PDA

View Full Version : Background Rotoscoping in LW8

animotion
01-15-2004, 07:28 AM
Is the bkg plate movie speed going to be usable for us that would like to do rotoscoping ? This has never really worked correctly in LW.

Also I wonder if deformations in modeler going to be what you see is what you get in layout?

I am a little confused on the statement about getting the uprgade that I paid for In the US last August, whill I have to pay more because they are now sending it on CD?

Animotion;)

nixx
01-15-2004, 08:09 AM
I don't have an answer to any of your questions, just a suggestion for the rotoscoping problem...

Use PNGs for your BG sequence, they somehow scrub faster in LW than any other format, at least that what my experiments with different formats have shown. And of course, create a low-res version of the sequence to use as BG.
With half-res PNGs, I 'm able to manually scrub through the timeline in LW and, in most cases, have the BG in the camera view update in real time (or near- real time). Of course if you make an OpenGL preview, it makes no difference, everything will play back in real time.

nick

Meaty
01-15-2004, 08:25 AM
nixx... great suggestion!! thanks

animotion
01-15-2004, 11:31 AM
Thanks nixx, I tried your suggestions and still am only able to get every fifth frame playback at best, including doing a preview as an option no matter what codec I use.

Are you telling me that you can get 30fps playback in LW? If so, what the $#$%@ !!!!! I have never seen this done with LW.

All of my other aplications including messiah can play back background video at 30fps full screen on the same machine without a problem.

This has been an elusive thing for me, am I the only one that has this problem? remember I am talking about background video playback at 30fps.

Thanks,

Animotion:confused:

T-Light
01-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Can't help you with NTSC at 30fps. I use PAL, it only runs at 25 fps, but is a higher resolution image. I've never had any problems (codecs apart).

How fast is your hardrive?, If your systems of a reasonable spec (processor, memmory, graphics card) you're hard drives been defragged recently and you don't have any memmory hungry programs running in the background, I can't think what you're problem would be.

Sorry.

nixx
01-15-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by animotion
Thanks nixx, I tried your suggestions and still am only able to get every fifth frame playback at best, including doing a preview as an option no matter what codec I use.

Are you telling me that you can get 30fps playback in LW? If so, what the $#$%@ !!!!! I have never seen this done with LW.

All of my other aplications including messiah can play back background video at 30fps full screen on the same machine without a problem.

This has been an elusive thing for me, am I the only one that has this problem? remember I am talking about background video playback at 30fps.

Thanks,

Animotion:confused:
No, no, no - sorry if I mislead you there Animotion, and actually, now that I think of it, I did use the term "real time" wrong.
What I meant was that using PNGs I can scrub back and forth through the timeline, and the BG sequence updates as soon as I stop scrubbing, or pause, etc. And it does update a few frames while scrubbing, too (probably same as your setup, every fifth frame or so). So no, I don't have a real time 25fps playback of image sequences, no, but I am able to work smoothly without any such delays ever holding me back.

including doing a preview as an option no matter what codec I use
That does sound weird, though. If I make an OpenGL preview, I get smooth 25fps playback, together with any image sequences (BGs, textures etc). And it makes sense, since all frames are loaded into RAM as 2D images and play back from there.

nick