PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave home licience ?

philip kelly
01-15-2004, 10:37 AM
Dear all
I am a microstation and formz user, which I use in an office every day.
My question is is there such a thing as a home user licience for Lightwave, as I would prefer to use LW as a home package for personal projects ie animation of characters and hopefully one day to make a short, and it seems like the only package to use.
It is a bit out of reach price wise, and since i have no intension of using it commercially, is it possible.

I am against piracy as I am a firm believer in What goes around comes around, so you never really feel you can post anything or feel good about the work you do with bootleg software, and of course it is illegial.........

Any help on the matter would be great.

regards
philip kelly

meshmaster
01-15-2004, 01:13 PM
and just buy it... I use it as a home version. Yes, it's expensive, but not as much so as 3ds Max or Maya... There is a demo version, but it's highly limited in the output - you are limited to like 500 poly or something... and it has watermarks, not watermarks as obtrusive as Maya PLE's but still watermarks. Another option, if you are on a budget is Gamespace or trueSpace (http://www.caligari.com) or even the freeware Wings 3D.

Hexa
01-15-2004, 03:18 PM
You could also take a look at www.blender.org
Its free and has great features.

I used it alot before moving to LW.

themaxx
01-16-2004, 12:56 PM
sounds like the academic license is what you need. don't suppose you're affiliated with an academic institution?

Nakia
01-17-2004, 06:57 AM
Academic or better yet Blender 3D
www.blender.org

Rei
01-17-2004, 12:20 PM
I would recomend a student Licence, its non commercial but it doesnt have any limitations on it, im not sure about any water marks.

Blender...

Use Wings 3D! (and some render)

philip kelly
01-18-2004, 06:35 AM
First of All thank you all for the advise.

I am not affiliated with any college or otherwise.
I wrote to Lightwave sales but after 5 days still no answer.
So I supose they don't even entertain the idea of a home licience.

I had a look at blender, very impressive i have to say.
I told one of the other guys in the office who is looking to get in to 3d and he is giving it a go, I thank you for that.

I will mail Newtek again , and see if they have any thought on the home licience thing.

Thank you all again.

regards
phil