PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong?

artfan1
03-09-2003, 10:33 PM
Ok, I love LW. I am new but am learning it at school and I think it is just wonderful. When modeling simple objects, it screems. I can pan and rotate my objects very fast.

But just for fun, I thought I would open some completed models from the CD, just to study them. I was curious how certain things might have been modeled. So I opened the 1967 Chevy Impala. And a couple others. They open very slow and it is almost impossible to rotate them in perspective view, or zoom and pan in any veiw. I click on the rotate button, move my mouse and wait. Eventually, it will move but not very much. I even tried setting my "patch devisions" down to 1 and that didn't help.

Am I missing something? Are those models just too complex for my 933mhz G4? I am sure it's me and I hope there is just a setting that I need to change. By the way, I am in OSX.

Thanks and sorry for the stupid question.

artfan1

Capt'n Hector
03-09-2003, 10:49 PM
try viewing the object in layout. Modeler is very slow on the mac with large objects, both OS 9 and OS X. Layout will convert the object to a bounding box when you rotate so it should go much smoother. A better video card might help too. Think radeon 9700. Finally, try splitting the object up into layers, viewing the object in flat shading mode, getting rid of the subpatches if worst comes to worst.