enter this one (bummer) due to time constraints, but thought I would throw my idea into the ring anyway. Here is a pic I worked on this morning. Pretty simple but I think says a lot.
http://home1.gte.net/res0hk2e/images/LW8Pic1.jpg

Nemoid
01-16-2004, 11:00 AM
Ok Wes! its just a "sketch" done in a hour or so, but further versions are coming... :) email too.

kurv
01-16-2004, 11:02 AM
Ok Wes! its just a "sketch" done in a hour or so, but further versions are coming... :) email too.

Cool... I am headed out the door though.. I will post it tonight ;)

Nemoid
01-16-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by wordwarepub
Cool... I am headed out the door though.. I will post it tonight ;)

first attempt sended at
[email protected] hope no prob withthat address. !

jeez, i really have to finish my website.

LWD
01-16-2004, 04:16 PM
So lets say you pick a winner, the contest is over....what happens to the logo design?

Jaffro
01-16-2004, 05:16 PM
Hey i'm in! :)
Just sketched something out and it kinda looks like Willax's idea, DOH! There are some essential differences so i hope that doesn't matter.
Are we restricted to one design? Or can we have several sketched and one modeled? or..?
Is monday the start of entries and friday the end or???

Nemoid
01-17-2004, 01:20 AM
Wes, Check your pm. Thnx :)

Edit : uploaded my image here for now :

http://ashley.planetgeko.com/%7Erenderst/4images/details.php?image_id=63

kurv
01-19-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by LWD
So lets say you pick a winner, the contest is over....what happens to the logo design?

I am going to submit it to NewTek and show them what you guys did... Who knows :)

Other than that... you guys own these... nothing :)

Jaffro, great!!

Nemoid, really sorry I have been running since Friday morning...trying to catch up... if I can make a subtle recommendation (love the logo)... I think it would look cool to have some of the holes in it like the current one has... just my opinion :)

Looking great group...

Nemoid
01-19-2004, 12:19 PM
I

Nemoid, really sorry I have been running since Friday morning...trying to catch up... if I can make a subtle recommendation (love the logo)... I think it would look cool to have some of the holes in it like the current one has... just my opinion :)

You read into my mind ,Wes! i was just thinking to add smth like that just because its similar to Taron's original logo and do some smaller tweaks to the form too. I'll make the possible to update it before friday. :)

kurv
01-19-2004, 12:21 PM
Well it is totally up to you :)

It is looking great!!!!

Matt
01-19-2004, 01:22 PM
Am I too late Wes? I'd like to take a crack at it!

Does the final artwork have to be totally out of the LW render engine? Or can we do some post in Photoshop (colour correction / adding text etc?)

The logo I have in mind will be modelled and rendered in LW.

Matt

BoulYaBase
01-19-2004, 02:14 PM
Hey Wes,

If it's not too late, I'm thinking about taking a stab at this. I've turned a couple of friends onto LightWave and they could really use some free training.

Would I have to enter under their name for the sake of product registration, or is it something that I could just hand off to them as a gift?

Please let me know. Thanks!

kurv
01-19-2004, 03:09 PM
No, no... go for it!!!!

for more information on this great training package go to www.wordware.com/LightWave101

Kuzey
01-19-2004, 04:56 PM
I've already made a set of lw file & folder icons, but funny enough not for the apps themselves...go figure.

I hope Newtek will update their icons to 128x128 pixel format and maybe even add icons for all it's file types :p

Anyway, here's a wip of my current lw folder icons I'm working on.

Kuzey

Matt
01-20-2004, 12:50 PM
Kuzey, aren't you supposed to be doing a logo? :)

Matt
01-20-2004, 12:52 PM
No, no... go for it!!!![/url]

Wes, I've PM'd you the URL to my initial sketch, am I supposed to post it here or just the final thing?

Cheers
Matt

Kuzey
01-20-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Matt
Kuzey, aren't you supposed to be doing a logo? :)

I'm not actually entering the contest, I was just giving Newtek a friendly reminder...to update the icons in LW8.

I hope Wes doesn't mind ;)

Kuzey

Matt
01-20-2004, 07:12 PM
Okay, this was my effort!

Initial Sketch Idea

Matt
01-20-2004, 07:13 PM
Modelling Stages (amazingly simple!)

