PDA

View Full Version : Video cards - Quadro vs GeForce for LW8

Steve McRae
01-15-2004, 05:25 AM
. . . can anyone answer this one? . . .

. . . I am thinking about upgrading my vid card (right now a TI-4200) because it causes some minor issues with Maya . . .

. . . does anyone know wether or not LW8 will take advantage of the Quadro series cards with it's new OpenGL enhancements . . . ?

. . . I was under the impression that you did not really get much of a speed boost with the Quadro cards with LW in the past because it had not been optimized for them (I know there is a setting in the drivers for LW) - is this true . . . ?

. . . the cards are so much more money that they would have to be quite a bit better before it would be worth it for me to get one . . .

mattclary
01-15-2004, 05:30 AM
No one here can answer this, as none of us have used 8 yet. Personally, I would wait til 8 comes out to make the move. However, if you're having issues with Maya, the Quadro won't "suck" in LightWave and it should help you out in Maya.

Of course, you shouldn't really be using Maya anyway. Maybe God is trying to tell you something. ;)

Steve McRae
01-15-2004, 05:46 AM
. . . LOL - funny man :) . . .

. . . well I probably should have addressed it to the devs . . .

. . . which of you out there in the real world use Quadro cards - anyone? . . .

BeeVee
01-15-2004, 06:11 AM
I use a Quadro FX 1000 and it does have drivers written specifically for LightWave (the main reason to get a Quadro over a GeForce).

B

Steve McRae
01-15-2004, 06:14 AM
. . . but *how much* better are they? . . .

. . . are they worth the absolutely massive difference in price? . . .

BeeVee
01-15-2004, 06:16 AM
I was amazed at the performance of the FX500. I don't think the difference in price is worth it to get the FX1000 that I have.

B

Noclar7
01-15-2004, 08:12 AM
I use a quadroFX1000 here and it works like a dream. (mind you I was on a matrox millenium g450 about a year ago).

You will notice a difference, especially in maya considering they update there application drivers regularly for nvidia (hint hint newtek :))

For lightwave -7.5, you can have antialiasing and anisotropic filtering enabled in your open GL viewports. For 8, it looks like Newtek is taking advantage of more of the openGL 2.0 features, which is very good news for quadro users.

Also, with the new fx line there is the advantage of cg shaders or (realtime procedurals)mainly for game dev, and the funny thing is, ALL OF THE OTHER MAJOR 3D APPS HAVE INTEGRATED THIS (HINT HINT NEWTEK)

The only thing i dont like about the quadro's is the price, but if you dont buy the top of the line you will be allright.

Regards,

tjacobs
01-15-2004, 08:50 AM
I use the Quadro XGL 700 -- came with the Dell workstation. It is not bad, but not worth the extra money when using Lightwave 7.5.

mcewan7
01-15-2004, 09:09 AM
Does anyone know for any websites with performance comparisons between the geforce and quadro? I know theres loads that copare geforce to radeon.

Steve McRae
01-15-2004, 09:17 AM
. . . i found one that compares the latest Quadro cards but I could not find and Quadro/GeForce benchys . . . probably because they are in a different class from one another . . .

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030916/index.html

if anyone finds any Quadro / GeForce benchys let us know - I would like to compare to what I have . . .

mattclary
01-15-2004, 09:23 AM
Oh, I should have mentioned, just moved from a Wildcay VP 970 to a Geforce FX 5900 SE. Haven't given it a workout yet, but since I didn't see any real improvement when I moved from a TI 4200 to the VP 970, I think it will be OK. I moved so I could play some newer games that the Wildcat wouldn't.

My advice; save the money.

Zach
01-15-2004, 02:28 PM
I lucked out and got a 900 XGL, and it is way better than many I've tried out. Works great in Maya, and Lightwave.

stay away from the oxygen cards for LW. They just aren't compatible enough. I used to have major texture issues with my GVX-1

jevinstudios
01-15-2004, 05:45 PM
GeForce cards are low-end and NOT supported for Maya -- I've never used one and never will (don't know about LW)....

The Quadro series (I've got a 900 XGL) are excellent cards -- haven't had a single problem with them.

When you buy a cheaper card, you get lower-end performance. Since you are a multi-program user (as I am), check both the Alias Maya Quals chart (you'll see a GeForce card warning there) and check with NewTek support, then make the decision.

Steve McRae
01-15-2004, 06:09 PM
. . . hi Jevin . ..

