PDA

View Full Version : Surface Editor Question

sculptactive
01-15-2004, 05:47 AM
Could some please explain why I can rename, copy or paste a surface, but I am unable to delete one.

I would like to delete the surfaces I have renamed x and xx.

I am sure there is a valid reason for this.

Thanks

Dodgy
01-15-2004, 06:18 AM
When you save your object, if there are no polygons with that surface, the next time you load the object, the surfaces will have gone.

sculptactive
01-15-2004, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the prompt reply.

If there are polygons with that surface?

Surely you are trying to delete the surface not the polygons.

thanks.

gazmon
01-15-2004, 06:43 AM
I think all polygons have to have a surface name wether its called default or one you used. You could select those polygons called x in modeller and give them a different surface name, that should get rid of the surface.
Gaz

bloontz
01-15-2004, 07:41 AM
I think what Dodgy was trying to say was that if the surface is no longer used by any polys it will be removed the next time you load the model. It will remain during your current session.

Exper
01-15-2004, 07:47 AM
This is another behaviour of Modeler/Layout separation!

Matt
01-15-2004, 07:53 AM
be nice if there was a 'flush surfaces' button which cleared out unused names.

SrE
01-15-2004, 08:08 AM
The posted image is from Modeler, and it says there are 58 polys using these surfaces.

You should reasign them a new surface, or delete them to get rid of the surfaces (after reloading the object :( , I'm with the flush idea)

sculptactive
01-15-2004, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the replys.

'flush surfaces' sounds like a great addition.

robewil
01-15-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by sculptactive
'flush surfaces' sounds like a great addition. It also would be another button to clutter up the interface. Is selecting and re-assigning a surface really so bad?

Matt
01-15-2004, 04:21 PM
Not really, but if you happened to have a lot of redundant surface names from copying geometry from other models / creating and deleting etc. you can end up with a lot in there.

Sure you can quit and reload to clear them, but if it's a large model you can waste time, a flush button would take seconds.

robewil
01-15-2004, 04:34 PM
I guess I'm not in the habit of copying so much geometry from that many objects where this would be so tiresome. It's just that red flags wave every time I see someone wanting a "button" to replace a procedure that is not really that difficult.

pixelinfected
01-15-2004, 07:33 PM
you cannot delete surface be cuase you cannot delete part of lwo value.

in modeler you can edit obj, add, remove, and more be cause you edit a list of point, polygons, surface etc (a structure of lwo obj).

in layout you can only load obj and modify some limited info (modify, not delete) of obj. in particular you can only modify surface value, but you cannot write in other part of lwo structure.

to be honest, actually we also add (not modify or delete) morphmap, but no more.

i hope early we can write in other part of lwo structure, which allow user and developer to edit weightmap, and more.