Matt
01-20-2004, 07:15 PM
Final Render:

Matt
01-20-2004, 07:17 PM
Final Animation:

LW8_Logo_Anim.mov (12mb) (http://www.creactive-design.co.uk/temp/LW8_Logo_Anim.mov)

Matt
01-20-2004, 07:20 PM
I decided to move away from a 'spikey' logo variation, and came up with this infinity / 8 logo. Wanted it to be very simple and clean, so this didn't take too long to do!

Enjoy!

Matt

lede
01-20-2004, 07:43 PM
Matt,

You know that logo looks good. Hmm I wounder if you could get some motion blur on just the outer edge of the eight. It could look cool.

-Lede

Matt
01-20-2004, 09:11 PM
Thanks Lede!

Here's a variation. It has a more interesting model and more post edit in Photoshop, I prefer it . . .

The only thing is, I bet there are a million logos that use the infinity symbol!

Nemoid
01-21-2004, 11:25 AM
Here I am with a small update to my Lw [8] logo.
Holes added after Wes suggestion !

Enjoy :D

here you go : http://ashley.planetgeko.com/%7Erenderst/4images/details.php?image_id=77

Jaffro
01-21-2004, 05:23 PM
Ive gone for a more, hmm, bolder look ;) Will post sketches and models tommrow. Also might finish another design that i considered a little too evil looking :D hehe
If only i had the sketch scanned in now i would post it!

PS - love the designs guys, so much more pro than mine :) hehe

kurv
01-21-2004, 07:12 PM
Kuzey, nope I do not mind... :)

Matt, thats awesome!! I like it a lot!!

Keep em coming you guys... Two more days!!

Nemoid
01-22-2004, 01:54 AM
Tweaked the shape, made other small changements. even corrected some errors in the mesh.
the logo looks now more "inflated" :D Think this logo is at 90% done now. :cool:
hope I will be able to post a further enhanced version this evening!

Enjoy and go here : :D

http://ashley.planetgeko.com/%7Erenderst/4images/details.php?image_id=80

kurv
01-22-2004, 07:37 AM
Tweaked the shape, made other small changements. even corrected some errors in the mesh.
the logo looks now more "inflated" :D Think this logo is at 90% done now. :cool:
hope I will be able to post a further enhanced version this evening!

Enjoy and go here : :D

http://ashley.planetgeko.com/%7Erenderst/4images/details.php?image_id=80

Nice work man!!!! I love it!!

Jaffro
01-22-2004, 08:44 AM
Wes im going to pm you a zip with my sketches in (cause it seems everyone else is!).
For everyone else here's my main sketch which links to my modeled version, might post the other sketches and modeled versions later.

Jaffro
01-22-2004, 09:34 AM
Here's the developed and rendered version. Plus some editing in ps. :) May finish alternative versions if i have time.

http://www.digital-jaffro.co.uk/newtek/Jaffro_BoldLW8Logo.jpg

lede
01-22-2004, 09:36 AM
Okay here is my entry. There are still some small things I would like to fix but I'm just running out of time.

Oh Yeah I do have a sketch and I'll try and upload that later.

-Lede

kurv
01-22-2004, 10:52 AM
WOW, these are really good folks!!!

I sat here starring at these for a while... very nice work!!

lede
01-22-2004, 11:42 AM
Jaffro,

I like how you intergrated the orioginal symbol into an eight or infinity symbol. Really well done on the design.

Now then here is my sketch, you definatly can tell I have no sketching abilities (hehe).

-Lede

Kuzey
01-22-2004, 03:00 PM
Great work guys!!

Kuzey

Jaffro
01-22-2004, 04:58 PM
I had no intention of making it like the infinity symbol, when i first thort of the infinity symbol Uroboros came to mind (sanke eating its tail) - good to know a-level maths was worth it! haha :)

I was just sketching a mass of different ideas and the 8 symbol was one i liked. You can find them and some other wip stuff here (http://www.digital-jaffro.co.uk/newtek/logos.html) but it may take a while to load (i'm on 1mb cable and its ok for me) as there's a load of images and two gif animation modeling stages.

lede, my sketching gets much worse! The stuff i show is normally the top 25% of what ive actually done, the rest is too shameful to show :) hehe I like how your design uses the old logo, and makes it look old, but its being zaped by the new. I feel its representing updating quite powerfully :)

GregMalick
01-23-2004, 01:07 AM
Well, here's my first creation in LightWave.
This is actually my first render ever saved in Lightwave!
The first Image I did in PhotoShop.
The second was created in Light wave.
It took me 5 hours! If anyone needs training it's me.

p.s. Hold your laughter, I've only being doing this a month - and only in the evenings when I'm not busy.