. . . yes I am aware of the hardware list and the warning

. . . I know the limitations of the TI-4200 - I just wanted to know *how much* of a increase in performance I could expect with a quadro card . . .

bloontz
01-15-2004, 06:55 PM
I have a Quadro 900 XGL and it's a good card.

If you are adveturous you could try to "Soft Quadro" a GeForce card-

http://www.nvworld.ru/docs/sq4e.html

Tesselator
01-15-2004, 07:30 PM
Hey atomman,

Use Google Group Search on comp.graphics.apps.lightwave and
look for messages posted by Jeff K. or Applied Visual or Dark
Science. This topic was discussed at great length by some very
bleeding edge type CS guys over the course of many threads.
Basically it can be summized that the FX models are the same
speed as thier Quadro counterparts when displaying LW7.5
OpenGL with the sole exception of antialiased grid display. If
however, you also intend to run software that uses some of the
more advanced features found in OpenGL 2.0 (I guess like
pixel shaders and stuff??) then the Quadro cards will kick
butt all over the FX models. (This "software" includes Maya!)

BTW, Unless there are some new additions to the FX line since
I previously looked only cards of greater model numbers than
5700 will out proform the Ti4600 and in some cases even the
Ti4200, when displaying LightWaves OpenGL.

For Lightwave display the single most critical spec to note is
verticies per second / Triangles per second. This may not be
true of L8 - I donno.

In summary: if all your running is LW 7.5 get the FX59xx. If
you're also running Maya and/or xSI get the Quadro 2000 or
3000. you'll be way glad you did.

CB_3D
01-16-2004, 04:47 AM
We are looking at the PNY Quadro FX1100 with 128 mb. Would that be considered a good card for 8, presuming it is OpenGL 2.0 optimized?

http://www.pny.com/products/quadro/fx/1100fx.asp

Justinw
01-16-2004, 05:16 AM
Hi there,

In regards to the use of LW with Quadro cards, I think that Newtek would be advertising the fact that that the viewports will have (from nvidia site, http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_20030120_7406.html) ".....sophisticated real-time shaders to simulate a virtually unlimited range of physical characteristics, such as lighting effects (fresnel effects, chromatic dispersion, reflection, refraction, BRDF models*, etc.) and even physical surface properties (such as casting effects, porosity, molded surfaces, etc.)." if in fact they were going to be implemented. I agree with Tesselator, if you also use an app that has proven Quadro performance, then spend the extra money, otherwise, buy a GeForce card (I'm upgrading soon to an Athlon 64, and have decided on a higher end (not the best though.....) GeForce card.....) although, i wonder what PCI express will bring in the near future??!!??!!

Cheers, :-)

Justin W.

Steve McRae
01-16-2004, 02:18 PM
. . . very cool Tess, thanks for that . . .

Steve McRae
01-23-2004, 08:04 AM
well I softquadro'ed my Ti4200 and the computer sees it as a Quadro4 780 XGL. I am using the 52.16 Nvidia drivers.

ALL of the problems that I was experiencing with Maya are now GONE.

very happy . . .

something else that I noticed was moving the same mesh around in Maya is incredibly more quicker than in LW. I hope that the new OpenGL optimizations in 8 would address this issue and take advantage of the technology that OpenGL offers. . .

KillMe
01-23-2004, 10:16 AM
hi i' m planning on upgrading my workstation and while iw as at it going for a professional card but i do play games on my workstation too will a quadro 980 XGL still play games?

bloontz
01-23-2004, 11:03 AM
I've had no problems playing games on my 900 XGL.

Extent
01-23-2004, 09:00 PM
A Quadro card will have a significan't speed increase in lightwave, but not because of the hardware, it's all in the drivers. The Quadro OGL driver is far better for OGL performance than the "consumer" drivers. By using hacked drivers on my FX5600 I could nearly double almost every one of my SpecGLPerf scores, and it did add noticeable perk to Layout with a poly heavy scene that I was using to test. LW still won't take advantage of the more advanced features that the card has to offer, but it does benifit from the across the board OGL performance boost.

If you want no hassle performance then get a quadro. If you're particularly comfortable experimenting and comfortable taking risks in buying something that you may not be able to boost the performance of (FX cards are much harder to deal with than the previous GF4 series) then get a normal card and softmod it, the hardware is identical. If you don't care so much a bout the performance then just get a consumer card and save the money.

Now if I only had a simple single screen system I could easily use those quadro drivers *sigh*