Nemoid
01-23-2004, 02:29 AM
Nice work man!!!! I love it!!

Thnx Wes! I found holes were strictly required, and i think they give the logo in some way the look of a jewel, wich was one of my intentions. will try to post an updated vesion,if I have time and i'll be sure to post you or here a sketch or more of logo development (are sketches required, though? have alot of them! )

Oh, and i like very much Jaffro's one, too.

Great works, guys!! :D

Jaffro
01-23-2004, 04:14 AM
thanks Nemoid :) I really liked yours, but i think i prefered the thinner taller version. Probably the first one hehe Its so smooth and clean, i almost gave up when i saw it :) hehe

GregMalick, your images remind me of my first few saved renders :) Cool stuff. In lightwave try turning on antialiasing, do this by selecting the camera (shift+c) then going into its properties (p) and just over half way down there's an Antialiasing drop down, its default is set to off, switch it onto low or above and you will get a smoother line on your text when rendering :)

Matt
01-23-2004, 04:51 AM
Okay my final animation . . .

LW8_Logo_Anim2.mov (14mb) (http://www.creactive-design.co.uk/temp/LW8_Logo_Anim2.mov)

Jaffro
01-23-2004, 04:57 AM
O wow, that is really nice matt! I can see it up on huge displays at siggraph :) sweet

Nemoid
01-23-2004, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Jaffro
thanks Nemoid :) I really liked yours, but i think i prefered the thinner taller version. Probably the first one hehe Its so smooth and clean, i almost gave up when i saw it :) hehe

Considering the fact i worked way more on the 2nd version this scares me a bit!!!:D I agree that the thinner version is more elegant though.

I'd say, there's no prob with this. I still have different versions of logo so that Wes can EVENTUALLY choose what he likes the best.

However,you guys can find some quick sketches of Lw[8] design from me. all the rest i did with Lw. :)

Here :http://ashley.planetgeko.com/%7Erenderst/4images/details.php?image_id=84

And Here : http://ashley.planetgeko.com/%7Erenderst/4images/details.php?image_id=83

Enjoy ! :)

Jaffro
01-23-2004, 06:23 AM
I love elegance :) It reminds me of the knight/horse in chess, the way its head is shaped. Its really a fantastic shape. Thats why i like your design, its elegant tall and thin - like a woman ;)

Nemoid
01-23-2004, 06:57 AM
You're very right with your description, in fact my first inspiration was oth an 8 and a swan. I like elegance too.

but at first the thin taller version lacked smth , like Wes stressed giving me the advice of making it with holes, like Taron's one. I had thought about holes before, actually. making it with holes meant also rework it enrtirely, though. ad so I did.

I had also the feeling that making the logo more "compact" would be nice and easy to put it on a box or smth. and, even if the resamblence was with an 8, actually the shape is valid for more general purposes ( like it happens with classic and way more cool than mine Lw logo, wich can resemble to a 6, but was valid for 7 too )

I like both versions though they were SO fun to do with Lw tools :)

Jaffro
01-23-2004, 07:06 AM
Yea its been a really cool contest, really intresting to see logo design / re-design.

kurv
01-23-2004, 07:39 AM
Okay everyone... Friday post your final work!!! :)

Looking great!!!

GregMalick
01-23-2004, 07:40 AM
GregMalick, your images remind me of my first few saved renders :) Cool stuff. In lightwave try turning on antialiasing, do this by selecting the camera (shift+c) then going into its properties (p) and just over half way down there's an Antialiasing drop down, its default is set to off, switch it onto low or above and you will get a smoother line on your text when rendering :)

Thanks, Jaffo.
I've spent all my time in Modeler and Layout is kinda foreign to me. I wasn't even aware of camera properties.Any ideas on how I can softly blur the letters like in Photoshop without ruining the spotlight effects?

new anti-aliased jpeg attached.

Jaffro
01-23-2004, 07:48 AM
You could use glow to kinda fake the blur. There are two settings for glow. The first activates it and you'll find that in the scene tab under effects and image processing (or ctrl+F8). You then have to enable it on the surface you want that is under advanced settings in the surface editor. You'll need to play around to make it like your photoshop image.
But you'd be best off doing it in photoshop if you want it like photoshop :)

GregMalick
01-23-2004, 08:00 AM
You could use glow to kinda fake the blur. There are two settings for glow. The first activates it and you'll find that in the scene tab under effects and image processing (or ctrl+F8). You then have to enable it on the surface you want that is under advanced settings in the surface editor. You'll need to play around to make it like your photoshop image.
But you'd be best off doing it in photoshop if you want it like photoshop :)

I just want to learn the technique in LW... so if I need the effect in an animation I don't need PS. Thanks for the good suggestions.

BTW... I just tried it and your suggestion works (of course)... but I think it looks better without the Glow (unblurred). :)

Jaffro
01-23-2004, 08:06 AM
If you got dfx+ when you got lightwave then that's great for photoshop type effects in animation. Very useful. But i understand what you mean, its so much easier having just one rendered output.

GregMalick
01-23-2004, 08:29 AM
If you got dfx+ when you got lightwave then that's great for photoshop type effects in animation. Very useful. But i understand what you mean, its so much easier having just one rendered output.

I don't have dfx+ but I have AE 5.0 Pro & can upgrade to 6.0 for $299. After seeing the discussion "eyeon Software's DFX+ or After Effects" in the LW-community forum (specifically policarpo's use of AE) I'm thinking that would be my best bet. Check out policarpo's post work ... awesome. :eek:

Jaffro
01-23-2004, 08:52 AM
Ive never used ae, but will be sure to take a look at the thread when time permits :) thanks

philip
01-23-2004, 09:41 AM
I know we're not supposed to vote, but still; my vote goes to Matt.

awesome logo, Matt!! Now postoprone the release of 8 and give LW a splash screen with this one! :D

art
01-23-2004, 10:06 AM
I liked all logos too. My favorites are Nemoid's swan logo and Matt's logo. Matt's logo is simple yet effective. My only concern is, as Matt noted himself, how many infinity logos are out there?

Matt
01-23-2004, 10:54 AM
Thanks Philip! :)

So when are you going to do some more tutes on the SimplyLightWave site? I finally bought some credits the other day and downloaded the Stratocaster and the Creature Feature tutes, both are excellent!

:)

Nemoid
01-23-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by art
I liked all logos too. My favorites are Nemoid's swan logo and Matt's logo. Matt's logo is simple yet effective. My only concern is, as Matt noted himself, how many infinity logos are out there?

Thanx Art!!

think that i thought to an infinity logo too at first as you can see in my sketches, but since I wanted to make smth more complex than a simple stripe, more similar to some Ersher's work,and I wanted to use entirely Lw to do it, I gave up even because i had a limited time.( maybe I'll do smth like that soon however for my fun)

I like Matt's logo too:Great design and simple
Moebius ring is one of the best symbols of the world, and infinity is a great concept too. :)

BoulYaBase
01-23-2004, 02:37 PM
This didn't really go through an "on paper" stage, per se. One tiny thumbnail was drawn to preserve the idea, the rest was done on the fly in Modeler.

It occurred to me that if one were to pull the center of the existing logo downward, it would take on the shape of a spiral -- adding some dimension to the existing logo.

After trying with the original mesh, it soon became clear that it would be cleaner to start from scratch (although the spikes were brought in from the original logo).

http://www.singleflame.com/funstuff/lw_ww_logo.jpg

Whew! Hope I made it in time.

Matt
01-23-2004, 02:56 PM
I like that! Simple, pleasing colours and appears 'light on it's feet'!

BoulYaBase
01-24-2004, 05:39 PM
Thanks, Matt!

...and since you threw down the gauntlet with that animation, here's one right back at ya. :D

Logo Animation (http://www.singleflame.com/funstuff/lwnewlogoanim.avi) (3.5 MB, 640x480, DivX 5.0.5 + audio)

Nice logos, everyone! I certainly don't envy Wes' job of judging this contest. Best of luck to all.

DADDYGOODY
01-24-2004, 06:10 PM
Okay here is my logo idea kinda simple but I think it woulkd get the job done nicley. I do have sketchs and Ill put them up later.

DADDYGOODY
01-24-2004, 06:13 PM
Okay here is the sketch I hope I win I have alot of learning to do.

Nemoid
01-25-2004, 04:55 AM
Nice ! I'd make the 8 top circle smaller than the bottom one

Matt
01-25-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by BoulYaBase
Thanks, Matt!

...and since you threw down the gauntlet with that animation, here's one right back at ya. :D

Ooooooh I like that a lot! :) I love the little 'sparkle' sound when the text "it's everywhere" pops up!!!

GregMalick
01-25-2004, 10:33 AM
BoulYaBase,

Excellent work! Did you use compositing to make the video? If so, what program(s) did you use?

BoulYaBase
01-25-2004, 11:18 PM
Matt: Thanks! That's a bit of Rhodes there. Originally, it seemed like it should be something bright, so I tried bells, but it worked against the feel of the whole thing. Way too bright. Second try was a mellow vibe sound, which almost made the cut. Then Rhodes, which took it. Thanks for noticing! :)

Greg: Thank you. Yes, there were four or five anims that were assembled in Premiere 6.5. The various shots were rendered out of LW with alpha channels so they could be layered easily. I don't normally get to do logo anims, so this was a fun challenge.

erics
01-26-2004, 12:41 AM
Here's my entries...Although late. The tattoo shop I work at was pretty packed this week so didn't have much time to work on it. Oh well...Enjoy. Heh.

http://www.tinymangraphics.com/weblinks/lw8_final.jpg

http://www.tinymangraphics.com/weblinks/lw8_sketch.jpg

Matt
01-26-2004, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by BoulYaBase
Yes, there were four or five anims that were assembled in Premiere 6.5

Can I ask what settings you had for the anim out of Premiere? I tried DivX but it kept hanging it, also almost every compression I tried to use on the sound it had horrible clicks all the way through, so I had to use uncompressed.

Have to say, the more I use Premiere (which we only bought so we can build animations with) the more I think it sucks!

Cheers
Matt

P.S. I have DivX Pro too.

kurv
01-26-2004, 07:33 AM
Sorry about Friday... we will be judging today :)

Man these are good...it will be tough!!

BoulYaBase
01-26-2004, 09:46 AM
Hi Matt,

Microsoft ADPCM was used for the audio codec. The IMA ADPCM codec usually works fine for me too. I've not had much luck getting Premiere to resample very well, so I try to make sure that all the audio is at the same rate going into the project. That usually keeps the clicks and pops at bay.

In this case, the audio was mixed down at 16 bit, 44.1 kHz before it was brought into Premiere, and was exported with the same settings. If it matters, interleave was set to 1/2 second.

When encoding from Premiere to QuickTime, I'll typically go with the IMA 4:1 codec for audio.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Matt
01-26-2004, 11:06 AM
Thanks, I'll give it a go! What about the DivX side of things? I just don't know enough about tweaking with codecs to achieve the ultimate settings!

I usually just create several and pick the best in terms of size / quality, but it's all guess work!

BoulYaBase
01-26-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Matt
Thanks, I'll give it a go! What about the DivX side of things?

I don't typically do multi-pass encoding, although it probably would produce smaller file sizes with better results in many cases.

These settings reflect DivX Pro 5.0.5. I haven't updated to the newer versions yet.

Bitrate Control:
Variable bitrate mode: 1-pass
Encoding bitrate: 5000 kpbs

General Parameters:
Psychovisual = Light
Pre Processing Source = Light
Max Keyframe interval = 300
Scene Change Threshold = 33%
Performance/Quality = Slowest

Profiles:
Hi-Definition
MPEG-4 Bidirectional Encoding

Hope this helps! :)

Matt
01-26-2004, 12:22 PM
Thanks BoulYaBase, but everytime I try to build the movie Premiere just hangs :(

Might re-install an earlier version to see if it has something to do with this new release (I'm on 5.1.1 Pro)

P.S. The reason I'm asking for the settings is because my movie was a whopping 14mb! Yours was only 3.5mb!!!

BoulYaBase
01-26-2004, 12:36 PM
You can also try deleting the "Premiere 6.5 Prefs" file under Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere (it's a preferences file that will be time/date stamped with the most recent use of the program). Sometimes it gets corrupted.

You'll have to re-specify some basic preferences afterward, but it might help. Premiere will automatically create a new version.

Matt
01-26-2004, 12:43 PM
I tell a lie, it does work! It's just takes ages to show any progress that I kept kicking it out before it had chance!!!

The MS ADPCM compression seems to kills any low end frequencys though, there's some bassy bits on mine when text appears that is missing, still it's now 3mb rather than 14!!!

BoulYaBase
01-26-2004, 01:32 PM
Cool!

kurv
01-26-2004, 02:08 PM
Okay folks going through and judging now... :) Whew this is not going to be easy...

kurv
01-26-2004, 02:35 PM
Okay, before I announce the winners I wanted to say the work all of you posted is amazing. When I was looking through this post I saw so much diverse thoughts on the logo and such design… whew..

Being a complete newbie my self this training course has been great and at the price of 59.95 (20% off if you get it from us :) ) it is a great deal…

Matt as you turned yours in with a tutorial on how you made it I was watching it closely. The design was simple yet amazing… I truly hope NewTek can find a home for it…I think it would be a great video to see at Siggraph.

Nemoid, your design was so cool, it does look like a swan and at the same time fine jewelry… very nice work and would also make for a very cool new logo :)

DaddyGoody, fantastic work, I think it lacks the rounded look and feel of the style but your spin on the design is great!!! I think you did a great job!!!

Willax, I agree that was a good idea, sorry you did not have more time.

BoulYaBase, wow I loved the video work, the different camera passes added a sweet touch to it, where to you guys find these audio clips… Very nice work. Again I love the coloring and simplistic style.

Jaffro, very nice LW and Photoshop work, I love the style!!! Your colors are awesome!!! I think the only improvement would have been to add in some of the holes for style. Very nice work!!!

GregMalik, Awesome man you stepped out and went for something different, I like that!! You did a fantastic job man, I like both of those a lot!!!

Lede, WOW, what can I say that is the best texturing and design I have seen… You did a fantastic job I truly hope that has a home at NewTek. While I think it is a bit to industrial for the main logo, I think it does have some use at NT…

Erics, what a stylish logo man!! I like it a lot, I love how you worked in the L and W into the logo… Very nice work!!

kurv
01-26-2004, 02:39 PM
Here are the winners in no order. I felt like these people presented the best designs and work and to list in any order would take away from the others.

So in no particular order here are the winners.

BoulYaBase
Matt
lede
Nemoid
erics

I truly hope everyone had fun with this and learned a lot through this contest.

If you entered this contest please email me at [email protected]

If you won, please email me your address, name and a phone number for shipping purposes.

DADDYGOODY
01-26-2004, 02:39 PM
Ah oh well I tried. It was fun to do I hope there are more contests were you can win stuff I would love to do another one.

kurv
01-26-2004, 02:46 PM
Please be sure to email me everyone...

If you entered the contest please email me... :)

Jaffro
01-26-2004, 03:45 PM
Congrates to those who won! Thanks to wes for organising the contest - a really good one I think all would agree!

erics
01-26-2004, 10:46 PM
The contest was really fun...Hopefully there will be more in the future. Thanks Wes!

lede
01-26-2004, 11:13 PM
Thanks Wes for this great idea. This was definatly a fun project for me to work on and watch other Lightwavers at the same time. Good work all and hope to watch you in future compatitions.

Keep Waving!
-Lede

Nemoid
01-27-2004, 02:48 AM
Hiya guys!! :)

I'm very glad to be between the winners!!!Seeing the quality of other users logo, and animations too, I actually thought i had small possibilities to reach the goal!!
I'm making high jumps of about 30 meters despite my room is a 2,50 meters high attic. some probs to my head dunno why!! :D

It was SO fun to partecipate this contest.
Actually i didn't join to win the courseware at all, even if i think it can be useful for me or other newbie friends I have; what I liked so much was the possibility to project a Lw related logo wich could also be helpful in some way both to Newtek and to Wordware publishing too, so, thanx Wes, you had a fantastic idea IMO

P.S. mail is coming.

Ciao from Italy!

Matt
01-27-2004, 03:13 AM
Whoohoo! I never win anything! :)

Thanks Wes, it was fun!

Now how about a comp' for that lovely "LightWave Tips & Tricks" book, or maybe the texturing book by Leigh :)

Oh, well done to everyone!

P.S. Just read the start of this thread, it did say any "newbies" wanting to win, I feel a little bad now as I'm not exactly a newbie, I just wanted to enter for the spirit of it, I didn't really think!

I've emailed Wes to ask whether I can donate my prize to a member who might need it more than I, I've asked him to pick someone he feels would benefit from it, I'm waiting for his reply.

GoodieBR
01-31-2004, 01:10 AM
Hey people! Hey Wes!

You have forgotten us LWG members!!! :(
http://www.lwg3d.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16941

I really wanted to win this courseware... :(

Anyway, if I knew how to attach files here, I would post my entry here too in order to join this great gallery! :D

GoodieBR
01-31-2004, 01:11 AM
Nice! The attachment worked!

So here's the original version, with a dark background:

GoodieBR
01-31-2004, 01:13 AM
Now the vector sketch:

GoodieBR
01-31-2004, 01:14 AM
And the last, the wireframe...

Jaffro
01-31-2004, 04:08 AM
Cool, thats a really nice one! :) I like the light background most.